CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Results - First 1/4 Mile Run with Procharger (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597270)

cjperformance 09-13-2021 01:39 PM

Results - First 1/4 Mile Run with Procharger

1 Attachment(s)
Car #101 - Wanted to post this here in case anyone else wants baseline info on what to expect from a basic Procharger install.

Car is 2017 2SS. Only real work done is wheels/tires and Procharger with base Procharger tune. No custom tune... yet.

Did a "normal" burnout. Track was well prepped, no spin.

I *think* this works out to be around 11.7@120 using corrected values. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Procharger P1X w/ Stage 2 Intercooler

Wheels/Tires:
Front:
Racestar Recluse 95 20x10 22 offset
NT 555 G2 285/30-20

Rear:
Racestar Recluse 95 20x11 41 offset
NT05 305/30-20

Working on skilling up my tuning knowledge, installing wideband, etc... so next steps are going to be working on the tune.

ZachU 09-13-2021 02:10 PM

That's awesome and thank you for posting this. It sounds like you and I are in the exact same place right now with our cars. I have the same Procharger set up, ordered a wideband and have HP tuners and have yet to modify the Procharger tune other than 3bar map sensor calibration. It's nice to see the 1/4 mile times for an almost identical set up. What was in the right lane??? A mustang? Lol

cjperformance 09-13-2021 02:18 PM

I had been thinking about a 3 bar map sensor. Where did you get yours? If you have a part number or something that would be great!

I dont know what was in right lane. I was super-focused. Some kind of sedan... :/

ZachU 09-13-2021 03:05 PM

I just ordered one from O'Reilly. I believe this is the right P/N
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...xoCdLQQAvD_BwE

If you need help adjusting for it in the tune let me know. I also did the DSX baro breakout harness as well.

cjperformance 09-13-2021 03:34 PM

I just started watching some videos on how to fill in the additional data needed for a 3 bar. Gonna need to watch a couple more though.

Good to know there's another resource out there willing to help! I appreciate the offer!

ZachU 09-13-2021 05:21 PM

Yeah....I did the same thing and ultimately found what I needed and it worked. It was very simple changes that need to be made to the linear and offset in the MAP section. Glad I did the research before paying someone to change two parameters in my tune...I'm very glad I bought HPTuners so I can tune the car myself. Waiting on my wideband and double gauge pillar to arrive and then the real fun will begin with tuning. That being said, I will be watching more videos from Goat Rope Garage and taking the car to my friend who is going to help me tune it on his Dynojet.

Eldi Z 09-13-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjperformance (Post 11070097)
Car #101 - Wanted to post this here in case anyone else wants baseline info on what to expect from a basic Procharger install.

Car is 2017 2SS. Only real work done is wheels/tires and Procharger with base Procharger tune. No custom tune... yet.

Did a "normal" burnout. Track was well prepped, no spin.

I *think* this works out to be around 11.7@120 using corrected values. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Procharger P1X w/ Stage 2 Intercooler

Wheels/Tires:
Front:
Racestar Recluse 95 20x10 22 offset
NT 555 G2 285/30-20

Rear:
Racestar Recluse 95 20x11 41 offset
NT05 305/30-20

Working on skilling up my tuning knowledge, installing wideband, etc... so next steps are going to be working on the tune.

Looking good :w00t:
How do you find PC's "canned tune" in other respects? Drivability, idle, Etc.?
Any issues like overly rich/lean? Is your fuel 93 pump?
Do you know the max boost level?
How soon in the RPM do you feel full-boost kicking in with the P1X ?
Did you measure R-WHP on a dyno?

s346k 09-13-2021 06:46 PM

what kind of power gain does procharger claim for the p1x? that timeslip looks like a bone stock car with drag radials.

wnta1ss 09-14-2021 06:47 AM

IMO those speeds (93/117) are lower than they should have been with the supercharger. I do understand that using the canned tune can hold you back, as I have seen a Magnuson SS using their canned tune and it was weak, 480s on the dyno and 119 on the dragstrip. Was your TCM unlocked and tuned as part of the install?

Agree with using the 3-BAR MAP sensor in the manifold (I used the red GM one with my Paxton), and also installing a baro breakout (I ended up with the DSX kit), for your upcoming custom tune.

cjperformance 09-14-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldi Z (Post 11070240)
Looking good :w00t:
Any issues like overly rich/lean? Is your fuel 93 pump?

It's ok. Not great... but ok. There are no "problems", but it feels a lot less torquey in the part throttle range, less throttle responsive compared to the NA/stock tune. I am assuming that the loss in torquey feel either has a lot to do with the tune, or I am just having an altered perception due to the power increase up higer.

Idle rpm seems like it was raised by the PC tune for some reason, but idle quality is fine. They prob increased it so you can hear the SC whine at idle.

Gas mileage is hard to say because I cant keep my foot out of it :) It's too much fun. I did managed to get a good 50 mile highway stretch with limited pedal mashing and was getting 26-27 MPG.

Any issues like overly rich/lean?

Prob overly rich. I've been told the PC canned tune is designed that way. The tailpipes get black as can be after only 30 min of driving.

Is your fuel 93 pump?

Yes

Technically, no. Supposed to be 7 PSI. I have my wideband and boost gauge on the way.

It's very linear... not like a turbo spooling or anything. The lower RPM range (0-3000) feels less powerful with the PC tune compared to NA/stock tune. But it really lights up around 3000-4000 RPM. You gradually build boost through the rpms, so just more noticeable at higher RPM.

No. I really want to learn and do as much as I can myself. For me, the 1/4 mile is going to be my measurement. I may put on a dyno eventually. I've been procrastinating doing the wideband and tuning due to time and cost. I'm the type of person who hates to take a car in to anyone else for anything. I'd rather learn and do it myself. Even if I mess up. At least I'll learn.

cjperformance 09-14-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s346k (Post 11070267)
what kind of power gain does procharger claim for the p1x? that timeslip looks like a bone stock car with drag radials.

You've got a very valid point. I was initially very disappointed with the result. The corrected values made me feel a little better, but yeah, hopefully there is a lot to gain in the tune. If not, I'll be ripping it apart to figure out what's wrong.

Couple things to think about though...

One, it's the canned tune. I've heard folks say, it's basically a safe tune so you can drive it to the tuner. I agree. I haven't done that yet, because honestly, I want to learn to do it myself. Was waiting for after my first benchmarks at the strip before I mess with the tune.

Two, the car, on the same track, was previously in the 12.6@113 (12.4@114 corrected) ET range, so getting an 11.9@117 (11.7@120 corrected) ET is a huge improvement.

Working backwards, calculating the stock flywheel horsepower with the online calculators was spot on at 450HP flywheel with the corrected numbers NA/stock.

With the new corrected numbers, it puts it around 540 flywheel HP. About half of what it is supposed to be with the PC. Only a 90HP improvement, where the kit claims 160 to 180.

So, while I'm disappointed, it is what it is. I'm really hoping it just means there's a lot of very obvious differences I should be able to make with the tune. I think it will be a great learning experience. I've got a lot of past experience with older cars to build on at least.

cjperformance 09-14-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnta1ss (Post 11070441)
IMO those speeds (93/117) are lower than they should have been with the supercharger. I do understand that using the canned tune can hold you back, as I have seen a Magnuson SS using their canned tune and it was weak, 480s on the dyno and 119 on the dragstrip. Was your TCM unlocked and tuned as part of the install?

Agree with using the 3-BAR MAP sensor in the manifold (I used the red GM one with my Paxton), and also installing a baro breakout (I ended up with the DSX kit), for your upcoming custom tune.

I was wondering if it would be better to learn by altering the AFR and Spark with the existing setup, before I delve into going from 1 bar to 3 bar. I don't have a great understanding right now of what all needs to change when going 1 bar to 3 bar sensor other than extending some of the tables with the new values. Need to revisit some of those videos and better understand how to extrapolate the values needed. Maybe it's not that complicated?

I'm not clear at all at the moment how the tune that's there right now functions with a 1 bar. The 1 bar maxes out at 118 Kpa... so my assumption is that anything above 102Kpa is assumed to be full throttle and the fueling is fudged with artificially high numbers for that pressure.

I have experience with "old school" engine tuning, as well as understanding of how FI works. I have a degree from a tech school and was a mechanic in the early 2000's before I became a software engineer. So I've got the basic knowledge of how the mechanicals and software work, just not any experience so far with tuning FI for performance on Gen V. I figure if I just stick with small incremental changes, I should be okay for starters.

KingLT1 09-14-2021 10:20 AM

I helped a guy (ZT Zooming on YT) sort out the procharger canned tune when he installed a P1x on his car. The supplied tune was horrible....wasn't even entering PE mode and running extremely lean. He has some vids on that might help you out.

I also fixed a P1x tune on a SS A8 a friend of mine bought from a forum member. Mainly the trans tune...the engine tune was pretty good. It runs good for 93 octane. It's a real close race between him and my brothers 2019 A10 ZL1 with a ported tb and cai.

So there is a ton left in your setup even on pump gas. The SS really needs to be on a blend of Ethanol fuel so it can run some timing. Pump gas limits a SS to about 11-13 degrees of timing unless you lower compression. On E40 you can run 17+ degrees.

The procharger tune pretty much allows you to drive the car with their product and that's about it.

s346k 09-14-2021 11:26 AM

id be looking at the tune, for sure. i've read how bad the canned tunes are, but i have no personal experience with them.

for reference, my car bone stock went 12.6 @ 115 with da a little worse than yours. it picked up 6 mph in worse weather with bolt ons. 8 mph with the same bolt ons & drag wheels.