CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   I think we all want to save $$$ (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565004)

nystyle246 11-10-2019 04:30 PM

I think we all want to save $$$

2 Attachment(s)
I work my ass off... Im all about saving money and moding my car.Can ayone tell me the difference???

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...016-12254.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-2...torefresh=true

95 imp 11-10-2019 04:37 PM

The Mishimoto doesn't appear to have "excellent function"?

caSStro18 11-10-2019 05:03 PM

Question about these oil catch cans. If they are better for the engine why doesn’t Chevy install them at the factory? Most will probably say “cost”. But if they prolong engine life wouldn’t Chevy WANT to install them to save cost in warranty repairs?

redcoats1976 11-10-2019 05:13 PM

i think it depends upon how hard you are driving and the amount of blowby you are getting.if youre going through a quart of oil between changes you ought to have one.if you go 5,000 miles without needing oil the benefits would be less.less consumption= less valve coking.

Zaqwert6 11-10-2019 06:07 PM

There's no rocket science to an oil separator/catch can.

19SW1LE 11-10-2019 06:39 PM

Mishimoto is designed for use in a 6th gen camaro and uses oem fittings, and pre bent hoses to route cleanly in the engine bay. It was also tested and backed by warranty. The ebay one looks universal and you'll have figure out mounting and routing. If you're handy and want to take a chance with the ebay one, thats your choice.

JLSuperfly 11-10-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10658195)
The Mishimoto doesn't appear to have "excellent function"?

I concur. LOL :laughabove:

Vtor_ZL1 11-10-2019 07:29 PM

or those fugly fkn huge hose clamps.

avalonandl 11-10-2019 10:09 PM

Don't the LT1 have oil traps in the pcv lines? Those little black boxes?

95 imp 11-11-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 (Post 10658293)
or those fugly fkn huge hose clamps.

You can buy a pinch clamp and it would look sano.

Zaqwert6 11-11-2019 07:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The factory connectors are reusable, the heck with ugly hose clamps. Mounting is as easy as finding an available bolt. Really simple to make it look stock.

Martinjlm 11-11-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caSStro18 (Post 10658207)
Question about these oil catch cans. If they are better for the engine why doesn’t Chevy install them at the factory? Most will probably say “cost”. But if they prolong engine life wouldn’t Chevy WANT to install them to save cost in warranty repairs?

I am pretty good friends with the current chief engineer for Chevy Small Block engines. When I took delivery of my car in January 2017 and was talking to him about possible mods, I specifically asked him about catch cans. Paraphrasing a little, his response was "if you really want to just give your money away you can just give it to me."

I also asked him about E85 and he confirmed what I pretty much already knew. The engine has all the appropriate hardened parts to run E85, but some of the vehicle assembly plant added parts like the fuel lines and fuel pump would need to be changed out. He also suggested better flowing injectors. And he confirmed that those changes would void my warranty. So I haven't invested in a catch can and have no plans to ever do so. And I haven't converted to E85 yet. Yet. ;)

DaveC113 11-11-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 10658466)
I am pretty good friends with the current chief engineer for Chevy Small Block engines. When I took delivery of my car in January 2017 and was talking to him about possible mods, I specifically asked him about catch cans. Paraphrasing a little, his response was "if you really want to just give your money away you can just give it to me."

I also asked him about E85 and he confirmed what I pretty much already knew. The engine has all the appropriate hardened parts to run E85, but some of the vehicle assembly plant added parts like the fuel lines and fuel pump would need to be changed out. He also suggested better flowing injectors. And he confirmed that those changes would void my warranty. So I haven't invested in a catch can and have no plans to ever do so. And I haven't converted to E85 yet. Yet. ;)

Any idea why the car isn't flex-fuel from the factory?

That's one thing that seems odd to me, E85, high compression and DI work well together. I'd rather run E85 and have a bit more power.

Agreed on the catch-can.

Martinjlm 11-11-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveC113 (Post 10658482)
Any idea why the car isn't flex-fuel from the factory?

That's one thing that seems odd to me, E85, high compression and DI work well together. I'd rather run E85 and have a bit more power.

Agreed on the catch-can.

GM's push for E85 was always focused on getting fuel economy credits for having a high number of E85 vehicles in the fleet, so the focus was on high volume applications. The reason small blocks are E85 capable at all was to get high volumes of pickups and utilities in the "E85 fleet" to max out the credits. To reduce build complexity in the engine plants that build small blocks (which valves and seats are hardened? which ones are not?) the simple solution was to harden everything and keep it moving. That's the powertrain side of things.

On the vehicle side, the decision to make this nameplate or that nameplate E85 capable was a combination of maxxing out E85 credits plus cost reduction in the form of material content. If a car was not high enough volume to contribute to E85 credits, no need spending the money to make it capable. Camaro and Corvette are blips on the vehicle volume meter. Add to that the fact that E85 delivers lower fuel economy. I think GM would have to show both E10 and E85 FE numbers on the Monroney. Not sure if that would impact gas guzzler or not.