CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   2SS bass and significant door panel rattle (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545394)

Val Walkinshaw 01-03-2019 06:25 AM

2SS bass and significant door panel rattle

2018 2SS with stock stereo and speakers. Since day 1 music with pronounced bass presence causes an embarrassingly significant rattle on the drivers side. Not a blown speaker. Seems to diminish about 50% when I push on the center door insert panel. However, the amount of pressure I'm putting on it could be dampening something upstream from the problem. Anyone else have this specific problem and found a fix other than tearing the door apart and figuring out as I go? I'm not interested in going to the dealer for something of this nature. I only trust them for bigger issues....saw other posts on this and it's not the plugs on the bottom side of the door.

red_johnny 01-03-2019 10:18 AM

Have the same issue. Haven't had time to investigate what the problem is yet but mine is on both drivers and passengers sides. I don't see how there can be this much rattle, don't they have teams who test these?

oOKhanhOo 01-03-2019 02:41 PM

Best to take the door off and add sound deadener/CCF. I believe it’s the factory plastic piece that blocks moisture that’s causing the rattle.

Ryephile 01-03-2019 02:53 PM

It's classic GM and how they designed the door panel. They're using a variety of materials that all have different coefficients of expansion, so at different temperatures the door will rattle differently. On top of that they use a strange collection of fasteners that result in a rattle trap. It's the nature of owning a GM car. You'll have to take the panel off and re-engineer the door+panel to minimize the resonances. A good car audio shop should be able to take care of it with off-the-hip wisdom.

GP86 01-05-2019 10:04 PM

I have exactly the same issue with the same "fix." I have yet to look into addressing it but I might try to check it out this spring. It has gotten worse over the last 3 years of owning the car. Just today it was as bad as ever and I've reached my limit of being able to deal with it.

desertmonkey 01-06-2019 10:54 AM

Yup. Same problem for me.
I’m taking it in this week for warranty work and was hoping this would be covered?

Val Walkinshaw 01-06-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryephile (Post 10400357)
It's classic GM and how they designed the door panel. They're using a variety of materials that all have different coefficients of expansion, so at different temperatures the door will rattle differently. On top of that they use a strange collection of fasteners that result in a rattle trap. It's the nature of owning a GM car. You'll have to take the panel off and re-engineer the door+panel to minimize the resonances. A good car audio shop should be able to take care of it with off-the-hip wisdom.

I appreciate your feedback. In my experience ,I believe this may be more of a "Camaro" thing and not just a "GM" thing. I come from a family of die hard GM owners and I myself have owned 2 blazers, and 4 camaros. In the family we have had 3 malibus, 4 blazers, 3 trucks ranging from 1985 to 2018 and none have rattled like this car. My '85 came close though. I'm not knocking your opinion, I'm just sharing mine. I'll be the first to tell you my daily driving economy Scion/Toyota Xb has less rattles. I just hate to give all GM a bad name when it does seem to be isolated (IMO) to Camaros. Even my Dad's '86 vette with 250k miles doesn't rattle as bad as my Unicorn.

Val Walkinshaw 01-06-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo (Post 10400337)
Best to take the door off and add sound deadener/CCF. I believe it’s the factory plastic piece that blocks moisture that’s causing the rattle.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

17rsvert 01-06-2019 01:12 PM

I have a 2017 V6 2LT convertible with the stock Bose. I have to raise the volume to maximum before I hear any rattles, and they are barely noticable because the music is so loud. I rarely play it that loud anyway, but I just wanted to point out that not every Camaro has this problem.

Booher 01-06-2019 01:55 PM

I'm not positive, but I think I remember reading the plugs on the bottom of the door vibrating may be the culprit. Same issue here, just hasn't bothered enough to investigate.

JaxChris 01-06-2019 10:09 PM

Patches of sound mat around the attachment points of the door trim panel, and fast rings around/behind the door speakers should be a good start.

I haven't checked the clearance of the glass on mine, but if you can cup the back of the speaker all the way to the door skin, without blocking glass travel, then you will greatly diminish air displacement in the rest of the door and avoid most of the rattle. The sound mat around remaining sensitive points should take care of the rest. No reason to go crazy with full matting inside and out.

desertmonkey 02-08-2019 02:15 PM

Quick update: Took it to the dealer, they spent a few hours working on it and the rattles have reduced and is no longer audible at lower volumes. I'm not sure what they did but I doubt they can completely get rid of the rattles (Still rattles at medium to high volume). I might just end up taking it to an audio shop if it continues to bother me