CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Supercharger Tank recommendations (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558580)

Jason18ZL1LE 07-18-2019 11:26 AM

Supercharger Tank recommendations

Hey guys. I currently have the Prospeed 1.5gal fender expansion tank for my ZL1 1LE, however it still deals with slight air issues and requires filling through the valve which is a PITA...

What tanks are you guys using? I prefer something in front of the engine and not on top of the header area and a large fill cap to make bleeding and filling easy since I do road racing and need easy access.

rlarsen462 07-18-2019 11:51 AM

I mean the ADM reservoir (basically the edelbrock reservoir with hoses and a mount) is outside of your description since it technically mounts above the headers, but I've had zero issues with it including a very hot track day at 5000 ft elevation. I suspect since when mounted it's essentially the highest point in the circuit, it purges air really effectively (the return draw/suction to the intercooler pump comes off the bottom of the reservoir also).

Jason18ZL1LE 07-18-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarsen462 (Post 10574452)
I mean the ADM reservoir (basically the edelbrock reservoir with hoses and a mount) is outside of your description since it technically mounts above the headers, but I've had zero issues with it including a very hot track day at 5000 ft elevation. I suspect since when mounted it's essentially the highest point in the circuit, it purges air really effectively (the return draw/suction to the intercooler pump comes off the bottom of the reservoir also).

Are you running stock manifolds or LTH? Are you ceramic coated? Im slightly concerned about heating up the tank since I do mostly desert tracks which can get quite warm. I will be ceramic coating my headers but if I go this route I will be adding a heat shield of some sort to the tank.

Jimabe 07-18-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarsen462 (Post 10574452)

+1 for ADM rez

SFV1LE 07-18-2019 01:46 PM

I'm curious, with the mods you have does your radiator coolant temp rise on track? I'm in the same area with a 100% stock ZLE and track at BW, ACS, WS etc. I'm wondering how a modded ZL1 handles the heat on road courses.

Rlhay2 07-18-2019 01:49 PM

I have the Cordes trunk tank.

PROMETHEUS 07-18-2019 01:49 PM

The more mods, the less likely the stock cooling system is going to handle it. As stock, this car is a beast on the track, along with little to no cooling problems.

Mcmillion 07-18-2019 01:49 PM

The Cordes tanks seem like the only two that fit your description, but subscribing if there are others out now.

EDFHOBBIES 07-18-2019 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
On my 2650 page I show how to make the ADM edelbrock setup... for about 60 bucks

I think bite the bullet take out the carpet out and the large foam part in the tire well and run the rule 3700 5 to 7 gallon tanks they work very dam well for 500 or lower.

Or if you have mucho dinereo and care about trunk appearance and want to hide the reservoir a custom tank with the Stewart emp mounted on the rear crash support.

1200.00 buck option maybe more if you ger real fancy with AN lines...

right now Im having a tank made with an exchanger built inside it where i lay ice on the exchanger so i don't deal with flushing or draining the ice out of the system..

rlarsen462 07-18-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason18ZL1LE (Post 10574457)
Are you running stock manifolds or LTH? Are you ceramic coated? Im slightly concerned about heating up the tank since I do mostly desert tracks which can get quite warm. I will be ceramic coating my headers but if I go this route I will be adding a heat shield of some sort to the tank.

Bone stock aside from Soler TB, green filter, and catback

IneedAZ 07-18-2019 02:16 PM

Why is the ADM so much more expensive than the Edelbrock?

rlarsen462 07-18-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IneedAZ (Post 10574617)
Why is the ADM so much more expensive than the Edelbrock?

It's mostly markup for putting the kit and bracket together I imagine. I didn't want to deal with putting it all together so I didn't mind paying the premium. I think he's out of stock a lot though.

Alain 07-18-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarsen462 (Post 10574667)
It's mostly markup for putting the kit and bracket together I imagine. I didn't want to deal with putting it all together so I didn't mind paying the premium. I think he's out of stock a lot though.

That thing is never in stock !!! Been checking in for a while.

Of course, the second I stop checking the website will be the time they get more stock.

SilverZl1 07-18-2019 05:19 PM

Another vote here for the ADM (Edelbrock) rez. I also have the Prospeed fender tank. Had air pocket issues and solved it by adding the little rez over the drivers side header. I’m running 2” LTH’s with no coating or extra heat shield and have had no heat problems with the ADM rez. Plenty of 100+ degree and crazy humid days here in Texas and I run it hard.