CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Quick-swapping mufflers for Laguna Seca sound (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594052)

R3ctivision 06-23-2021 12:31 PM

Quick-swapping mufflers for Laguna Seca sound

Hey all, I haven't run my car at Laguna since I absolutely destroyed the 92 dB limit a year ago (even when short shifting). :confused0068: I do pass 103 dB sound at Sonoma Raceway and Thunderhill. I'm currently running a AWE Touring catback exhaust and a Rotofab dry intake. I was thinking I might be able to pass 92 dB if I swap the intake to stock, swap the muffler to stock, and put on Laguna tips on the stock muffler. To make the exhaust system easily swappable, I am thinking of keeping the AWE pipes, cutting off the AWE mufflers behind the diff, and using V-clamps to put on either the AWE mufflers+tips or the stock suitcase+custom turned tips as needed based on the event.

Has anyone done this? Will it work? Will it be a PIA with exhaust leaks and fitment issues? I don't even know what the pipe diameters are for stock and AWE Touring. I'd guess stock is smaller, so that may pose a problem for mating the suitcase to AWE pipes.

SFV1LE 06-23-2021 01:41 PM

I recall you're the guy who bought Jeff Cooks car, he had a bolt on Laguna pipe solution using the stock exhaust and I believe this worked.

There's a company in the Bay Area that makes a very slick looking slip or clamp-on solution, I'll search for them.

airtroop01 06-23-2021 03:37 PM

Laguna and their sound restrictions kill me. So frustrating.
Or rather people that move next to the racetrack and then complain about the sound to the city of Monterey… makes no sense.

JSH 06-23-2021 04:09 PM

Without reading every post, just put the stock catback on it

R3ctivision 06-23-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFV1LE (Post 11029518)
I recall you're the guy who bought Jeff Cooks car, he had a bolt on Laguna pipe solution using the stock exhaust and I believe this worked.

There's a company in the Bay Area that makes a very slick looking slip or clamp-on solution, I'll search for them.

Yep, I have that stock exhaust and his custom tips in my garage. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with an easy muffler swap solution so I can run the AWE when away from Laguna :) appreciate if you have a pointer to that company :)

Rnovrit 06-23-2021 05:11 PM

An alternate set of mufflers with v-band clamps would most likely be the quickest to get on and off. I don't think our cars in stock form will pass Seca sound. I personally like Sonoma over Seca. The new track at Thunder hill is my second favorite though Rovals hit the top of the list.

Try2paz 06-24-2021 12:47 PM

Even with the stock mufflers you wont past 92..

You have to look for 95 DB days which are out there and then of course 105.

I pass 95DB days using laguna pipes and these inserts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cci-3di25r

Obviously get the right insert for your size of LS pipe. I've had them tack welded inside the pipes and they cancel out the sound.

They work great and I've had no issues but id give up on the pipe dream of making 92DB days.

rickybobby 06-25-2021 08:07 PM

I have stock exhaust and Laguna pipes and can do 92 db days without any issues.
It actually sounds better going down the front straight since the pipes shoot the sound to the left and off of the wall. Haha.
I’ve got a 90db day next week and will report back if I have any issues.

SFV1LE 06-25-2021 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3ctivision (Post 11029635)
Yep, I have that stock exhaust and his custom tips in my garage. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with an easy muffler swap solution so I can run the AWE when away from Laguna :) appreciate if you have a pointer to that company :)

I couldn’t find the company, frustrated about that they looked like a top notch track prep place.