CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   At my wits end. Need some ideas (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538745)

BCKTLST 09-16-2018 10:31 AM

At my wits end. Need some ideas

I haven’t posted on here for over a year but hoping someone has heard of this or has some ideas. My last posts were about the same starter issues.

First let me say it’s not only HEAT Soaking.
That may be the secondary issue, but something else is the root cause of the starters going out. What is causing them to totally burn up on this particular Camaro? Two of the times that this has happened the engine was cold.

I have had 4 starters replaced on my 2017 SS 50th Anniversary before today and it only has 10,272 miles. It has been on the back of a rollback tow truck 4 before today in 2 years... Tonight I had to have it towed again from my driveway, and the engine was cold and it’s the starter again. This is the second time this year that it has happened. First one was in April and I have only put 1100 miles on it since then.

It Doesn’t seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold when it happens

Chevy garage and Detroit seem to have no ideas as to why this keeps happening.

I have done search after search and find nothing like this posted anywhere. I hate to think about getting rid of this car, but it is totally unreliable

Looking for any ideas that may help the garage.

Pi kappa alpha 09-16-2018 10:43 AM

I would just got rid of the car. This is insane.

BCKTLST 09-16-2018 10:46 AM

I’m afraid that’s what it is coming to. The wife is really starting to hound me hard. It just isn’t reliable. Run great when it starts, but has left us setting to many times.

Blazin383 09-16-2018 10:46 AM

Wow, I've never heard of an issue like that! Gotta be some kind of an electrical short! Can't believe they can figure it out. Sounds like a case for the Lemon Law! Good luck!

Deakins 09-16-2018 10:48 AM

Do you happen to use the remote start feature?

jdasnt3 09-16-2018 10:50 AM

It certainly shouldn't be "heat" related. I had my car for two years in FL and never ever had an issue with my starter. 20K miles and no issues.

Pi kappa alpha 09-16-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCKTLST (Post 10312626)
I’m afraid that’s what it is coming to. The wife is really starting to hound me hard. It just isn’t reliable. Run great when it starts, but has left us setting to many times.

Are you going to disclose this issue when you sell/trade it in?

BCKTLST 09-16-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi kappa alpha (Post 10312625)
I would just got rid of the car. This is insane.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deakins (Post 10312628)
Do you happen to use the remote start feature?

It’s a manual so no remote start

Sweptwing 09-16-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Have any factory reps been involved? Is the dealer just swapping out the starter motor without any further investigation? I would hope that by this time they would be looking at mechanical alignment, mounting and other non electrical possibilities. I know how maddening something like this can be, good luck and I wish you a speedy solution.

Wierd Harold 09-16-2018 11:23 AM

There was a post a long way back about a crankshaft thrust bearing issue.I pretty sure engine was replaced.

Sweptwing 09-16-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wierd Harold (Post 10312654)
There was a post a long way back about a crankshaft thrust bearing issue.I pretty sure engine was replaced.

That is exactly the type situation that I was talking about.

nelsont 09-16-2018 12:22 PM

Dump it if they cant fix it!

Tim

soloknight6 09-16-2018 01:22 PM

4 starters replaced in 10k miles, it’s not the starter that’s the problem. Something is causing them to fail, dead starters are a symptom of the actual problem.. Since you’re an M6, look into this;

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507133

If it proves too difficult for a dealer to track the problem, I’d look into lemon law to get a buyback.

Wierd Harold 09-16-2018 02:01 PM

Thx solo,that's the thread , hopefully the op can print this off and show his guessing dealer.Glad this old guys memory isn't failing yet,lol. thanks