CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Catted vs. Catless - Is It Worth It (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545488)

parkersextonn 01-04-2019 10:29 AM

Catted vs. Catless - Is It Worth It

I have been debating on purchasing a set of headers but don't know if it is worth it to go catless. I know that catless headers give you a few more HP, but is it worth it in the end when dealing with inspections & such. Any insight would be appreciated.

SJFGTO 01-04-2019 10:50 AM

I don't know what type of emissions inspections are required in your jurisdiction, but catless will fail a sniffer test. Cats are only worth around 5 HP on a dyno with LTs and no other mods. Plus catless does result in a gasoline smell that some find annoying. Catless can also create a raspy exhaust sound, although the rest of the exhaust system can mitigate that. If it were me I would keep the stock cats or swap out for Kooks green cats which are a high quality low restriction cat. FWIW, I am catless because I do not trust running cats with LTs on a FI engine.

JonD 01-04-2019 12:39 PM

I went ARH catless 2x3 and don’t really sense any crazy smells.

It also picked up more torque than a similar car with the smaller headers.

Go to my instagram page below to see videos as the sound is amazing

kropscamaro16 01-04-2019 01:05 PM

i have catted headers and was told dont need catless unless your running race gas

Boost Creep 01-05-2019 04:36 PM

I had catted long tube headers on my '06 GTO, I noticed a smell with the cats, rotten egg like, not fuel.
On my '08 C6 I had cat-less long tube headers and noticed no smell at all.

Plan on cat-less this time if only for the increase in sound.

JonD 01-05-2019 07:40 PM

Quick vid I put together from getting my ARH 2x3” Catless Full System on Thursday.

I couldn’t find any decent clips online when I was looking to purchase
https://youtu.be/wqNf2WDzlYI

USAFS197 01-06-2019 12:15 PM

Now that I have a complete system. I must admit, it’s a hell of a lot louder than I expected. I have had several different V8’s with off-road connected longtubes but this combination is really, really loud even when I attempt to keep it quiet. Strong chance that I’ll get some sort of resonator to quiet this down.

I’m not a fan of leaving power on the table or buying the same modification twice. To that end, be sure you know what you want ahead of time and are willing to wait to purchase exactly what you want. So, I went with 2” longtubes without cats because even leaving 5hp on the table is too much to me.

Scargoes 01-06-2019 01:19 PM

For me personally, I would never go without a cat if the vehicle was driven on the street. It's not about the smell or difference in HP but that it reduces smog and is better for the environment.

JonD 01-06-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scargoes (Post 10402943)
For me personally, I would never go without a cat if the vehicle was driven on the street. It's not about the smell or difference in HP but that it reduces smog and is better for the environment.

If that were true wouldn’t you be driving an electric vehicle?

Scargoes 01-06-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonD (Post 10402999)
If that were true wouldn’t you be driving an electric vehicle?

No, because I can't afford an electric vehicle that ticks all the boxes that I wanted. I don't like the Model 3 as I am uncomfortable with the driving position (and other things about the car, some of which I can't discuss), and the Model S has it's own thermal issues. And while I am polluting more in the 200 miles I drive my Camaro every month, that doesn't mean I can't attempt to be a good steward of the land and keep the federally mandated emission control devices on the vehicle. As much as some people bitch and moan about how it reduces power, it has helped to keep the air we breath cleaner and thus keeping people from getting sicker.

JonD 01-06-2019 07:31 PM

Well.... ok :iono:

Catless is my vote so it’s good there are options regardless of the viewpoint people come up with

GTSLOW 01-07-2019 12:25 PM

I'm going catted with my LT's. After owning a catless LT 02 T/A (LS1) and a catless LT 05 GTO (LS2) I'll pass on the raspy sound you get without them.

R3ctivision 01-07-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scargoes (Post 10402943)

This.

7speed 01-07-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTSLOW (Post 10403762)
I'm going catted with my LT's. After owning a catless LT 02 T/A (LS1) and a catless LT 05 GTO (LS2) I'll pass on the raspy sound you get without them.

This too :bellyroll: