CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Mid spoiler blade/ trunk edge issue (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567699)

Reddy1LE 01-03-2020 04:57 PM

Mid spoiler blade/ trunk edge issue

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, happy new year and happy holidays. So I just noticed on my car that there is a huge chunk of paint missing/ ripped off. I didn’t take a pic earlier, I’ll do so tomorrow morning, but I posted up a photo for reference. Does anyone have any issue in that area?

I guess I had it all along, even in this photo you can see paint missing on the trunk at the edge of the middle spoiler.

Scargoes 01-03-2020 06:58 PM

Mine had that also. The dealer repaired it. The had to remove the trunk and the spoilerto repaint it.

KPzypher 01-03-2020 06:59 PM

Looks like I'm not missing any paint (summit white), but I have a huge gap on either end. I believe I read somewhere that the end pieces are dealer installed, and if that's true my dealer dealer did a sh***y job. I'm gonna have to redo them at some point.

vtirocz 01-03-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPzypher (Post 10692344)
Looks like I'm not missing any paint (summit white), but I have a huge gap on either end. I believe I read somewhere that the end pieces are dealer installed, and if that's true my dealer dealer did a sh***y job. I'm gonna have to redo them at some point.

That's a separate issue, but GM really should change the process to have the end pieces installed at the plant for more consistent fitment / gaps. There have been several posts on misaligned end pieces.

beedo 01-06-2020 02:46 AM

Mine has the missing paint issues as well, I bought touch up paint and clear so it doesn't corrode

madscotsman 01-06-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtirocz (Post 10692417)
That's a separate issue, but GM really should change the process to have the end pieces installed at the plant for more consistent fitment / gaps. There have been several posts on misaligned end pieces.

^THIS, plus the dealerships put adhesion promoter all over the fender tops, potentially ruining the paint when they mount the winglets. Mine (Red) looked faded and stained under the winglets when I first removed them, until I waxed it with a scratch remover and it sat out in the summer sun a couple days . Not sure if that's how they are directed to do the install from Chevy, but it is definitely not the correct use of adhesion promoter. The 3M adhesion promoter is NOT supposed to be applied to painted surfaces and is only needed to get the double sided tape to adhere to plastic/fiberglass. 3M tape will adhere to the painted surface of a car without issue if the surface is cleaned with alcohol first. Most failures of the tape are when it separates form plastic surfaces or when the painted surface is not cleaned of any wax's or other residue.

importunerdj 01-06-2020 09:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scargoes (Post 10692341)
Mine had that also. The dealer repaired it. The had to remove the trunk and the spoilerto repaint it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beedo (Post 10693631)
Mine has the missing paint issues as well, I bought touch up paint and clear so it doesn't corrode

Quote:

Originally Posted by madscotsman (Post 10693767)
^THIS, plus the dealerships put adhesion promoter all over the fender tops, potentially ruining the paint when they mount the winglets. Mine (Red) looked faded and stained under the winglets when I first removed them, until I waxed it with a scratch remover and it sat out in the summer sun a couple days . Not sure if that's how they are directed to do the install from Chevy, but it is definitely not the correct use of adhesion promoter. The 3M adhesion promoter is NOT supposed to be applied to painted surfaces and is only needed to get the double sided tape to adhere to plastic/fiberglass. 3M tape will adhere to the painted surface of a car without issue if the surface is cleaned with alcohol first. Most failures of the tape are when it separates form plastic surfaces or when the painted surface is not cleaned of any wax's or other residue.

Well that stinks, I have an appt for tomorrow to have it looked at.

I’m pretty sure my issue is what’s described with the last poster, it looks like the 3m has not adhered to the painted surface and is deteriorating.

Jaxcam02 01-06-2020 01:27 PM

I haven't noticed this yet but I need to check now.

madscotsman 01-07-2020 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by importunerdj (Post 10693797)
Well that stinks, I have an appt for tomorrow to have it looked at.

I’m pretty sure my issue is what’s described with the last poster, it looks like the 3m has not adhered to the painted surface and is deteriorating.

Looks more like the adhesion promoter ate the paint when they incorrectly applied it to the painted trunk instead of the spoiler side of the 3M adhesive. Mine has a similar area along the front edge of the spoiler on the passenger side. I had a similar conversation (#5 below) with 3M a few years back when I removed some window louvers from a mustang I had.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/ar.../t-788799.html

GTSLOW 01-08-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtirocz (Post 10692417)

I'm assuming GM leaves them off to prevent and damage/potential theft during shipping. I wish dealers would take better care when installing them.

Mine were so bad they didnt even line up with the spoiler. They were to far out and canted back.

Reddy1LE 01-09-2020 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madscotsman (Post 10694411)
Looks more like the adhesion promoter ate the paint when they incorrectly applied it to the painted trunk instead of the spoiler side of the 3M adhesive. Mine has a similar area along the front edge of the spoiler on the passenger side. I had a similar conversation (#5 below) with 3M a few years back when I removed some window louvers from a mustang I had.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/ar.../t-788799.html

Thank you for this! I mentioned this to the service advisor that this is probably the issue. They couldn't do anything at the time of the appt just assess the damage which is understandable can't imagine them sending it out right now, they said GM wanted pictures and will be in contact with me.

I also showed the advisor my the ends of my spoiler don't exactly sit flush especially the driver side has a much bigger gap compared to the passenger. Hopefully they replace that as well but that seems to be a easier fix if not.

CrazyCatGuy 01-09-2020 03:52 PM

Thanks for pointing this out. I just noticed my passenger side has a couple noticeable flakes near the trunk lid spoiler. Time to hit up Dr. Colorchip!