CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Not proud but need your advice(ran out of gas) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561029)

Cannon Green 08-26-2019 05:00 PM

Not proud but need your advice(ran out of gas)

2018 1SS bought in april of this year brand new now has 2750 miles. Friday I was on E when I started my car in the morning, drove to work. On my lunch I put $5 gas in the car(supreme) at the crappy gas station by work and was going to get a half tank or whatever after work at my normal Mobil station.. I thought. After work went to my friends house for a minute then on my way to the gas station ran out of gas while driving. Yikes.. my friend came with a gallon and I went straight to the gas station. :emoticon1::doh: Now I felt a slight delay in acceleration on saturday and sunday but cant notice anymore... Did I mess something up probably? Did I get used to less power? Did the car adjust back to normal? Should I be honest with the dealership or would running out of gas be considered neglect and they may not cover it under warranty? Any advice please and thank you.

KirkH 08-26-2019 05:44 PM

Sounds like there was air in the fuel lines and has been purged out now.

I have heard of people on this board running their car out of fuel purposely in order to fill with E85 so I think you will be okay.

1hprush 08-26-2019 05:48 PM

Honesty is always the best policy, however, your car doesn't know it ran out of gas, only you do, if the engine isn't getting fuel, it won't run at all, ever. You should be fine if this is your only concern, if you feel there is a problem though and need to take it to the dealer, the problem is unrelated, so no need to mention it to the dealer. Enjoy your car, and start using your lunch money for gas!

Mov Ov3r 08-26-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hprush (Post 10606346)
start using your lunch money for gas!

:thumb:

95 imp 08-26-2019 07:06 PM

FYI.... Running your car below 1/4 tank continuously is a great way to burn out the pump. The fuel in the tank keeps the pump cool.

dpevans 08-26-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10606411)
FYI.... Running your car below 1/4 tank continuously is a great way to burn out the pump. The fuel in the tank keeps the pump cool.

That's just not true. The pump sits in the last 1/2 gallon of fuel in the tank. So when you run your tank down to less than a gallon the pump is still sitting in fuel. Could you really believe that a fuel pump would be designed to fail if not sitting in gas. :dnftt:

oslouie 08-26-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpevans (Post 10606426)
That's just not true. The pump sits in the last 1/2 gallon of fuel in the tank. So when you run your tank down to less than a gallon the pump is still sitting in fuel. Could you really believe that a fuel pump would be designed to fail if not sitting in gas. :dnftt:

Since we have 19 gallon tanks, even if you drive her down til the low fuel warning, you still have 2.xx gallons left, which is much more than half a gallon. From the warning back to a full tank is around 16.5 gallons for me.

95 imp 08-26-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpevans (Post 10606426)

I didn't know you had a flat fuel pump that lays at the bottom of the tank.
In most cars, the pumps are vertical and with, the surface area, the height of a 1/2 gallon of fuel is *maybe* an inch, it wouldn't cover the pickup strainer/tube.

2.5 gallons is a little more than 1/8th tank. *Maybe* (with sloshing) fuel would hit the pump to carry away some heat.

s346k 08-27-2019 12:54 AM

Quote:

ive heard this for years. never experienced a fuel pump failure due to heat. hell my 97 jeep is still on the factory pump. odo clicked 346k miles last week. it has probably been driven at least 500 hours on the low fuel light.

GTSLOW 08-27-2019 01:23 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing this is an old wives tale that never died. :dizzy:

beedo 08-27-2019 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 imp (Post 10606561)
I didn't know you had a flat fuel pump that lays at the bottom of the tank.
In most cars, the pumps are vertical and with, the surface area, the height of a 1/2 gallon of fuel is *maybe* an inch, it wouldn't cover the pickup strainer/tube.

2.5 gallons is a little more than 1/8th tank. *Maybe* (with sloshing) fuel would hit the pump to carry away some heat.

Fuel flowing THROUGH the pump cools it, it doesn't have to to be submerged in fuel.

wintertopdown 08-27-2019 03:18 AM

my man, put some has in the tank and hit the road!

LT4Greg 08-27-2019 08:00 AM

Yeah really and don’t let the tank get so low that you do run out! Those 6.2 liters have a good appetite for gasoline! You didn’t damage your Camaro either! ��

Dave-ROR 08-27-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beedo (Post 10606587)
Fuel flowing THROUGH the pump cools it, it doesn't have to to be submerged in fuel.

Wait.. you mean like most every other fluid pump? NO WAY!

;)

Oh and OP: Your car is fine.