CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Update: USB Ports & Apple CAR PLAY Not Working......Fixed (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435358)

Zack46 01-05-2016 11:43 AM

Update: USB Ports & Apple CAR PLAY Not Working......Fixed

UPDATE:
As everybody knows, my apple car play quit working over the weekend. I took my car into the dealer this morning. Well, there was a reason it wasn't working. Both USB ports weren't working. So, if the USB ports don't work I can't hook up the iphone 6s and no apple carplay. We tried other cables into the USB ports but still no response. So the service technician at the dealership simply reset the actual main car battery. Once, he did that everything worked. We just had to pair up the devices again. So, problem solved. Now, this might be just a quick fix, for now. If it happens again (hopefully it won't) the USB ports plugging into the cars main computer will have to be checked for errors.
I'm Posting this information in case anybody else runs into their USB ports in their Camaros stop working.

Thanks to everyone at Pat O' Brien Chevrolet including James, Jordan, Melissa, Don and Jeff for helping me out with this issue!

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!

SSport16 01-05-2016 11:47 AM

Interesting....thanks for the info. I noticed this morning when my phone was connected via Bluetooth, under the Media tab, states no media available. Have to check that out later, hopefully not an issue that cannot fix!

leadfoot93 01-05-2016 12:12 PM

So in other words, I need to reboot my car like my computer to get things to work again LOL

Glen e 01-05-2016 12:16 PM

A reboot of the car is called "the GM global reset" google it.

It is done this way:
Take off both batt cables and touch them together, this drains all the capacitors that still hold energy even when you pull the neg cable for 10 min.

If this procedure unnerves you, pull the neg cable and let it sit overnight, the caps then drain slowly.

And because the settings are held in NVRAM, very few of them go away on a reset.

Zack46 01-05-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 8824586)
A reboot of the car is called "the GM global reset" google it.

It is done this way:
Take off both batt cables and touch them together, this drains all the capacitors that still hold energy even when you pull the neg cable for 10 min.

If this procedure unnerves you, pull the neg cable and let it sit overnight, the caps then drain slowly.

And because the settings are held in NVRAM, very few of them go away on a reset.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Blade 03-23-2017 06:58 PM

My USB ports just quit working as well. Does this reset, reset all car settings?

Blade 03-26-2017 05:27 PM

I just performed the "GM global reset" steps explained earlier. Solved my issue as well, and all settings were retained as normal.

EvilEngine9 04-02-2017 07:01 PM

After installing the footwell lighting kit, my USB ports went out. No charging nor Android functions. After a reading the Gen5DIY instructions to install the footwell lighting kit, I discovered that it could be the HMI module for the stereo. Which was on the panel I dropped for the footwell lighting installation. So, I dropped the panel back down & pushed in every connector on the HMI module. None of them clicked, but it did work. Very odd that the ports just magically worked again. Fuses & the removing/touching the battery terminals did nothing for me. I'm glad I checked the HMI.

luke2220 04-05-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack46 (Post 8824494)
UPDATE:
As everybody knows, my apple car play quit working over the weekend. I took my car into the dealer this morning. Well, there was a reason it wasn't working. Both USB ports weren't working. So, if the USB ports don't work I can't hook up the iphone 6s and no apple carplay. We tried other cables into the USB ports but still no response. So the service technician at the dealership simply reset the actual main car battery. Once, he did that everything worked. We just had to pair up the devices again. So, problem solved. Now, this might be just a quick fix, for now. If it happens again (hopefully it won't) the USB ports plugging into the cars main computer will have to be checked for errors.
I'm Posting this information in case anybody else runs into their USB ports in their Camaros stop working.

Thanks to everyone at Pat O' Brien Chevrolet including James, Jordan, Melissa, Don and Jeff for helping me out with this issue!

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!

great forum thread.. after you did this did the USB port stop failing? the problem I have with mine is it cuts out for about 5-10 minute then it'll come back on... it doesn't seem like much but when your using ur GPS and all of a sudden it goes out before your turn, the panic starts haha

ctrlz 04-05-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 8824586)

You have to be a bit careful here, particularly if you installed any kind of aftermarket audio with a large cap. Shorting a cap can definitely damage it due to the sudden current spike.

Flavio 01-11-2019 01:16 PM

I have the same issue on my Chevy Camaro. Both USB doors don't work.
How long the battery cables have to remain disconnected? Both cables or only the negative?
Otherwise, I will go to the Chevy dealer and will see if it start to work again.
The car is under warranty so is better if they do this operation.
Thanks for the info.

PnCRedJwl2SS 01-18-2019 12:27 PM

I get an issue that may be related. From time to time, it seems like my USB ports stop working, I keep a tiny thumb drive plugged into one of the ports for mp3 music. When mine stop working I unplug the USB drive and plug it right back in. This brings them back to life. I never had to do the battery cables fix.

Flavio 01-18-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS (Post 10414129)
I get an issue that may be related. From time to time, it seems like my USB ports stop working, I keep a tiny thumb drive plugged into one of the ports for mp3 music. When mine stop working I unplug the USB drive and plug it right back in. This brings them back to life. I never had to do the battery cables fix.

Sounds good!! :thumb:

tom's2005gto 01-18-2019 03:46 PM

Yep. I had the same problem last summer. Did the global reset. No trouble since