CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Complete build progression - Copart 2018 ZL1 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607609)

Sephx1 07-18-2022 10:12 PM

Complete build progression - Copart 2018 ZL1 1LE

6 Attachment(s)
Those of you that have seen my threads might know that I bought a 2016 Camaro SS from Copart in Phoenix last year and rebuilt it with a complete ZL1 body. You can read about that build here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601046

I enjoyed the build so much and learned a lot about putting the car together, and although I also have a 2021 SS 1LE that I purchased new, I realized that I really wanted a ZL1. Rather than take the 21 SS 1LE and try to improve it for the track, I decided to look for a buildable ZL1 1LE.

I found one in Reno, NV and my winning bid was $27,500. Total came to $30,400 after broker and auction fees (Nevada requires members to use a broker, as does California). I picked it up today and brought it up to Lake Tahoe where I’m staying for the week. After cleaning all of the mud off of it where it went off road it looks pretty good. The only surprise that I wasn’t expecting is that the roof is pretty dented up, it looks like someone walked on it. It looks like it took a pretty strong hit to the RF suspension, not much I can see though with it on the ground and the wheel on. I will be updating this thread as I progress with the build for anyone interested in trying this as an alternative to purchasing a clean used car.

WILWAXU 07-18-2022 11:39 PM

Good luck with the project!

Joshinator99 07-19-2022 02:43 AM

Good luck! Definitely interested to see your progress! :happy0180:

Jeauxy 07-19-2022 03:30 PM

This is an amazing grab and can't wait to see how this turns out!

What are the plans for it?

I have the identical car so if you ever want to uhhh.....part it out....uhhhh let me know haha

taylorforschool@gmail.com 07-19-2022 08:56 PM

KEEP US UPDATED. Kudos to you, would be interested to know your final total and hours out into car at the end of your journey too if you didn’t mind sharing!! Good luck!!

Sephx1 07-23-2022 09:54 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone for the comments so far. I brought the car home yesterday 800 miles straight through and got to work on it today. It became evident to me that the right upper side rail in the engine compartment had been moved up and in from the tire hitting it when the knuckle broke in the suspension. I’m guessing this car drove off the road at a high speed and launched into the air and came down on the right side first, and hard. The good news is that other than a right side motor mount nothing else in the steering or suspension seems to be broken. I will be removing both front DSSV shocks tomorrow and having them checked out on a dyno next week.

I’m looking into shops that can replace the upper rail and check out the rest of the frame before I go any further with ordering new parts.

I also found that in addition to the Roto-Fab the car has headers and no cats. I think it sounds odd with the stock muffler. Also it appears to have flex fuel added to it. It sounds like it has a cam in it as well. Also the intercooler doesn’t look OEM to me. Should be quick though. With a 10/17 build date hopefully they changed the oil pump while they were in there.

Revalot 07-23-2022 11:07 PM

Dude talk about nor wasting time. Yes that crank trigger/pulley is not stock.

Sephx1 07-23-2022 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revalot (Post 11204398)
Dude talk about nor wasting time. Yes that crank trigger/pulley is not stock.

I didn’t think so. It looks too cool to be OEM. Yes I can work fast, unfortunately now I’m going to be at the mercy of a shop fixing the frame on their timeline. The last car I fixed I pushed through the door and put up on stands, 60 days later it came down and drove out the door fully repaired.

Sephx1 07-25-2022 12:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Sunday’s progress. Lots of broken parts:

RF strut
RF knuckle
RH motor mount and bracket
Steering rack
RF wheel bent and tire blown

Going back in with the BMR solid mounts. The rest of the parts I found used at AZ Cycle Parts. They have a pretty good selection of Camaro parts, especially ZL1.

LT4Greg 07-25-2022 06:06 PM

Hopefully the subframe and under the car isn’t damaged too bad.

Sephx1 07-25-2022 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picked up some used parts from a low mileage ZLE today, waiting for motor mounts then I’ll reassemble. Moved to the inside tonight to remove seats and remove blown airbags. I love cleaning under the seats. I always find a couple dollars in change under there.

Sephx1 07-25-2022 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT4Greg (Post 11205116)
Hopefully the subframe and under the car isn’t damaged too bad.

Subframes are ok, the lower brace was a little torn up. Bought a new one today.

minn19 07-25-2022 10:38 PM

Great thread, fun to follow, thanks!

CW3SF 07-25-2022 10:40 PM

Great project.

Following