Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Window cracked on inside from defrosters (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335207)

revived 01-02-2014 03:27 AM

Window cracked on inside from defrosters

Really cold this morning with snow left my house and 15 mins later with defroster at max my window cracked 5 inches from bottom runs horizontal across the whole windshield covered underwarranty?

joe h 01-02-2014 03:43 AM

Wouldn't hurt to find out, but your at the mercy of your dealer. This is one of the circumstances where you find out if your dealer is worth repeat business. A good dealer will look the glass over, double check that it wasn't caused by debris, and install a new one without any hassle. A bad dealer will not only deny any warranty claims, but charge the usual dealership mark up.

revived 01-02-2014 03:47 AM

No body was in front of me the whole drive I felt the window and it was screaming hot we're the crack is (wheredefroster points too).

Also was driving 20 tops as everything is snow right now so I'll tell this to dealer also the crack is on the inside

len_eng 01-02-2014 03:49 AM

I live in Mass too and I was under the impression that the windshield is covered by your car insurance policy. If the dealer does not work try your insurance company.

revived 01-02-2014 04:07 AM

I guess it is free in ma I'm going to call anyone know who makes oem glass?

Highland Ranger 01-02-2014 04:41 AM

You can save yourself a trip to dealer by checking crack. Run a ballpoint pen down the crack. If it doesn't catch on anything, probably defective glass or installation issue.

If it does catch on something, probably a stone chip maybe even an old one that caused crack. Could have happened in the summer but just popped now because of thermal shock - hot defroster and cold glass.

revived 01-02-2014 06:56 AM

Alright thanks but my insurance should cover it since im in Massachusetts.

I think it was probably a rock chip like you said that finally got the thermal shock and cracked because these windows don't just crack from heat. Im pretty sure my insurance will cover it no problem.

F-16 Camaro 01-02-2014 12:35 PM

I thought the crack was on the inside? How does a rock chip do that?

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 01-02-2014 12:37 PM

this would likely be an insurance claim, but I would still see if a dealer was willing to warranty as it is on the inside.

MARINE1991 01-02-2014 01:00 PM

There's a known issue with the windshield cracking like that not sure if they issued a tsb on it :iono::pop2:

Sikoriko 01-02-2014 02:05 PM

I guess you can't blame global warming?

revived 01-02-2014 02:31 PM

My insurance is covering it but it's snowing can't really inspect it thouroghly

xtreme industries 01-03-2014 11:25 AM

i believe pilkington makes the oem glass

Eddiefuzz 01-04-2014 03:29 AM

How is your insurance covering it? You have a $0 deductible policy? Insurance never covers windshields because it's a 2-3 hundred dollar repair, and there is a $500 deductible. Warranty? Yeah OK!!! The dealer always needs a good laugh. Could you video walking in and asking for a new windshield because yours cracked inside, and you did the ball point pen check that Highland Ranger told you about..OMG too funny. This is better than the ZL1 that slid on a patch of ice into a Bobcat, and wants to sue the Bobcat owner for having his equipment parked in a parking spot...