CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Where to place 4 jack stands? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585263)

Mister Will 11-29-2020 05:19 PM

Where to place 4 jack stands?

Ask a simple and redundant question, and a great answer may result.

When setting the car on 4 jack stands, where is the best points to place the jack stands? As I understand it, the pinch weld is not the idea spot, and I plan on installing ZL1addon lifting blocks. Sledgehammer70 says not to use jack stands on ZL1-Addons lift points.

I know there have been numerous threads on this, but there does not seem to be a consensus? So what is the latest?

wilbur_xmas 11-29-2020 06:14 PM

I have lift blocks and use them on my standard jack stands without concern, even when applying 148 ft*lbs via torque wrench to the front caliper bolts. The only downside is that your lift blocks will get marked up.

Even if I didn't use the lift blocks with jackstands I highly recommend installing lift pads to make it less likely that a tire/service shop lifts the car incorrectly (very common) and bends your front quarter panels.

I agree that painted metal (jackstand) on anodized metal (lift block) is not a great interface but I felt that adding rubber pads to the tops of my jack stands actually made it more unstable. Just make sure to carefully center the lift pad on the jack stand. The perfect solution is the ESCO jack stands with the lift blocks, I'll pick up those jack stands at some point in the future.

UnknownJinX 11-29-2020 06:41 PM

I am not understanding what you are trying to say.

The ZL1 Addons Lift Pads are for your lift or jack stands, while the ZL1 Addons Mag Pads are what you use with floor jacks. The Mag Pad is not supposed to be used for the jack stands, but the Lift Pads are.

I just follow this video on how to jack up the car. Pretty comprehensive video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX_Qf9wSwos

mlee 11-29-2020 07:03 PM

Try the ZL1 Add-on MAG pad w/puck. Goes in the center and Jacks both front and rear tire at the same time.

Then like the video already posted, if you still want some jack points on the 4 corners for shops and stuff get the jack pads.

I would not jack on the pinch welds without either Jack Pads or the Mag Puck.

Mister Will 11-29-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 10910744)
I am not understanding what you are trying to say.

The ZL1 Addons Lift Pads are for your lift or jack stands, while the ZL1 Addons Mag Pads are what you use with floor jacks. The Mag Pad is not supposed to be used for the jack stands, but the Lift Pads are.

I just follow this video on how to jack up the car. Pretty comprehensive video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX_Qf9wSwos

In the Video, at around 6:48, he says do not use jack stands with any other product on your pinch welds.

Mister Will 11-29-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10910761)
Try the ZL1 Add-on MAG pad w/puck. Goes in the center and Jacks both front and rear tire at the same time.

Then like the video already posted, if you still want some jack points on the 4 corners for shops and stuff get the jack pads.

I would not jack on the pinch welds without either Jack Pads or the Mag Puck.

Thanks.

I actually have all of those products from ZL1-Addons. I intend to place the jack pads on the far forward pinch welds and on the aft pinch welds. Then use the second forward pinch weld to lift with the Mag pad.

MLee, do you agree with the placement of the jack pads in the video. He says he's done it hundreds of times. I am just looking for some consensus. Generally if something works everyone does it.:thumbup:

grampa_ss 11-29-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Will (Post 10910807)
Thanks.

I actually have all of those products from ZL1-Addons. I intend to place the jack pads on the far forward pinch welds and on the aft pinch welds. Then use the second forward pinch weld to lift with the Mag pad.

I do it the same way. I then place the jacks under the lift pads. My jack stands are the deep “U” style, and the lift pads sit in them nicely.

zaimer 11-30-2020 08:12 AM

I haven't perfected the art yet, as I've only lifted the car a couple of times so far. I'm actually looking to get a new jack this week, so I'll find some excuse to use that haha.

I have to lift pads installed on my car, 4 standard (u-shaped groove) jack stands, low pro jack, and pinch weld adaptors for the jack stands (hefty rubber blocks that basically slip onto the jack stand).

To answer OP's question - I've always (thus far anyway) used the pinch welds for the jack stand placement. I personally don't think that I would use the lift pads because I feel they're not as stable while raising/lowering the car. You don't have the "track" of the pinch weld that keeps the stand in place, even if it is ever so slightly.

Invertalon 11-30-2020 08:44 AM

Honestly, the only good way is buying the lifting pads from Amazon (same as the ZL1 add-on ones for cheaper) and installing in all six positions. So you will need two of the 4-packs.

Once installed, lift with a jack (with a hockey puck or pad) using the 2nd position from the front. Then place jack stands under the very front and rear position jack pads. Then repeat on the opposite side.

I also have jack stand rubber pads that give more 'grip' on the lifting pads as extra insurance they don't slide on the metal-to-metal contact. Jack stand cradle to be perpendicular to the jack pad.

This is the only way I got it to work well. I don't like the magnetic lift pad adapters, I had one tilt/slide out when lifting and gave me a heart attack. Thankfully, no damage. Once I had all the lift pads installed, lifting has been non-issue and far more stable/safe.

clg82 11-30-2020 03:17 PM

subscribed as i will probably be doing this for when i install my exhaust myself

JCunningham 11-30-2020 09:54 PM

https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...ton-floor-jack

lcd550 11-30-2020 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grampa_ss (Post 10910830)
I do it the same way. I then place the jacks under the lift pads. My jack stands are the deep “U” style, and the lift pads sit in them nicely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invertalon (Post 10911033)
...Then place jack stands under the very front and rear position jack pads. Then repeat on the opposite side.

I also have jack stand rubber pads that give more 'grip' on the lifting pads as extra insurance they don't slide on the metal-to-metal contact. Jack stand cradle to be perpendicular to the jack pad...

I was specifically told by ZL1 Addons NOT to put jack stands under the lift pads. It's a safety issue. See e-mail screenshot below. The link is the e-mail is the same video UnknownJinX posted. The video does a good job showing where to place jack stands.

zaimer 12-01-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcd550 (Post 10911545)
I was specifically told by ZL1 Addons NOT to put jack stands under the lift pads. It's a safety issue. See e-mail screenshot below. The link is the e-mail is the same video UnknownJinX posted. The video does a good job showing where to place jack stands.

I agree. As I had said, I wouldn't place the jack stands using the Addons. :twitch:

camaroJD 12-01-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcd550 (Post 10911545)

The problem I have with this is that I don't seen anything official from GM about placing jacks there. I have nothing against LethalGarage (his videos are very good) but I have a hard time trusting this just because one guy/company said so, especially if I am under the car. I've posted about this and never had a definitive answer.

I want to know why ZL1 Addons now specifically says not to use the pads with jack stands. I don't remember that explicit warning until pretty recently. My guess is someone did it wrong and the car slid off. The way my jack stands fit "in" the pads feels as steady as it can be. I also know that the car was designed to have the weight in this area. With that being said, the fact that ZL1 Addons now says this gives me great concern about doing it again.