CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Different sound inquiry (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509918)

Tara Martin 10-05-2017 12:05 PM

Different sound inquiry

I have a 2017 ZL-1 M6 that was built in early April 2017. I now have almost 10k miles (I can't stop driving it!) About a thousand miles ago, I started hearing a "different" sound from the engine bay. For the first 9k miles, I would hear the supercharger whine when I cracked the throttle open, and I came to feel that it was normal as most of you do, I'm sure. Since about 9k miles, I now hear a continuous whine of sorts. It's hard to describe, but it's a cross between an old-style cavitating power steering pump and a cicada singing on a warm summer day. The whine follows engine RPM. At idle, it's not there. With the windows up and the sound system on, it's barely audible. Driving with the driver window down, you can hear the sound echo off of a nearby curb, building, or other structure. When I crack the throttle and engage a little boost, I don't really hear the supercharger as I used to because of this whine. There's no other symptom, and the car runs fine and strong as it ever did.

Does anyone have an idea what it might be? My air cleaner's full of cicadas and they're mad? :iono: Am I just hearing the supercharger all of the time now? I hope it's not bearings or something.

I'll just sit here and :popcorn:

Thanks!

Tara :wub:

PS: I am the victim of both the rattling, loose sway bar endlinks, and the high riding front suspension. I plan on taking it in to get the front springs ordered in the near future. :dizzy:

bobby35ny 10-05-2017 12:51 PM

What exhaust mode are you running?
I noticed a kind of whistle in stealth mode.
-bobby

Tara Martin 10-05-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby35ny (Post 9929954)
What exhaust mode are you running?
I noticed a kind of whistle in stealth mode.
-bobby

I 99% of the time run in Sport mode. It's definitely not a whistle. :whistle:

Tara :love:

kwav8r 10-05-2017 01:45 PM

Is the sound there when you get the SC into the boost side? Thinking it could be a wastegate flutter but I'm spit balling. Anyway you can record the sound and post?

Tara Martin 10-05-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwav8r (Post 9930040)
Is the sound there when you get the SC into the boost side? Thinking it could be a wastegate flutter but I'm spit balling. Anyway you can record the sound and post?

I would say yes. I can't hear the old spool up whine of the SC as clear anymore because of the cicada-like whine. I'll try to record the sound later on, possibly this weekend.

Thanks for any input!

Tara Martin 10-05-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancygrl (Post 9930058)
Tara, I think I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm at 5500 miles. Not sure what it is either. I will be checking a few things tomorrow and let you know if I find out anything.

Thanks!

Dethsupp0rt 10-05-2017 04:29 PM

Curious if it's the SC belt. The 'vettes are having theirs replaced. Description doesn't sound the same, but it's the only thing I can think of.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-afm-1357.html

kwav8r 10-05-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tara Martin (Post 9930151)
I would say yes. I can't hear the old spool up whine of the SC as clear anymore because of the cicada-like whine. I'll try to record the sound later on, possibly this weekend.

Thanks for any input!

Looking forward to it. If you can, try and record different throttle positions (vacuum & boost).

Having said that, Dethsupport may be onto something with the pulley belt.

Gunkk 10-05-2017 08:24 PM

Bad idler pulley bearing?

Tara Martin 10-06-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunkk (Post 9930537)

I hadn't thought of that. I'll dig around under the hood this weekend. I've been so busy this week and last...

Thanks!

Tara Martin 10-06-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt (Post 9930270)
Curious if it's the SC belt. The 'vettes are having theirs replaced. Description doesn't sound the same, but it's the only thing I can think of.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-afm-1357.html

I'll definitely give mine a close inspection this weekend.

Thank you for any and all ideas!

Tara :wub:

17CamaroZL1 10-06-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunkk (Post 9930537)

This was going to be my guess. Belt could also be a good possibility

BMWM.D. 10-06-2017 09:27 AM

I'd agree. Could be a worn belt, but there are a whole bunch of idler pulleys on the supercharger belt route.

I'm still not sure what's up with that service bulletin. It lists 2017 ZL1, but the main issue is related to AFM and noise when switching between modes. So that's a little odd. I just checked the belt on my 2018, and it's the same part number that came on the '17 models. So it doesn't look like a production change was made. What's also funny is that the Gates HD belt in that bulletin is longer than the stock belt. I'm not sure why. Usually that's the opposite of what you want to do to limit belt slip in a blower car.

That said, I decided to order a Gates RPM belt in the stock size. Why not? It should perform better and last longer than the stock belt. I figure having one in the garage isn't a bad idea.

Tara Martin 10-06-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWM.D. (Post 9930931)
I'd agree. Could be a worn belt, but there are a whole bunch of idler pulleys on the supercharger belt route.

I'm still not sure what's up with that service bulletin. It lists 2017 ZL1, but the main issue is related to AFM and noise when switching between modes. So that's a little odd. I just checked the belt on my 2018, and it's the same part number that came on the '17 models. So it doesn't look like a production change was made. What's also funny is that the Gates HD belt in that bulletin is longer than the stock belt. I'm not sure why. Usually that's the opposite of what you want to do to limit belt slip in a blower car.

That said, I decided to order a Gates RPM belt in the stock size. Why not? It should perform better and last longer than the stock belt. I figure having one in the garage isn't a bad idea.

Good idea! :thumb: