Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Need help with trunk rattle!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128784)

J Webb 02-11-2011 10:19 AM

Need help with trunk rattle!!!

A W6 12 sounds great untill 2 days later the front of the trunk started rattling even at low volumes. Looks like between the weatherstripping and the back glass. Anyone fix this yet and how?

Swytch 02-11-2011 11:15 AM

I had a similar issue last year and the consensus here was that i needed to properly dyna-mat the trunk and under side of the trunk lid. I don't have my car right now, and did not get a chance to do it before it went into storage for the winter so i cant say for sure if it will work for me, but it did for others. Do a search on trunk rattle and i think you will find a few threads about it. One person suggested putting some of that weatherstripping foam with the adhesive on one side on the back lip of the trunk which fixed his issue.

Let us know if you find a fix that works.

Topdown 02-11-2011 05:01 PM

fatmat rattle trap - 80mil thick, butyl adhesive, aluminum backing. you can probably use just 1 sheet for your lid, 33.00

second skin makes a good deadener too

J Webb 02-11-2011 05:09 PM

Thanks

Thank you guys for your input. I will post the fix when completed.

gorgeous-ss 02-12-2011 11:12 AM

everyone spends so much money going out and buying this type of sound deadening. While some of it is alot better, the one that topdown shows you can get from any hardware store. The stuff i use is called peel and seal. Its in the roofing section at the home depot by my house. But there are alot of different brands.

JSC81 02-12-2011 08:09 PM

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some door/window weather strip. Line the trunk where it lays on the window.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...44#post1506844

Topdown 02-13-2011 03:33 PM

guys - no one wants to hear it, but peel and seal is NOT the same.

you dont have to take my word for it, god knows I havent always taken the word of those in the know... but over the last 20 years, I have used pretty much every kind of peel-n-seal, snow roof, henry's, rhino-liner, etc...

Its not my car your trying to work on... its yours. but, being that I HAVE used every kind of cheaper sound deadening option I could find and instead go back to the stuff like Rattle Trap should say something.

you can spend 20.00 on 6 or 7 layers of peel-n-seal and hope that it all sticks and doesnt melt, or you can spend 35.00 on a butyl based vibration solution and not have to worry about it at all.

I spent 35k on my car, spending 35.00 more on a real deadener instead of roofing material didnt seem like its enough to break the bank.

Now... having said all that... I do recommend that if guys are looking to save a little cash, you can use 3-4 layers of Peel-n-seal on the floor of the trunk or the floor of the cab (though your still running the risk of stink), but at least there it wont run, drip, or release from the panel and fall.

JSC81 02-13-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topdown (Post 2836347)
guys - no one wants to hear it, but peel and seal is NOT the same.

you dont have to take my word for it, god knows I havent always taken the word of those in the know... but over the last 20 years, I have used pretty much every kind of peel-n-seal, snow roof, henry's, rhino-liner, etc...

Its not my car your trying to work on... its yours. but, being that I HAVE used every kind of cheaper sound deadening option I could find and instead go back to the stuff like Rattle Trap should say something.

you can spend 20.00 on 6 or 7 layers of peel-n-seal and hope that it all sticks and doesnt melt, or you can spend 35.00 on a butyl based vibration solution and not have to worry about it at all.

I spent 35k on my car, spending 35.00 more on a real deadener instead of roofing material didnt seem like its enough to break the bank.

Now... having said all that... I do recommend that if guys are looking to save a little cash, you can use 3-4 layers of Peel-n-seal on the floor of the trunk or the floor of the cab (though your still running the risk of stink), but at least there it wont run, drip, or release from the panel and fall.

My entire trunk has Dynamat from lid to everywhere else I could stick it I used 20 sheets of it to be exact. The LID WILL STILL VIBRATE ON THE WINDOW... lol

Topdown 02-13-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSC81 (Post 2836892)
My entire trunk has Dynamat from lid to everywhere else I could stick it I used 20 sheets of it to be exact. The LID WILL STILL VIBRATE ON THE WINDOW... lol

LoL - parcel shelf, not trunk lid... its all in what you read when you read a post.

I still cant believe how much that rear shelf moved in your video.

JSC81 02-13-2011 07:01 PM

It sucks and now, over time random stuff inside the cabin will vibrate including the rearview mirror. With one 10 W7. :(

Red Jewel SS 02-17-2011 12:42 AM

I had the same problem! I installed fatmat on every surface of the trunk, but where the trunk and window met still rattled. So, like JSC81 mentioned, I used weather strip, and ran it along that seal, and bada-bing-bada-boom, problem solved!:happyanim: