CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=253)
-   -   MGW shifter (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432591)

neal_zack 12-11-2015 09:05 AM

MGW shifter

I just confirmed that MGW will be making there shifters for the camaro look for them in early spring!

SS 1LE 12-11-2015 09:13 AM

Awesome news, they are IMO the best out there.

Funny thing is a have read that the stock shifter is pretty good...but I need to see for myself, and the gap from pretty good to MGW can be huge. :D

neal_zack 12-11-2015 09:15 AM

it looks like a really nice shifter.

LSxWittles 12-12-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS (Post 8782318)

Funny thing is a have read that the stock shifter is pretty good...but I need to see for myself, and the gap from pretty good to MGW can be huge. :D

Agreed. And coming in early spring, this might be my first mod.

Tr6 12-12-2015 03:34 PM

I don't see myself bothering with any other shifter than stock but glad to see there will be options! Stock shifter is actually pretty damn perfect. And my first mod on ALL manuals is a short throw with bushings and me not touching this one shows how amazing stock actually is.

Merc 01-14-2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS (Post 8782318)

Can't go wrong with MGW.

:thumb:

Jeanius 01-15-2016 12:28 AM

MGW with the race knob FTW

sschons74 01-21-2016 05:44 AM

I put a Hurst on my 2014 V6 and the shift throw was improved, but I just looked at the MGW install video for the Gen 5, and wow it looks like way better engineering. The Hurst you had to buy an optional bearing kit because he ones that came with the kit were already out of shape plastic crap. I am looking forward to getting an MGW this time, seems like much better quality, and throw looks short and precise. I still don't like the throw on my 2016 1SS, it's still too long and not very precise, not as bad as the Gen 5, but could be better.

6spdhyperblue 01-21-2016 06:44 AM

Ran a mgw in my coyote and it was flawless in a crappy trans. Excited to see how the stock shifter is in the SS. I look for a quality throw not so much the shortest throw. So I might not need to change it out

SS 1LE 01-21-2016 08:51 AM

I wonder how MGW is coming with this...

neal_zack 01-21-2016 09:53 AM

Ill give them a call today.

SS 1LE 01-21-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neal_zack (Post 8855161)
Ill give them a call today.

Cool...ask if they have a price range yet. :thumb:

Standard 04-03-2016 05:21 PM

Look, I haven't (yet) driven a Gen6 but there's a common theme with stock shifters - they're long throw and made of 2 pieces with a noodly rubber insulator between them that kills all positive feel. You move the top of the stick, then the gearbox kind of plays catchup and you sort of wait for it.

And with the MGM heavy lateral springs it's inconceivable to drive without one. It's really the bulk of the joy of driving a Gen5 M6. Positive thunk-thunk on shifts, and 2-3 isn't up-left, it's straight up (the spring takes the lateral). Double-clutch/revmatch shifting from 5-3 (which with the MGW is down-up, not down-left-up, you'll understand when you get one) is high on my list of most pleasurable things in life, period.

Standard 04-03-2016 07:07 PM

I just want to double down on the sentiments in my prior email. You picked the M6, maybe you gave up some performance to do so, for the fun of the direct and intimate mechanical connection with your machine.

Performance/speed/handling involves tradeoffs in cost and longevity, and you make them. But on the experience of the most important part of the driver-machine connection, accept no compromise. You'll notice the extra 5hp from some cold air intake. . . probably never. You'll notice a good stick every few seconds while driving.

Figure out what the best is, the very best, and accept nothing else. In my experience, I had a late Gen4 with a good short-throw, and when I got my Gen5 I couldn't stand to drive the stock noodle-shifter (left it parked). Got the MGW installed and the Gen4 was finally retired for the Gen5 (side note - Gen5+ does give up something of feel due to not having shifter bolted direct to the gearbox but I digress. . . and no mods can change that).

If there's something better now than the MGW, get that instead. But don't settle for anything 1% less. . . .