CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   ZL1 stone/splash guards (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527074)

Noreplacement 04-24-2018 04:57 PM

ZL1 stone/splash guards

Has anyone had GM body coloured splash guards installed on a Gen 6 ZL1?
Debating whether fitment is an issue (besides cost) vs ZL1 Addons guards. Seems that Addons are satisfactory but I would prefer body colour and true fitment.
Thoughts?

Intimidator 04-24-2018 05:03 PM

No one makes them for the ZL1...I had a set of factory ones on my 16 SS. So far the ZL1addons have worked out well.
Still, I would buy factory look ones in a heartbeat!

arpad_m 04-24-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intimidator (Post 10160974)
No one makes them for the ZL1...I had a set of factory ones on my 16 SS. So far the ZL1addons have worked out well.
Still, I would buy factory look ones in a heartbeat!

I had the GM splash guards on my 2LT, but although they look good, IMO the front ones extend nowhere enough to fully protect the door and the quarter panel with those wide tires of yours.

Went with the RPI premium splash guards for the 2SS and these also seem to be on the smallish side, but so far they have done a pretty good job, and look good, too.

JamesNoBrakes 04-24-2018 10:56 PM

I like the ZL-1 add-ons.

Noreplacement 04-25-2018 06:33 AM

Thanks for the input. ��

cfabrizio 04-25-2018 07:04 AM

I just installed the front ZL1 add ons for the front and, so far, they seem to be a decent design and fit.

I am a little pissed about the rear set from ZL. I spent a bit of time installing the rears and no matter what I did or adjusted, they did sit flush all the way around the fender well. The problem is where the rear diffuser meets the bottom of the fender. I am particular about fit and looks and the rears drove me nuts. On top of it, the hardware they sent me for the install was all bright stainless Philips screws instead of the black stock torx. The stainless jumped out at me when installed and the entire rear set up looked like it was forced cheap.

Krowser 04-25-2018 07:17 AM

My positive experience with the ZL1-addons rock guards is:

1. they are sturdy and extend enough to protect the paint

My negative experience with the ZL1-addons rock guards are:

1. the hole where the wheel liner pin goes into is not recessed
2. you may have to order new wheel liner pins because mine were too short
3. the 3M tape will show behind the rock guard due to it coming apart and the spacing

Once you get the pins, the product performs as advertised; however, the fit and finish is unsatisfactory.

Oh well...better bad looks than f'd up paint from rock chips!! :thumb:

Fraxum 04-25-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krowser (Post 10161645)
My positive experience with the ZL1-addons rock guards is:

1. they are sturdy and extend enough to protect the paint

My negative experience with the ZL1-addons rock guards are:

1. the hole where the wheel liner pin goes into is not recessed
2. you may have to order new wheel liner pins because mine were too short
3. the 3M tape will show behind the rock guard due to it coming apart and the spacing

Once you get the pins, the product performs as advertised; however, the fit and finish is unsatisfactory.

Oh well...better bad looks than f'd up paint from rock chips!! :thumb:

+1 And I would add that the SS rears are not a good fit on the Z. I have the black putty, but have avoided using it so far. And they are pricey for some fairly simple pieces of plastic. And maybe I got the wrong spacers in the back but one was too short on both sides.

Do yourself a favor and take the rear tires off to install.

But they do keep the burnt rubber off the pretty fender and they guys at Atco notice and like them. Me too.

SJFGTO 04-25-2018 08:48 AM

I colored the exposed tape with a black sharpie. Blends right in. Not perfect in the back but I am the only one who sees that.

ZL1 1LE 04-25-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfabrizio (Post 10161637)
I just installed the front ZL1 add ons for the front and, so far, they seem to be a decent design and fit.

I am a little pissed about the rear set from ZL. I spent a bit of time installing the rears and no matter what I did or adjusted, they did sit flush all the way around the fender well. The problem is where the rear diffuser meets the bottom of the fender. I am particular about fit and looks and the rears drove me nuts. On top of it, the hardware they sent me for the install was all bright stainless Philips screws instead of the black stock torx. The stainless jumped out at me when installed and the entire rear set up looked like it was forced cheap.

I had the same issue with their front tow hook. I had to go to the hardware store to get a black bolt.

Buzzmanb12 04-25-2018 11:43 AM

Any pics?

Walkure 04-25-2018 11:54 AM

I installed the ZL1 Addons front and rear. Overall I'm satisfied.
I have the same beefs as everyone else:

1) Screws for the rear are not black. Hard to see when the wheel is installed, but still no reason for these to be anything but black.
2) Mounting tape for the front is partially exposed/visible. Take a black sharpie to it before install and that pretty much solves the problem.
3) Factory wheel liner pin for the front wheel well does not work with the rock guards installed. Longer pin is mandatory.
4) Fitment of the rear is not perfect around the diffuser. But I knew that before I installed.

All the above are minor issues to me. If I had to do it again, I would still get these.

Buzzmanb12 04-25-2018 11:58 AM

Can they be trimmed/modified to fit better?

Walkure 04-25-2018 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The first picture shows the gap. It's because the diffuser sticks out a little and the rock guards were designed for a Camaro without the diffuser.

The second picture shows the mounting screws. They should be black, but to be honest, it's hard to see unless you get down on your knees and look for it.