CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Great Lakes (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Proposed Michigan Gas Tax (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549546)

avalonandl 03-09-2019 10:27 AM

Proposed Michigan Gas Tax

I will try to keep this NON political and strictly informative. There is a new proposal to raise Michigan's gasoline tax $ 0.45 a GALLON on top of the current $ 0.26 a gallon. This would make Michigan's State Gas Tax the HIGHEST in the nation.

Please contact your state senator and representative to let them know your opinions on this proposal.

HyperBlueX2 03-09-2019 10:35 AM

This is on top of the previous gas tax hikes to fix the roads and the 20% increase in vehicle registrations fees a few years back to fix the roads....

Quoted from the Detroit News in late 2016

"The cost of driving a vehicle is about to get a little more expensive in Michigan as gas taxes and vehicle registration fees will increase across the state.

The state gas tax is increasing by 7.3 cents per gallon beginning Sunday, New Year's Day. Also new for 2017, motorists will notice registration fees will jump by 20 percent for all cars and trucks.

The increases are the first in decades in Michigan's fuel taxes and vehicle registration fees in an attempt to address deteriorating highways, roads and bridges across the state."

Yet most all the roads are still terrible. Where did all this money go?

HCI2000SS 03-09-2019 10:36 AM

Yep I just heard about this yesterday. Makes me sick

avalonandl 03-10-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10456155)
Yep I just heard about this yesterday. Makes me sick

Let your state senator and representative know. When they get a sh_t ton of emails they will have to bend.

zts1986 03-12-2019 11:13 AM

I like it, but then again, I'm in the infrastructure industry :fear:

bturner2 03-13-2019 10:22 AM

Sorry but this is political. Vote Gov Jen II in and get the same BS as the last time. People have such short memories. And let me make another prediction..... The money collected will go into a bucket that will fund schools (actually teacher raises and retirement), welfare, child services, walking paths, biking lanes, save the whales and any other thing they decide to rob the fund for. This just keeps happening over and over again. You give them money for one thing and it's siphoned off for something entirely different.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't like either of our choices this last go around but anyone who says they didn't see this coming has to be an idiot. Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming.

cheeze9878 03-14-2019 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bturner2 (Post 10459517)
Sorry but this is political. Vote Gov Jen II in and get the same BS as the last time. People have such short memories. And let me make another prediction..... The money collected will go into a bucket that will fund schools (actually teacher raises and retirement), welfare, child services, walking paths, biking lanes, save the whales and any other thing they decide to rob the fund for. This just keeps happening over and over again. You give them money for one thing and it's siphoned off for something entirely different.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't like either of our choices this last go around but anyone who says they didn't see this coming has to be an idiot. Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming.

Agreed

KCelsius 03-14-2019 06:41 AM

And let me guess, once they collect the money, the roads will still be trash.

If this happens, I'll probably be looking for a job outside of MI. Insurance it pretty ridiculous here and roads aren't good enough to compensate for the cost to drive. Hope they can get this right...

Val Walkinshaw 05-01-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCelsius (Post 10460443)
And let me guess, once they collect the money, the roads will still be trash.

If this happens, I'll probably be looking for a job outside of MI. Insurance it pretty ridiculous here and roads aren't good enough to compensate for the cost to drive. Hope they can get this right...

I feel you. I have OH friends and I'm tempted to "move" in with them. My address will then be OH and I can pay cheaper rates. I already do all my shopping in OH and am looking at a job there. MI is a beautiful place to live....I mean visit.