CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   Issues with new K&N typhoon (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558558)

Sk8Lakai8 07-17-2019 11:02 PM

Issues with new K&N typhoon

So this might be a dumb question. first time posting and just in need of some general feedback. just installed a new CAI for my v6. first day everything was fine till after about 20 miles then CEL came on. At first I wasn't sure what it was. until later I found out with the autocal tool I got from overkill that I could check the codes. saw P0171 and P0174. Worked on my car earlier and disconnected the battery. Negative only. I took off the whole intake to make sure everything was placed correctly and fitted properly. looked for any air leaks but nothing.. reconnected battery and CEL was clear. took it for a test drive and again within 25-30 miles CEL came back on. At this point maybe its obvious I need a retune for the K&N typhoon. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem. :emoticon1:

BOYD3800SII 07-18-2019 06:46 AM

Just a thought... get yourself some mass airflow sensor cleaner and clean the entire throttle body, sensor, and upper intake manifold. See if the codes come back on after the reset then.

cellsafemode 07-18-2019 10:16 AM

if it's lean bank #2 ... this is a common code thrown from allowing air to leak into the intake after the maf or from more air passing the maf than it's calibrated for.

Common issue with intake bridges that do away with the air straighteners (assuming they stuck to stock diameter).

Leaky catch cans can also cause this.

But you may just be SoL ...some cars are just very finicky about maf calibration and dont do well with after market intakes that modify the bridge. You'll need either a tune or revert to drop-in filters only to avoid having that code appear periodically.

SoulCyphyr71 07-18-2019 03:40 PM

Just an FYI, but I had installed the K&N Typhoon on my 2018 RS a couple months ago and after 1k miles no issues. I did however replace the exhaust with the Borla ATAK quad-tips at the same time, so this might be keeping myself CEL-free with no tune. Just a thought if you are deciding to replace the exhaust as well.

Spudsmaro 07-22-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8Lakai8 (Post 10574078)
So this might be a dumb question. first time posting and just in need of some general feedback. just installed a new CAI for my v6. first day everything was fine till after about 20 miles then CEL came on. At first I wasn't sure what it was. until later I found out with the autocal tool I got from overkill that I could check the codes. saw P0171 and P0174. Worked on my car earlier and disconnected the battery. Negative only. I took off the whole intake to make sure everything was placed correctly and fitted properly. looked for any air leaks but nothing.. reconnected battery and CEL was clear. took it for a test drive and again within 25-30 miles CEL came back on. At this point maybe its obvious I need a retune for the K&N typhoon. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem. :emoticon1:

I have the same exact cai it hasn't given me any codes or lights and I've had it for about 13k miles now. I did also buy a jet performance maff sensor to go along with the cai. Idk if that actually works or help but it didn't give me any errors the performance is great and the sound is awesome too.