CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Mechanical overrev (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564336)

Jonnydz 10-28-2019 02:20 PM

Mechanical overrev

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys had a track day a few days ago and hit 2nd instead of 4th. I know stupid. Anyways it was caught on my pdr. I backed off as soon as I realized it which was really quick. It was my last session and the final lap of course. Drove it 2 hrs back home and didn't notice anything. Think I'm ok?

eimarshall 10-28-2019 02:30 PM

90 in second gear should be about 7400rpm based on quick math and stock tire diameter. That doesn't sound too bad to me.

If it doesn't seem down on power and isn't making any scary noises, you're probably ok. Maybe change the oil and check the filter for any bits.

CrazyCatGuy 10-28-2019 02:41 PM

If you caught it right away I'd venture to say you're fine. I've done it a few times over the years and caught them right away; not once did I have any engine issues for any of those cars.

No ticking/tapping coming from the engine afterwards right?

Jaxcam02 10-28-2019 03:26 PM

Id bet that your fine. I've done it a few times in my going on 18 year old LS1 and its never had a problem.

Tim M 10-28-2019 03:27 PM

Most believe over-rev damage is incremental. Likely valve springs are most impacted - lose pressure once exceed their design limits.

Obviously, if it didn't scatter - no issue, but don't think anyone can guarantee long term health...then again, a production engine is pretty robust - few LT1's seem to be have been lost.

NeverDie 10-28-2019 03:45 PM

If it's burning a lot of oil in the next 1000 miles or so you'll probably be rebuilding the head.

Not every issue makes itself evident immediately.

RUQWIKR 10-28-2019 05:48 PM

Remember, you can do the same by downshifting to the correct gear but letting the clutch out too early. Active rev match won't save you on that either. I see it all the time in PDR videos. As mentioned, you may not drop a valve right away, but, you're poking the hornet's nest a little at a time.

Tango1LE 10-28-2019 06:12 PM

Jonny, I wouldn't worry too much... Red line is 6500RPM and it looks like you went just 500 above for a bit.. As others said, it did not grenade itself right then and there.. get an oil change and it should be good for 17 Nov Sebring!

TrackClub 10-28-2019 06:27 PM

Id swap out the springs, as a proactive measure.

Jonnydz 10-28-2019 07:24 PM

Thanks for all the info. Engine is running fine with no lose of power, smoke, or ticking. I am going to change the oil this weekend. Tango I am a no go for the 17th. Going out to auto club speedway (cally) for a hpde in a c7 grandsport. Cant wait to compare to our car. Hopefully Jan we can meet up again

Gunkk 10-28-2019 08:03 PM

Send a sample to blackstone and tell them you money shifted it. If there is metal in the oil, they’ll tell you.

Stephen12ZL1 10-28-2019 09:23 PM

Keep driving it, you are fine. I wouldn't worry about it for second unless you have heard something different.

TrackClub 10-29-2019 12:04 AM

Just some food for thought: you could be fine, or some parts, springs especially, could have gotten fatigued.
Nobody can tell you one way or another, not even if they are a Grand Master Mechanic, or a BB poster :)
The fact you dont hear anything is a sign nothing broke immediately, but not that something wont break next time you reach red line, if it has weakened. Metal fatigue is not a binary type of proposition a la: it works today so it will work just fine tomorrow. I know semi pro circle track guys who change springs for every race, as a cheap insurance. Usually, 4th to 2nd will grenade a motor in an instant, but perhaps your shift was a lazy one, allowing rpms to drop quite a bit. Regardless,
I wouldn't say you're risk free longer term. My 2 cents.
Then again, you are covered by GM power train warranty, so there is that :) Cheers!

SJFGTO 10-29-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunkk (Post 10649643)
Send a sample to blackstone and tell them you money shifted it. If there is metal in the oil, they’ll tell you.

^^^This. Easy to do. Peace of mind is worth the minimal effort.