CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Maggie 2650 Build - Final Thoughts (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591862)

Grumpy1 04-30-2021 10:39 AM

Maggie 2650 Build - Final Thoughts

As of now (although things can change - Lol) I think I'm going to do this build in two phases, maybe.
Phase 1) complete bolt on, fuel 2) heads and cam, fuel, cooling -heat exchangers.
In the first phase I'm hoping for 700-750rwhp, if I feel I need more then I'll go to phase 2. To get to that # in phase 1 I know fuel needs to be addressed which I don't mind. Rather be safe than sorry and figure whatever I do will help for phase 2.

Decided to see if that 700plus range is good enough for the street. Want to have fun but not where the car is unusable. As I've said in other posts this is a street car, will not see time on a road course but maybe the occasional trip to the drag strip. If I break the time where I need to invest in a roll gage then that's out too.

Here's my list for phase 1 so far.
Maggie 2650
80 or 90mm pulley
9.2" drive pulley
Gates Green belt
103 Nick Williams T/B and snout
Kooks 2" LT w/high flow green cats, x-pipe to the stock suitcase.
Rotofab Big Gulp
160 deg thermostat
Fuel??

Fuel is the only place I'm undecide on but willing to do what I need.
Low side - JMS booster - anything else...…aux fuel pump?
High side - what are my limits with stock cam?
Can add an XDI pump but what about injectors. Do oem injectors have room for the added fuel or do I need the +30. Hate to invest in +30 if in phase two I decide on +65.

Appreciate everyone input...….

Camaro1973 04-30-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy1 (Post 11002248)
As of now (although things can change - Lol) I think I'm going to do this build in two phases, maybe.
Phase 1) complete bolt on, fuel 2) heads and cam, fuel, cooling -heat exchangers.
In the first phase I'm hoping for 700-750rwhp, if I feel I need more then I'll go to phase 2. To get to that # in phase 1 I know fuel needs to be addressed which I don't mind. Rather be safe than sorry and figure whatever I do will help for phase 2.

Decided to see if that 700plus range is good enough for the street. Want to have fun but not where the car is unusable. As I've said in other posts this is a street car, will not see time on a road course but maybe the occasional trip to the drag strip. If I break the time where I need to invest in a roll gage then that's out too.

Here's my list for phase 1 so far.
Maggie 2650
80 or 90mm pulley
9.2" drive pulley
Gates Green belt
103 Nick Williams T/B and snout
Kooks 2" LT w/high flow green cats, x-pipe to the stock suitcase.
Rotofab Big Gulp
160 deg thermostat
Fuel??

Fuel is the only place I'm undecide on but willing to do what I need.
Low side - JMS booster - anything else...…aux fuel pump?
High side - what are my limits with stock cam?
Can add an XDI pump but what about injectors. Do oem injectors have room for the added fuel or do I need the +30. Hate to invest in +30 if in phase two I decide on +65.

Appreciate everyone input...….

Your high side is going to run out before low side. An 80mm with a 9.2 lower will put you at 18psi or more. Not even doable.

700 would be absolute max on high side/stock cam unless your pumping in meth and 700 is pushing it. 680 is more typical.

Mods your showing for phase 1 would be maybe 680rwhp with a 90mm pulley, then your out of fuel.

You don’t need to worry about the low side until you add a cam.

radz28 04-30-2021 12:02 PM

My set-up is nearly exact to another Member who's 700-plus RWHP, and my low-side is starting to drop, even though my high-side is yet to drop much if any. I haven't been able to get to the track yet, and my runs don't get much past about 4th gear, so perhaps I'll see the high-side start falling a little more by the end of the track. Runs that short don't tax the fuel system too much at this power, but what remains to be seen is what happens making a full pass. I'll be logging when I do make it out there, so I'll be watching, and can make a better decision based off data I collect.

I've seen Members here and on HPT say conflicting things. Some say as long as the high-side doesn't fall much, the low-side doesn't matter too much, to a point. It seems the consensus, though, is after about 700, you have to get into the fuel system. There's some tuning you can do that might help a bit (with the stock fuel system) at that level, but you're really at the end. I'd plan on a low-side when doing the cam, just so you're not back in the shop right after getting the H/C treatment.

Some of this will depend on your usage, too. Since you're not going to road course it, you might be able to get away with a booster for a little bit (at your Phase I), but while many have had good luck, I'm not sure how much faith I'd leave in it much past 700. That's a lotta' money on the line to trust a booster. If you're on the street or strip, your runs will be relatively short, so maybe a booster will be "okay", but I'd be careful. That's just me though...

I'll say on OEM tires that this power is not unmanageable, but I'm not making much use of what I have. I can't go WOT until I'm just before the 2-3-shift. It's still spinning after that, but I usually have enough momentum. It's been too cool (until this week) to really run the DRs, but I'll soon see how traction is with them on.

JMHO.

Markoz28 05-01-2021 09:44 AM

Phase 1 I’m guessing you’ll be about 690whp maybe up to 710 with a happy dyno. If you go with a cam, 800whp is easy to come by.

Grumpy1 05-05-2021 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 11002302)
My set-up is nearly exact to another Member who's 700-plus RWHP, and my low-side is starting to drop, even though my high-side is yet to drop much if any. I haven't been able to get to the track yet, and my runs don't get much past about 4th gear, so perhaps I'll see the high-side start falling a little more by the end of the track. Runs that short don't tax the fuel system too much at this power, but what remains to be seen is what happens making a full pass. I'll be logging when I do make it out there, so I'll be watching, and can make a better decision based off data I collect.

I've seen Members here and on HPT say conflicting things. Some say as long as the high-side doesn't fall much, the low-side doesn't matter too much, to a point. It seems the consensus, though, is after about 700, you have to get into the fuel system. There's some tuning you can do that might help a bit (with the stock fuel system) at that level, but you're really at the end. I'd plan on a low-side when doing the cam, just so you're not back in the shop right after getting the H/C treatment.

Some of this will depend on your usage, too. Since you're not going to road course it, you might be able to get away with a booster for a little bit (at your Phase I), but while many have had good luck, I'm not sure how much faith I'd leave in it much past 700. That's a lotta' money on the line to trust a booster. If you're on the street or strip, your runs will be relatively short, so maybe a booster will be "okay", but I'd be careful. That's just me though...

I'll say on OEM tires that this power is not unmanageable, but I'm not making much use of what I have. I can't go WOT until I'm just before the 2-3-shift. It's still spinning after that, but I usually have enough momentum. It's been too cool (until this week) to really run the DRs, but I'll soon see how traction is with them on.

JMHO.

Is there anything that can be done to the fuel system or is the cam the limiting factor?

Camaro1973 05-05-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy1 (Post 11005503)
Is there anything that can be done to the fuel system or is the cam the limiting factor?

You'll need a cam to overdrive the HPFP. Skip the low side booster, its a complete waste of money. Your not going to need a low side upgrade on your build until your well past where you will be HP wise.

Once/If you put a cam in,then you can upgrade your low side with an AUX setup.

On my build, i was able to hit 800rwhp SAE without touching the low side.

Corey7519 05-06-2021 02:18 PM

If you are putting that much $$$ into it why wouldn't you do a a low side aux pump should be the question. IMO skip the voltage booster - those seem to be used more for the e-85 upgrade. But ... I guess if you drive around at under 5000 rpm all the time you'll be ok. What does your builder say? That will determine what pully you can use safely. But I would rather future build on the side of caution - yes to aux fuel pump - then also you are ready to go with phase 2 also

Sickspeedkuwait 05-06-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro1973 (Post 11002269)
Your high side is going to run out before low side. An 80mm with a 9.2 lower will put you at 18psi or more. Not even doable.

700 would be absolute max on high side/stock cam unless your pumping in meth and 700 is pushing it. 680 is more typical.

Mods your showing for phase 1 would be maybe 680rwhp with a 90mm pulley, then your out of fuel.

You don’t need to worry about the low side until you add a cam.

Did you notice any drop in MAT temps cruising in comparison to the stock blower? Also, any change in temps when WOT?

Thanks!

Camaro1973 05-06-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sickspeedkuwait (Post 11005931)
Did you notice any drop in MAT temps cruising in comparison to the stock blower? Also, any change in temps when WOT?

Thanks!

Yea of course, big time. Temp actually goes down when you get into boost and not up :). There really is no comparision cooling wise to the stock blower.

Sickspeedkuwait 05-06-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro1973 (Post 11005957)
Yea of course, big time. Temp actually goes down when you get into boost and not up :). There really is no comparision cooling wise to the stock blower.

Thanks man I appreciate it !

JasonGofast 05-09-2021 03:51 PM

I just want to chime in.

With my Maggie 2650 build my fuel limit capped me at 705 whp/631 tq.

2" headers
5" intake
103 tb
x pipe
dsx low side

This is about 12 psi boost. Will be getting H/C next and hope for 800+ on stock 90mm pulley.

Z OH 6 05-09-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonGofast (Post 11007442)
I just want to chime in.

2" headers
5" intake
103 tb
x pipe
dsx low side

This is about 12 psi boost. Will be getting H/C next and hope for 800+ on stock 90mm pulley.

Not much you can do without more fuel. 700whp is about the limit for any setup not using meth before fuel is an issue.

Camaro1973 05-09-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonGofast (Post 11007442)
I just want to chime in.

2" headers
5" intake
103 tb
x pipe
dsx low side

If your on the stock 90mm pulley now, your not making 12psi of boost more like 16. Also your tq numbers seem off. Just a Maggie swap, headers, intake, tb, etc the hp/tq numbers should be fairly close.

Have a dyno print ?

JasonGofast 05-09-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro1973 (Post 11007513)
If your on the stock 90mm pulley now, your not making 12psi of boost more like 16. Also your tq numbers seem off. Just a Maggie swap, headers, intake, tb, etc the hp/tq numbers should be fairly close.

Have a dyno print ?

Baseline
https://imgur.com/dCZexkF
https://imgur.com/dCZexkF

After above mods

https://imgur.com/EJ6Dwt1
https://imgur.com/EJ6Dwt1

I will mention this is actually on a C7Z...