CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   GM CEO orders 15% diet for new models by 2016 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282474)

KMPrenger 03-27-2013 06:43 PM

I still maintain the base Camaro...or whichever one has the Turbo 4 will weigh in at the 3,3xx range or a tad less.

As for the Z/28, whats really mind blowing is that I guarantee, with all the same extreme weight and performance measures taken on the Alpha chasis, the car would only weigh around the same weight of the base Camaro....so in the 3,300 to 3,400lb range.

Imagine the LS7 in THAT Camaro. Suddenly you have a Camaro performing near the same heights as the mighty Z06.

GretchenGotGrowl 03-27-2013 06:56 PM

I still think this is the swan song for the LS7. Glad that it is in the 5th Gen Z/28, but new CAFE standards are taking affect about the time the 6th Gen comes out. If I were an exec at GM I would not want to use my banked credits to support this platform into 2016 and beyond. I think we will probably see something just as awesome in the future. The Z06 has been around for a while, and they will probably (at least I hope) build a special powerplant for that badge in the C7. Eventually we may see a similar engine in a 6th Gen Z/28. I'm sure it will be just as awesome as the LS7. After all, GM seems to be out to make us performance enthusist happy. The LT1 sounds sweet and the Caddy's are getting a new VSport line with the LF3. I'm loving everything that's going on.

90503 03-27-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6345211)
I still think this is the swan song for the LS7. Glad that it is in the 5th Gen Z/28, but new CAFE standards are taking affect about the time the 6th Gen comes out. If I were an exec at GM I would not want to use my banked credits to support this platform into 2016 and beyond. I think we will probably see something just as awesome in the future. The Z06 has been around for a while, and they will probably (at least I hope) build a special powerplant for that badge in the C7. Eventually we may see a similar engine in a 6th Gen Z/28. I'm sure it will be just as awesome as the LS7. After all, GM seems to be out to make us performance enthusist happy. The LT1 sounds sweet and the Caddy's are getting a new VSport line with the LF3. I'm loving everything that's going on.

....Then again, if the I-4, TT-V6 and the AFM LT-1 will be out in the 6thGen...that may give some extra life to the LS7 as far as CAFE...dunno how all that works....Seems like only two years worth of the LS7 in a Z/28 would be sort of awkward...

GretchenGotGrowl 03-28-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6345348)
....Then again, if the I-4, TT-V6 and the AFM LT-1 will be out in the 6thGen...that may give some extra life to the LS7 as far as CAFE...dunno how all that works....Seems like only two years worth of the LS7 in a Z/28 would be sort of awkward...

It just might. I can't help but think that maintaining a line of engines that are hand built in a special plant will look pretty bad to the bean counters. It will all depend on who wins the arguement at GM.

fielderLS3 03-28-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6347659)
It just might. I can't help but think that maintaining a line of engines that are hand built in a special plant will look pretty bad to the bean counters. It will all depend on who wins the arguement at GM.

I think the LS7 is going into the Camaro partly because GM needs somewhere to put their production capacity of it for the last year or two now that C6 Corvette production, and with it the ZO6, has ended. Ultimately, the LS7 is going to go the way of the LS3. The new LT engine family will quickly replace all the LSs, so the LS7 will not be in the 6th gen Camaro. Give the next Vette a year or two, and there will probably be a higher performance version of the LTs coming for the next ZO6, or at least the ZO6 replacement if they change it to something else. Whether or not that engine will end up in the 6th gen Camaro as a low volume, special version is anyone's guess.

TRGunner 03-28-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 6279467)
This frightens me to the point the hairs stood up on my neck. I see a lot of blather about needing to comply with CAFE and the other car companies are also feeling pressure to do the same.

Remember when the car company CEOs would go to washington and FIGHT against these onerous regulations?

Those were the days.

We STILL need to fight for our sanity against ridiculous regulations. America's businesses need to stay globally competetive.
We all need to get along and respect everyones opinions.
I still encourage us all to speak up America to our representatives for all matters including this one.:mad2:

KMPrenger 03-28-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6345211)
I still think this is the swan song for the LS7. ...

Oh I completely agree with that. Couple years in the Camaro and that will be it.

I was just thinking what it would be like to have it in a 3,300 lbl Camaro on the Alpha chassis. :D

GretchenGotGrowl 03-28-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6349243)
Oh I completely agree with that. Couple years in the Camaro and that will be it.

I was just thinking what it would be like to have it in a 3,300 lbl Camaro on the Alpha chassis. :D

FUN!

carlos@redline-motorsport 03-28-2013 02:28 PM

Stuffing a live axle in the back would cut weight and improve 1/4 mile performance.

Tampa Tuning 03-28-2013 08:04 PM

I could use a 15% weight reduction lol

90503 03-28-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning (Post 6351270)
I could use a 15% weight reduction lol

Just have your CEO mandate it by your 2016 model year...If the pressure's on, you can do it!...lol...

SlingShot 03-29-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6349243)

It would be something like this ...

90503 12-07-2013 08:03 PM

....Perhaps the 6th Gen Camaro may actually turn out to be a lighter weight car than the new Mustangs....

MikeT 12-08-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 7245021)
....Perhaps the 6th Gen Camaro may actually turn out to be a lighter weight car than the new Mustangs....

I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. The fact that Ford has completely shut up about weight loss in the Mustang has led some to speculate that the new car has probably GAINED weight. An Alpha Camaro should have no trouble undercutting the new Mustang in terms of weight.