CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   TS & P chop monster cam? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579490)

oilgear 07-31-2020 02:15 PM

TS & P chop monster cam?

There was an article in August road & track about the Texas Speed & Performance chop monster cam adding 125 hp to a stock 6L LQ4 motor , with headers. Has anyone here installed this cam in there LT1?

cmitchell17 07-31-2020 10:42 PM

I am pretty sure you're not going to get a LS cam to work in a LT.

TSP told me they were going to redesign their 'VVT" cam series for the LT's. A lot of the shops have given up on trying to make cams work with the cam phaser and he said it would probably be a long time before it happened after they did their Hemi cams.

I am not fully convinced their cams are as optimized as they claim, but maybe given their high durations and lifts, did design their VVT cams with that in mind and when they come out with their new line maybe the specs will seem more tame?

oilgear 08-01-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitchell17 (Post 10840125)

TSP told me they were going to redesign their 'VVT" cam series for the LT's. A lot of the shops have given up on trying to make cams work with the cam phaser and he said it would probably be a long time before it happened after they did their Hemi cams.

I am not fully convinced their cams are as optimized as they claim, but maybe given their high durations and lifts, did design their VVT cams with that in mind and when they come out with their new line maybe the specs will seem more tame?

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

blk 2013 08-02-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitchell17 (Post 10840125)

don't they offer cam phaser lock out kit that works pretty well?

KingLT1 08-03-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blk 2013 (Post 10841096)
don't they offer cam phaser lock out kit that works pretty well?

Yes the lockout works but the valve events of the VVT cams are not ideal for deleting VVT.

SJFGTO 08-03-2020 01:19 PM

A cam alone is not going to add 125 HP either at the crank or at the rear wheels. Not even with a tune.

blk 2013 08-03-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLT1 (Post 10841266)
Yes the lockout works but the valve events of the VVT cams are not ideal for deleting VVT.

gen 5 lt1 vt-3cam w/+32% fuel lobe 235/239 .645/.635 116 lsa ported heads,1-7/8 headers 0degree phaser limiter DOD delete kit this set up tuned to pull power from 3000 rpm 535hp at wheels good driveability this was done on a 2017 ss 6sp.

cmitchell17 08-03-2020 08:35 PM

Can anyone report how good their "VVT" cam is with VVT still enabled? I am really curious how my 228/236 VVT Stage1/2 would perform with at least a 10 degree lockout, I really would want to know if it would improve idle quality any too. With my cam anything below 1000 rpm starts to get rough. Idle isn't too bad but it does buck and surge at a rolling idle which gets really annoying, it will also surge and buck right when you apply a little throttle from a stop until it gets revved up past 1000 rpms. If I could do it over I probably wouldn't have gone with a cam this big, especially if I knew how little power it gained.

oldman 08-04-2020 12:01 AM

My first cam had a 22 degree limiter TSP, no tuner would fool with it.

6spdhyperblue 08-04-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitchell17 (Post 10841613)
Can anyone report how good their "VVT" cam is with VVT still enabled? I am really curious how my 228/236 VVT Stage1/2 would perform with at least a 10 degree lockout, I really would want to know if it would improve idle quality any too. With my cam anything below 1000 rpm starts to get rough. Idle isn't too bad but it does buck and surge at a rolling idle which gets really annoying, it will also surge and buck right when you apply a little throttle from a stop until it gets revved up past 1000 rpms. If I could do it over I probably wouldn't have gone with a cam this big, especially if I knew how little power it gained.

I’m not sure but I think if you add vvt you gain the ability to retard it from where it is now. So you wouldnt be advancing it anymore than it is now right?
Mechanically, different lifter preload changes the idle. I had an adjustable drivetrain once with drop in hydraulic lifters and spent a lot time playing with different preload. you could get more or less chop and idle vacuum by moving from one end of acceptable preload spectrum to the other.

Juiced1 08-04-2020 09:11 AM

We've installed a lot of their VVT cams and there is some power in advancing the VVT some on the smaller cams. The stage 3 and the El-C7 they recommend the full lock out. I don't think these cams are really meant to be messed with. The stage 1, the SV and even the stage 2 like a little advance at wot.

6spdhyperblue 08-04-2020 09:15 AM

So does the lockout set it retarded a certain amount of degrees? Stock cam is advanced when at 0* and retards 10* up top at wot

KingLT1 08-04-2020 10:33 AM

lock out is set to 0 degrees.

6spdhyperblue 08-07-2020 04:51 PM

If you retain vvt with an aftermarket cam, you’re trying not to overpower the cam phaser right?

Wouldn’t you want to run beehives? Also, wouldn’t a bigger fuel lobe significantly increase load on the phaser?

I’d like a cam but really want a working vvt and beehives.

Just a first crack, something like a custom cam motion 218/226 114+7
Something that will come on early and fully run out of steam by 6800rpm shifting 6650rpm
The vvt set to 0* would get me down to a 107icl, does that sound right?

I guess I’m gonna start looking for ptv limits