CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Anyone miss T-Tops? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528602)

Grumpy1 05-11-2018 11:48 AM

Anyone miss T-Tops?

I recently commented on a thread about the sunroof on the Camaro, I like most don't seem to care for it.
But, if we're talking T-Tops they would never be on the car.
I'm sure most have seen the Trans Am from our 6gen platform. When I realized it had T-Tops all I could do was drool and wish GM would start producing cars with them again.

majik755 05-11-2018 11:52 AM

I did have an older Nissan Z with t Tops and loved them. Mine never leaked but that was the biggest complaint I'd seen. Also like the Corvette removable Carbon fiber top on the coupe, I would love to see that. Not a fan of cloth roof, too much extra maintenance.

RxSummit16 05-11-2018 11:55 AM

I had 97 Formula with T tops...loved them and never leaked...

Navigator 05-11-2018 11:58 AM

I'll pass. They had their time and place.

https://i.imgur.com/XfT4rRZ.jpg

Gutling 05-11-2018 11:58 AM

Had a '98 with ttops. Never did anything besides leak. Was nice when sunny though

RenegadeXR 05-11-2018 12:03 PM

I wouldn't want t-tops. I would, however, love if a future Camaro had an automatic retractable hardtop like the MX-5 Miata. The Camaro already has a really tiny trunk that isn't practical for much else, so having no space with the top collapsed and stored in that spot doesn't seem like a big trade-off. It'd differentiate it from the Mustang for sure.

redcoats1976 05-11-2018 12:09 PM

no,but a T-back on the right woman is good.

Grumpy1 05-11-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeXR (Post 10181208)
I wouldn't want t-tops. I would, however, love if a future Camaro had an automatic retractable hardtop like the MX-5 Miata. The Camaro already has a really tiny trunk that isn't practical for much else, so having no space with the top collapsed and stored in that spot doesn't seem like a big trade-off. It'd differentiate it from the Mustang for sure.

That would be cool whether it be the complete vert (never did like cloth tops) or targa type.

martelds 05-11-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy1 (Post 10181181)
I recently commented on a thread about the sunroof on the Camaro, I like most don't seem to care for it.
But, if we're talking T-Tops they would never be on the car.
I'm sure most have seen the Trans Am from our 6gen platform. When I realized it had T-Tops all I could do was drool and wish GM would start producing cars with them again.

I love my sunroof way more than T-Tops, I had 3 Trans Ams in my live and the T-Tops were cool, but's it's so much easier to just hit the button and open my roof.

MrChrisLS3 05-11-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gutling (Post 10181201)
Had a '98 with ttops. Never did anything besides leak. Was nice when sunny though

Mine never leaked on the '98. However, one day I had forgotten to lock down the driver side. I was doing 90 on a down grade that turned up, as soon as I hit the bottom, the top blew off like an ejection canopy, must've gone 50 feet in the air. Thank goodness it didn't hit anyone on the way down.

But yeah, I think it would work. Given the architecture of the alpha platform compared the those older 3rd and 4th gens. It would be nice to have the open air experience and keep the coupe styling without having to pay for a Corvette.

ST1LE 05-11-2018 12:17 PM

Oh yeah I do! Had them on my '96 Z28, and LOVED them. Such a cool feature to have. I can see the issues though. Possible leaking and loss of trunk space when stored.

I had subwoofers in my trunk at the time, so the tops went on the back seat when removed.

init4fun 05-11-2018 12:24 PM

I’ve owned various cars with t-tops over the years and loved every one of them. Only leaking issues I had were with a 20 yr old cutlass where the rubber hardened.

Would absolutely love t-tops on the current camaro. If money was no object I would have them added to my car. I reached out to the company doing the trans a conversations and they will do them but the cost was prohibitive for me at this time.

hotlap 05-11-2018 12:25 PM

I had them on a 96, 91 and 76 Trans Am (Hurst Hatch). Had no problem with the 96 but the 91 and 76 leaked like hell and the body twist and cowl shake were awful.

My understanding it that it can't be done anymore because the T bar classifies it as a full roof and must therefore pass those roll over standard

z28pat 05-11-2018 12:30 PM

My 2002 z28 has them and I love them, I think a targa top would look better on a 6th gen though