CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Turbo 6.2 Build (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554303)

Choda 05-13-2019 08:30 AM

Turbo 6.2 Build

3 Attachment(s)
I just put a down payment on an upgraded short block and cnc ported lt1 heads from gtrain on here.

Short block:
- brand new GM LT1 Engine*Block
- Stock wet sump Crankshaft
- Manley H-Beam Rods
- Manley 2618 Pistons 10.5:1 compression
- ARP Rod Bolts
- Premium Total Seal Rings
- Clevite Bearings
- Professionally Balanced
- ARP Main Studs

CNC Ported LT1 heads:
_____Intake Exhaust*
.200 150 113*
.300 220 154*
.400 262 199*
.500 307 214*
.600 345 225
.650 357 227

I went with this combo to support my goals. I'm not looking for 1k wheel but a healthy power level with some comfort of mind it's got some decent parts in there.

I'm hoping to transfer as much top and front end from my old engine to this one. Intake manifold, water pump, misc brackets, ARP Head studs, factory rockers, BTR dual springs and chromoly pushrods. I'd guess the cam took some damage, i'll order the same custom spec'd cam BTR did for it.

With a better bottom end and lower compression we should be able to actually work the turbo. It was making great power with minimal effort at 10psi before. I'll differ to my Tuner for how we are going to approach this. Either steps of 100 hp increments supported by track results over the year or jump right back into 700 something, put some miles on it and then go up from there. I'm not sure I needed better heads but Gtrain's ported heads are very close to TSP's numbers and cheaper.

parish8 05-13-2019 09:53 AM

Ported heads are not a big concern on a boosted motor. Looks like a solid list that should be good for 1000+hp if you choose to turn it up. What turbos do you have?

Choda 05-13-2019 10:00 AM

Parish, I don’t know if I have the balls to attempt 1k. I agree on the heads but for the price vs factory replacements... I figured why not. I also probably didn’t need the arp main studs being turbo instead of blower. But again, why not At this point?

I’ve been following your build for a while. I bumped your ring gap off the builder and he uses .028 and you used .026 and .032. Should i ask him to match your specs?

Single Garrett GTX4202R w Tial SS 1.16 AR.

parish8 05-13-2019 10:13 AM

That turbo is a little on the small side anything you do that makes the motor flow even more air at less pressure will push it even farther off the map. The ported heads are an example of more airflow at less boost putting the turbo in a less desirable part of the map.

Figure you will be around 65lbs of air at 1.5pr, something like 90lbs of air at a 2pr

https://www.garrettmotion.com/wp-con...p-GTX4202R.jpg

parish8 05-13-2019 10:14 AM

It will still work and be crazy fast but anything like a stroker kit and it would really be off the map.

Choda 05-24-2019 07:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
gtrain (Dave) got the rotating assembly balanced and new gm block. He is throwing it all together now. Hopefully be shipping to NY next week.

He assured I was removing DOD then sent me a pic of him drilling and tapping the DOD holes for screw in plugs. Little things like this make me feel great about the product that will be arriving to the shop. I'm sure the hammer in plugs work great but I'd choose screw in style any day.

Choda 05-30-2019 08:20 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Short block was built and shipped along with his ported heads. Thanks Dave for the quick turn around, communication and detailed specifications.

Choda 05-30-2019 08:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Couple more

oldman 05-30-2019 09:42 AM

wow... looks great

Umbriel 05-30-2019 10:08 AM

Who built your turbo kit? Not a lot of turbo options out there right now for these cars, especially single turbos.

laynlo15 05-30-2019 10:50 AM

That's the same Manley Pistons/Rods I used and mine is also 10.5 compression. I'm was impressed with the Manley pieces. I've been running my Maggie at about 15lbs of boost, no knock which we had last year with the stock higher compression motor. Shouldn't have the ring land issue I had with the stock motor either. You have a killer setup and should be pretty stellar drag car. Congrats.

oldman 05-30-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parish8 (Post 10517516)
That turbo is a little on the small side anything you do that makes the motor flow even more air at less pressure will push it even farther off the map. The ported heads are an example of more airflow at less boost putting the turbo in a less desirable part of the map.

Figure you will be around 65lbs of air at 1.5pr, something like 90lbs of air at a 2pr

https://www.garrettmotion.com/wp-con...p-GTX4202R.jpg

this turbo is prone to choke on this application, it really is a high boost turbo, medium flow unit. possible a larger frame but with a smaller trim and a MUCH smaller A/R.

Choda 05-30-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 10531466)
wow... looks great

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umbriel (Post 10531496)
Who built your turbo kit? Not a lot of turbo options out there right now for these cars, especially single turbos.

Frumusa Performance built it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynlo15 (Post 10531552)
That's the same Manley Pistons/Rods I used and mine is also 10.5 compression. I'm was impressed with the Manley pieces. I've been running my Maggie at about 15lbs of boost, no knock which we had last year with the stock higher compression motor. Shouldn't have the ring land issue I had with the stock motor either. You have a killer setup and should be pretty stellar drag car. Congrats.

Awesome results and thanks. We are all really excited to see what it makes and the power difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 10531777)
this turbo is prone to choke on this application, it really is a high boost turbo, medium flow unit. possible a larger frame but with a smaller trim and a MUCH smaller A/R.

I sure hope not. This is a pricey unit and I love the way it reacts currently. Very very little lag. Is that compressor map for the standard turbo or w the tial housing?

Umbriel 05-30-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choda (Post 10531898)
Thanks

New era performance built it.

Awesome results and thanks. We are all really excited to see what it makes and the power difference.

I sure hope not. This is a pricey unit and I love the way it reacts currently. Very very little lag. Is that compressor map for the standard turbo or w the tial housing?

Thanks. Do you have a round about price on what they charged? Just a ballpark would be cool and you can PM me if you would rather.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk