CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Looking for opinions / experience -- SS vs ZL1. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519376)

Whipple 01-26-2018 09:19 AM

Looking for opinions / experience -- SS vs ZL1.

Hello,

This is my first post.

Planning to order a 2018 Camaro SS or ZL1 convertible with M6 trans.

This car will not be a daily driver but rather a nice day / joy ride toy.

It will get driven hard on the street as opportunity allows but likely never go the the drag strip or a road course.

My question to this group is:

is the ZL1 experience so great that a loaded SS just can't compare or is the SS close enough that one would be better off saving the extra money etc ?

I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks for your time.

ctrlz 01-26-2018 09:34 AM

I think the ZL1 is on a different level. I have a 2SS I use as a daily driver. I considered the ZL1, but thought it would attract too much of the wrong kind of attention.
I would think the ZL1 makes the better "joy ride" choice.

metros11 01-26-2018 09:37 AM

I would think whether you buy an SS or ZL1 they would both attract the wrong kind of attention. To answer OP's question, only you can decide what's right for you. Drive them both.

torqueaddict 01-26-2018 09:43 AM

Just picked up a 2018 SS M6 that I'm very happy with. Everyday, I cannot wait to get in and drive it. The stock NPP in sport mode is very satisfying and makes a statement. It's a blast and is quick no doubt. However, the ZL1 is about 200 hp more, so you will definitely feel the difference in that car. Handling is also better, but the SS handles like a champ as well and you can get the suspension package upgrade (or simply purchase the 1LE).

Only a test drive would determine how YOU feel about both cars. I have not test driven the ZL1, but it's a no brainer as to which is boss.

If money is no object, get the ZL1. If it's going to hurt your pocket somewhat, get the SS. Just my opinion.

ZED SLED 01-26-2018 10:10 AM

Sounds like you plan to use the car the same way I use mine. I've owned a 2010 SS M6, a 2013 ZL M6 vert, and now a 2017 ZL1 M6.
If money is not a concern, get the ZL1.

SLO 01-26-2018 11:39 AM

What are your driving habits, what types of vehicles have you had in the past?

For me, I have had some decent hp vehicles and had been away from modding and car scene for a while. I wanted to get something that had a quality interior, some creature comforts.... but a good baseline for power/handling. Something I could easily mod but if for some reason that day didn't come, I would still be ok with the power.

There were other vehicles I considered.... but all had a sacrifice. Cr*ppy interior, 1 trick pony, or sufferieng severely in the power/handling category. The ZL1 for me wasn't the best at any one thing, but did great and can hold its own in many different aspects.

The SS is a great car, just wasnt for me with my habits, there was too much I would need to do and possible frustrations with delays from shops and such, not to mention risk. For those of you that have been around shops for a long time, there is risk.

Yes you can mod, but your chasing a different trim in the beginning unless you go all out and just surpass the ZL1. When I mod, I want to chase a vision, not another trim of the same vehicle. I wanted something that maybe a set of wheels and some minor bolts ons and call it a day. Keeping a warranty also..... Or when Im ready to, just go all out.

Good luck in your choice, both vehicles are great, tough one for sure considering the $$$ difference.

pjz1082 01-26-2018 12:11 PM

If you have the funds for a ZL1, get it. I have no experience in either car but from a resale/collector perspective it will always be a more attractive vehicle. The SS is an amazing machine but the ZL1 is the tip of the spear.

DevilsReject97 01-26-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 10056338)
Sounds like you plan to use the car the same way I use mine. I've owned a 2010 SS M6, a 2013 ZL M6 vert, and now a 2017 ZL1 M6.
If money is not a concern, get the ZL1.

:word::word::word:

I went from a 2011 1SS to a ZL1....and yes there is that much of a difference in terms of power.... the SS 1LE is about as close as you can get to the ZL1 in terms of handling, and its not that far off...

However....650hp is just hard to ignore...or not abuse :P

DjsBadger 01-26-2018 02:09 PM

Split the difference and get a 1SS 1LE.

JRS 01-26-2018 08:46 PM

I have both and when it comes to pure power you can't beat the ZL1 not that the SS is a slouch.

The SS is more practical for everyday driving power wise because you can open it up and not be going stupid fast like the ZL1.

The SS is better on fuel mileage.

In terms of retail value down the road the ZL1 should hold value a little better.

Handling wise the SS is great but the ZL1 is better plain and simple.

If you want to mod down the road, the SS has a good many options but with some internal engine limitations, the ZL1 has a lot of boost options to make more power but they usually cost a good bit.

The biggest pro of both,
SS, cheaper to buy, easy to find, cheaper insurance, great preformance.
ZL1, collectability, great value for the money, fast fast fast

The biggest con of both
SS, depreciation, more common
ZL1, seats are kind of tight (a least for me), fuel mileage goes down quick with driving hard.

I love them both just in different ways, this is just my thoughts, it up to each persons opinion. Test drive both!

greaser2 01-26-2018 09:03 PM

Get the ZL1 and you’ll have no regrets. A10 by the way.

JamesNoBrakes 01-26-2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torqueaddict (Post 10056294)
The stock NPP in sport mode is very satisfying and makes a statement.

For a production car, it's nuts IMO (in a good way). I've been driving a bit here during winter and the sound even when it's auto-rev-matching is awesome to listen to, let along when you pull. This is one of my favorite features of the car, hell you just want to keep starting the car due to how it roars to life each time.

But, for a car that's going to be driven hard...you want a convertible?

JamesNoBrakes 01-26-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS (Post 10057042)
Handling wise the SS is great but the ZL1 is better plain and simple.

If he changes his convertible requirement, he could get the SS 1LE, which handles better than the ZL1 due to same tires/shocks/relatively same chassis tune and less weight up front.

travislambert 01-26-2018 10:06 PM

I've owned both... Here's my opinion:

The SS is a better daily driver.
- The ride height is a little higher, which here in WV makes a big difference.
- It's WAY easier to get in and out of than the ZL1. The high bolster seats and side skirts in the ZL1 make getting in and out tough.
- The power of the SS is pretty comparable in the first couple gears since both cars are somewhat traction limited. On most road course tracks the SS 1LE is going to be pretty comparable to the ZL1 too.
- Gas mileage is a little better
- I prefer the traditional leather over the suede
- The cost is much less (obviously)
- My insurance was $50 less a month than the ZL1

Don't buy an SS and put a supercharger on it though... If you're going to do that, just get the ZL1. That way your gearing, fuel supply, etc. is all correct.

The ZL1 is a better occasional vehicle
- The power is amazing especially after you get moving.
- It looks better IMO
- It should hold its value a little better in the long term
- Did I mention the power?