Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Things to know BEFORE you modifying your car (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428524)

Ryne @ CMS 11-03-2015 04:34 PM

Things to know BEFORE you modifying your car

Are you eager to modify your car? Great!! First, let's help you understand exactly what you're doing to your vehicle, what to expect from your vehicle, and what you'll ultimately sacrifice in doing so.

-Are you willing to sacrifice driveability for more horsepower or better performance? Basic modifications like Intake or exhaust typically won't cause any sort of issues. When you start adding cam packages, nitrous or forced induction, you start to compromise certain aspects of your vehicle. A cam, for example, depending on the size will make the car "buck" or lurch while driving at low RPM.

-Understand that maintenance needs to be performed at more frequent intervals. Your car isn't stock anymore and is made to perform at a higher level than stock. This means oil changes and regular service schedules that the factory recommends go out the window. Always consult your shop of choice regarding this. IT'S EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!

-Understand that your vehicle now has a higher likelihood of failure. You're pushing the engine harder and with that comes a higher possibility of catastrophic damage and more wear and tear. Do not expect your engine to last 100k+ miles with two turbos hanging from it. Always be cautious and treat your car with the utmost respect.

-Most modifications are not street or smog legal! If you want a twin turbo setup with a huge cam and a built engine, don't expect to pass smog or be exempt from tickets. These vehicles, in the eyes of the law, cannot be operated on the street legally. Ask your shop of choice if they have street legal setup, should that be a concern for you.

-With more horsepower comes other factors to consider. Your car may need different, and more expensive fuel, tires and parts that need to be changed more frequently. Your gas mileage will more than likely drop and your tires will not last as long as a harder compound would.
PLEASE consider all of this before you drop your vehicle off. If you aren't willing to sacrifice some aspects of you vehicle for better performance, you might want to hold off on any modifications till you know exactly what you're getting into. Your shop of choice should have all the answers. If they don't, time to find a new shop!

Jeff_SS 11-03-2015 04:47 PM

CMS FTW

Avenging Orange 11-03-2015 04:49 PM

So happy to see a post like this. Its something I try to preach often....but most don't listen. People need to really listen, research and understand these simple rules you have laid out. Thank you!

KaBoom1701 11-03-2015 04:51 PM

Good info.

Well said. :)

MikosV6 11-03-2015 04:52 PM

I wonder how many get duped when they're told that a "tune" won't void their powertrain warranty? "Oh, we'll just program it back to stock and you won't have any problems." Yeah right!

I know there are a few mod friendly dealers out there, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Hence why I bought a new car in the first place. You know.....to have that 5 year/60K mile piece of mind.

Desert Dweller 11-03-2015 04:58 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JDP Sales 11-03-2015 05:08 PM

:clap2: Well said! Done correctly though, durability should only be slightly affected if at all, unless you are REALLY pushing the limits.

Thanks for the write up, OP!

Jared Royce
JDP Motorsports

jshaf 11-03-2015 05:12 PM

where was this thread before my bank account was drained? kind of mad.......til I drop the hammer and hear that V8 thunder :) what was this thread about again?....:)

NC_SS 11-03-2015 05:15 PM

To be honest I'll be happy with a loud car and very little internal modifications

I think if I wanted way more HP I'd go with something a little more safer like a low boost supercharger, or at least that's what I consider safe lol

NC_SS 11-03-2015 05:16 PM

Not that I can really justify that when I'm saving for a home lol

Maybe ZL1's will be nice and affordable in 10-15 years time :smiling1:

christianchevell 11-03-2015 06:13 PM

Amen...... My last mod in my sig is Driven racing ls30 my oil , it should also read trading out /check of springs every 25k, ditch high flow cats @50k, plugs every 10k-15k or so, rear end modified to take the power and not wheel hop or grenade thru suspension and better bushings and cover with fluid changes, all parts chosen carefully and assembled professionally; dyno tuned right! With 500 wear rating aaa traction toyo proxes 4+ because Pirellis are 220 wear rating.... etc etc. I have tried to tell people about using better oil but only the hard core will listen, or think they know the best recipe using what ever oil....and regular dexos standard may last o.k. but its far from being for a built engine.

cam looses 2 mpg mostly, FI would be of course incrementally more by far....

USCAMARO14 11-03-2015 06:28 PM

Great info!

Badfinger 11-03-2015 06:59 PM

Spot on but you sound like my dad. :facepalm:

rontammy0 11-03-2015 07:06 PM

Good advice but in the end people will do what they want with no regard to end result.