CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Exhaust Sound (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599665)

retmil 11-21-2021 12:04 PM

Exhaust Sound

Anyone have an idea how to ret rid of the "crackling/raspy" sound when decelerating on my 22SS? I know I can change the exhaust but axle backs are crazy expensive. I had the same issue on my 17SS and swapped out the exhaust. I do put the engine "sound" mode in Touring and that helps a bit.

cheeze9878 11-21-2021 12:29 PM

get a tune

arpad_m 11-21-2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retmil (Post 11100520)
Anyone have an idea how to ret rid of the "crackling/raspy" sound when decelerating on my 22SS? I know I can change the exhaust but axle backs are crazy expensive. I had the same issue on my 17SS and swapped out the exhaust. I do put the engine "sound" mode in Touring and that helps a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeze9878 (Post 11100530)
get a tune

Yup, it's in the tune, see these threads for details (in case you're ready to surrender your powertrain warranty to eliminate a few pops and crackles :smiling1:):

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569449
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563618

JKSully 11-21-2021 12:49 PM

You may also be able to reduce it if you are able to more gently let off the throttle pedal when decelerating - that should reduce the amount of unburnt fuel that gets dumped into the exhaust.

NateZ28 11-24-2021 12:28 PM

Personally I love the sound with the exhaust sound in "track" mode, if I want it quieter I change the exhaust to tour or stealth. When I do get a tune and eventually a cam I want it even louder. I'm assuming you don't have an active exhaust OP?

Motor Fast 11-24-2021 04:49 PM

I noticed once I put a full exhaust system on mine it was not as prevalent. A tune cost money too, might as well get an exhaust.

CreeperRS 11-25-2021 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retmil (Post 11100520)

Yeah, get a Prius, it doesn’t make that sound, better yet, get a Tesla, it makes no sound.:smiling1:

arpad_m 11-25-2021 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeperRS (Post 11101915)
Yeah, get a Prius, it doesn’t make that sound, better yet, get a Tesla, it makes no sound.:smiling1:

Come on, don't be harsh on him :smiling1: My car crackles and pops a lot less than a stock '19+ because of the tune, and I think it's better for it. I can make it pop and burble a bit, but 4-5 seconds' worth of firecracking for every single decel is a bit overkill.
We may all have a Camaro, but we sure ain't all the same :happy0180:

Seventh Camaro 11-25-2021 11:14 PM

I have a new 2022 2SS M6 as well with NPP. I did put a flowmaster axle back NPP on the car (P/N 817746). I'm not much of a fan of the crackle on decel either, and the axle back didn't help or hurt. What I have noticed is that the crackling is most prevalent in the 2000-2500 RPM range. So if I am cruising around town (40 MPH range) when I leave a stop light, I either short shift about 1900 RPM or go long and shift around 2600 RPM. Cruising on my main drag at 40 MPH in 4th it's running about 1900 RPM. In doing so, I can pretty much keep the popping to minimum. Not sure if yours is an M6 or auto. I have not been in a new auto, so I wasn't sure if the shift pattern in an auto makes the crackling more or less noticeable under normal throttle? Interested if anyone knows the difference.

I can say that I do really like the flowmaster NPP. In tour mode, the car is slightly louder than stock NPP in tour mode, but in Sport or Track Mode, I'd say the car is 15-20 percent louder with a nice deep tone.

retmil 11-26-2021 04:03 PM

I have the NPP exhaust and the Touring engine sound is the only one that eliminates some of the crackling but is kind of quiet also. Thinking about going to Stainless Works axle-back but a little too expensive so I will live with what I have. And the Prius comment was totally un-called for.

CreeperRS 11-26-2021 06:40 PM

:laughabove::smiling1:To everyone having a pissy fit, get over it. Anyways, I know how to make decel pop non existing, and you don’t need to waste money on a tune. All you need to do use the brake more often rather than lifting the foot off the accelerator, and have it on Tour mode, that’s how.

Zr8000 11-27-2021 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeperRS (Post 11102370)
:laughabove::smiling1:To everyone having a pissy fit, get over it. Anyways, I know how to make decel pop non existing, and you don’t need to waste money on a tune. All you need to do use the brake more often rather than lifting the foot off the accelerator, and have it on Tour mode, that’s how.

Mine rarely does it in touring if you drive it like a normal person. If you constantly stab and chop the throttle it will pop.

Jerry455 11-28-2021 06:48 PM

That popping noise seems to be all the "rage" around here lately. Personally I hate it but I seem to be in the minority. A coworker has a 2016, not Camaro, SS and his car pops a lot. He loves it. To me it sounds ricey. Lots of the foreign cars seems to pop a lot. It seems to be popular with the Honda and BMW crowd around here.

Nilly Welson 11-30-2021 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=retmil;11100520]Anyone have an idea how to ret rid of the "crackling/raspy" sound when decelerating on my 22SS? I know I can change the exhaust but axle backs are crazy expensive. I had the same issue on my 17SS and swapped out the exhaust. I do put the engine "sound" mode in Touring and that helps a bit.[/QUOTE

Cut out the X-Pipe and replace it with an H-Pipe.