CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=257)
-   -   Advice on warranty service (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598638)

95 imp 10-22-2021 01:56 AM

Advice on warranty service

So here's the deal....

I took delivery of my ride a little over a year ago. One of the boxes I checked was the side skirts when I ordered it.

When I picked it up, the skirts weren't installed right. The back half (on both sides) didn't lock in. There was a gap between the rocker and the finished outer cover was well as they'd actually pull away from the car.

No biggie.. I have a warranty, right?

I take it in and still have the same problem. SMH.

I take it back again and talk to the service manager. He promises to straighten it out. I get it back and there are now body screws thru put in thru the fender well lip to hold them in place, but there is a gap as wide as my finger between the rocker and the skirt still.

So, after 3 attempts, and the service manager gig, I figure they do not know
how to install them or give a damn to install them right.

Now, fast forward to August 8th. My car gets the front fascia ripped off by a moron in a RV at the gas station. (totally new story)

I decided to send the car to the other dealer in town because of the circus at dealership 1.

While it's sitting waiting for parts, I tell the body shop advisor that I need my rockers and hood stripe repaired under warranty and please handle it while they have the car.

When I pick up the car on 10/12, (which still isn't done) they say they can't fix the skirts because "the other guys worked on it". The hood stripe they can do because "no one has touched it yet".

Now I'm not happy. What the hell happened to 36 mo/36k bumper to bumper?

I call GM because dealer 1 are yo-yo's and dealer 2 refuses to do warranty work.

The guy I'm dealing with is nice, but can't get results. Dealer 1 states the the car was bought "15 months ago". "The accident caused the problems" and anything else they could come up with to weasel out.

Dealer 2 feels the skirts were installed wrong and need a new set, but won't do it.

GM dude says there is nothing he can do, maybe I need to pay out of pocket.
(He realized that wasn't going to fly when I politely reminded him I have a warranty in effect).

Now, GM dude says there is nothin he can do, it needs to go to the next level above him and I'm waiting for a call from GM dude 2.

Anyone else have problems like this? What are the magic words I need to use (besides lawyer) to get some action?

Spaceme1117 10-22-2021 06:19 AM

Chevy dealerships in my experience, are terrible. The perfect combination of not caring about your car and incompetence.

It it were me, for any damage repairs, I would find a good independent body shop.

For the rockers, I would see if I could get the first dealership that literally screwed them up to order a new set on their dime, then install them myself. Or bring your car and the rockers to a reputable body shop and pay out of pocket to have them installed.

Stop bringing your car to the dealership. They will keep wasting your time, screwing you over, and messing up your car worse than it was.

Sucks, I know but this is the way it usually is with most dealerships, especially Chevy.

95 imp 10-22-2021 10:37 AM

Actually, the body shop has been one of the top 10 body shops in the country in the last few years.

They did an amazing job of hitting the color. And, to their credit, shock isn't an easy color to match. Have no beef with that end of it (overall).

As far as service, the car got the "free oil change" and they haven't seen it since because I know the repairs are all overpriced and underperformed.

You'd think installing some plastic wouldn't be complicated. I might try the "install it yourself" route if all else fails.
Thanks!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Chutzpah 10-22-2021 11:11 AM

The second dealer won’t touch it for two reasons. They won’t get paid for warranty work that’s already been paid prior (to dealer 1). Dealer 2 has no idea what he’s going to find when he tries to remove dealer 1’s botch job….and possibly may make things worse on his dime. Tough situation there…

WhiteMale 10-22-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chutzpah (Post 11087601)
The second dealer won’t touch it for two reasons. They won’t get paid for warranty work that’s already been paid prior (to dealer 1). Dealer 2 has no idea what he’s going to find when he tries to remove dealer 1’s botch job….and possibly may make things worse on his dime. Tough situation there…

I agree

95 imp 11-02-2021 11:55 PM

So, here is the update:

Dealer 2 Service Manager took pics of the rockers and is supposed to be talking to senior advisor at corporate.

They are claiming that there are issues with the OEM skirts from GM on all the vehicles.

Is anyone else having fitment issues and/or having the back half loose on the car?

Yellow BB 11-04-2021 02:15 PM

Wow, sounds like my experience with Ram. Local dealer wouldn’t touch it & other dealers couldn’t get it it right to save themselves. I hired a lemon law attorney & FCA bought that turd back. Taking photos & keeping a journal are extremely instrumental in resolving issues like this. I’m really not sure what you mean by “fender skirts”. I purchased the OEM body color mud guards & installed them myself & they fit super tight with no issues. I have the 2017 SS 2SS.

Spaceme1117 11-04-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow BB (Post 11092884)
Wow, sounds like my experience with Ram. Local dealer wouldn’t touch it & other dealers couldn’t get it it right to save themselves. I hired a lemon law attorney & FCA bought that turd back. Taking photos & keeping a journal are extremely instrumental in resolving issues like this. I’m really not sure what you mean by “fender skirts”. I purchased the OEM body color mud guards & installed them myself & they fit super tight with no issues. I have the 2017 SS 2SS.

Not sure what year they added this option, but there is a package that adds rocker moldings/skirts.

95 imp 11-13-2021 12:26 AM

These aren't the body colored fender well mud guards. The ones I ordered are the Satin Black Side Skirts.

https://wildhammermotorsports.com/16...%20Catch%20All

UPDATE:

gm (Not GM) leaned on dealership #1 after getting the pics and they "seen the light".

The Service Director promised both sides will be removed and new ones reinstalled.
Also offered a rental car while they had it, plus he will personally handle everything so it gets done right this time.