CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Gm molded splash guards anyone (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554591)

z28pat 05-17-2019 10:42 AM

Gm molded splash guards anyone

I have the zl1 addon guards because of rock chips already but I’m wondering if anyone has the gm molded ones and how they work with 1le huge rear tires
Thanks

Ventura 1LE 05-17-2019 01:49 PM

I have the oem splash guards. They were on the car during the purchase. They offer some protection from road grime. However if your in area with less than ideal kept roadways or if you track then your best bet is go with larger such as ZL1 add-on versions. I have to tape up the rear quarter to keep the road rash during my track days. Still I have some chipping through the clear coating and some in the base paint.

They color matched OEM are nice looking but offer the least amount of rock grim sludge or rock chipping.

BMKY 05-17-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ventura 1LE (Post 10521364)
I have the oem splash guards. They were on the car during the purchase. They offer some protection from road grime. However if your in area with less than ideal kept roadways or if you track then your best bet is go with larger such as ZL1 add-on versions. I have to tape up the rear quarter to keep the road rash during my track days. Still I have some chipping through the clear coating and some in the base paint.

They color matched OEM are nice looking but offer the least amount of rock grim sludge or rock chipping.

I second that. I also have the OEM splash guards which look great on the car but the protection is very limited especially on track day. One more problem with the OEM guards is that you may need to cut the ZL1 side skirt if you are also installing that.

Bad Anvil Garage 05-17-2019 03:57 PM

Nothing works.

Whitespeed 05-17-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage (Post 10521459)
Nothing works.

Side skirts have done a pretty good job of reducing the rock chips on my 1LE. I have the RPI Designs skirts. I got them specifically for this purpose.

Nigel

wjones14 05-18-2019 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage (Post 10521459)
Nothing works.

That's true, at least not 100%.

I have the OEM molded pre-painted guards. Love the appearance. They're better than no guards at all. The rear guards do a great job. No chips yet for me. The front guards don't stop rocks from hitting the area in front of the rear wheels. OEM Front guards + PPF in front of the rear wheels is what I did. Replaced the tiny factory PPF with pieces that go up to the body seam. After one year, mine have a couple marks in them, which would have been paint chips otherwise. Planning on replacing the PPF with new pieces this spring.

Tim M 05-18-2019 10:36 AM

Mine wears the chips proudly! :-)

EVIL 1LE 05-18-2019 08:43 PM

This is a huge issue with me. My 1LE is brand new, black, with 500 km on it. The rear lower quarters are already peppered. ZL1Addons rock guards were on since day 1.they don't help at all. Waiting for sides skirts to come in, hopefully they help a bit. I plan on getting the chips filled and putting more clear film on. It is driving me crazy.

Scottyz 05-18-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVIL 1LE (Post 10522251)
This is a huge issue with me. My 1LE is brand new, black, with 500 km on it. The rear lower quarters are already peppered. ZL1Addons rock guards were on since day 1.they don't help at all. Waiting for sides skirts to come in, hopefully they help a bit. I plan on getting the chips filled and putting more clear film on. It is driving me crazy.

Do you have ppf on the rear quarters now?

EVIL 1LE 05-18-2019 10:46 PM

Just on the lower sections from factory....even that is all scuffed and chipped..

Scottyz 05-19-2019 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVIL 1LE (Post 10522301)
Just on the lower sections from factory....even that is all scuffed and chipped..

You should try some PPF with the self healing properties in the impact areas.
Whereabouts are you in Ontario?

EVIL 1LE 05-19-2019 09:23 AM

Cold and wet Sault Ste Marie lol..