CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   driveway angle feels like bottoming out (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501331)

dabomb4ever 07-12-2017 05:07 PM

driveway angle feels like bottoming out

New 2017 SS 1LE owner here, and I had a question regarding suspension travel. My driveway is at a decent slope from the street and to ensure I don't scrape the front splitter, I take it slow and at a 45 degree angle to ensure both tires don't end up in the curb dip. I don't think that it would scrape unless I hit it straight on at 5mph with a passenger in the car, but better to be safe than sorry. Ive noticed that as I am partially on the road and partially on the driveway, I have an unusual feeling in traction that it almost feels like the car is bottoming out on the frame, or that the suspension travel is maxed out and the car is on two wheels (left front/right rear) . As I release the clutch in first to crawl entirely onto the driveway, there is a small margin between the rear tires slipping and killing the engine. My previous car is an M3, so I am used to having a lower car with less suspension travel, but Ive never encountered this type of feeling in a cars suspension before. Is this typical for this car with the 1LE suspension? My driveway isn't that extreme, I have also encountered this on typical driveways as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Nick

seanblurr 07-12-2017 06:17 PM

Are you feeling the car teeter on three wheels? My inside rear wheel goes into the air as I enter my driveway too.

rootus 07-12-2017 06:46 PM

Sounds normal to me. At least, I get exactly the same effect going up inclined driveways with my STI. There's a moment when I'm pretty sure it lifts a wheel or nearly so, and you're basically balancing all the weight on two wheels. Stiff chassis and not a lot of suspension droop will do that.

devnull 07-12-2017 07:59 PM

Mine does the exact same thing Nick. I was sure I was scraping the splitter, but it was just the traction/engine dump. After 5 lowered vettes I thought this one would be easy, but it freaked me out a bit in the beginning!

GREAT CAR!

Allez 07-12-2017 08:19 PM

Just have someone watch you while you're doing this.

Easy enough to do.

formoutofchaos 07-12-2017 09:02 PM

I used to bricks squares for garden and a long cut piece of wood and no scraping ugly but works

lownslowss 07-12-2017 09:29 PM

One of my rear wheels comes up, spin it every time

RXtacy 07-12-2017 09:29 PM

I've also had the three 3 wheeling experience. Like others have said, a result of stiff chassis and little suspension travel.

Trackpack 07-12-2017 10:29 PM

Yes, same here on a moderate driveway. Works great on track though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW1LE 07-13-2017 07:22 AM

I had to have the front part of my driveway re-poured to stop the scrapping. This car is very stiff, so you will get wheel coming off the ground when coming in at an angle. I used a 2x8 for a while but got tired of putting it down and taking it up when going in and out of the driveway, and it would also move around some if you don't hit it just right.

mjk3888 07-13-2017 08:38 AM

This car is very VERY rigid!!! It's very easy to pick up 1 of the rear wheels when articulating. That's what your feeling.

Yendor 07-13-2017 10:59 AM

Anyone try something like this? My driveway isn't steep, but I've still scraped and have to be very careful going up it.

http://www.newpaloaltohouse.com/2013...on-thumbs.html

dotfiles 07-13-2017 11:25 AM

I three wheel going into my driveway as well. My solution has been to use a more shallow angle and keep a small bit of momentum (1-2mph) so that the car never stops. If the car stops, one wheel will spin as I start moving again and the eLSD will engage.

I believe these cars have a higher tendency to three wheel than others because both the chassis (alpha platform FTW) and the sway-bars are very stiff, not allowing much articulation to happen.

RatedR 07-13-2017 11:28 AM

As everyone else has said, i have felt it too. I think some of the odd feelings may be the e-diff trying to deal with one wheel lifting.