CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Autocross Videos - Tips and Discussion (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508982)

jwisjw 09-25-2017 12:09 PM

Autocross Videos - Tips and Discussion

New to the car and the community, figured I would post my Camaro videos here for any tips and discussion. Maybe this could be a collective thread for all autocross videos?

9/23-9/24 Southern California - El Toro

Practice/Champ Run
F-Street 2017 Camaro SS - Stock Tires w/ Alignment

1 Practice Run in a friends car
A-Street 2017 Camaro SS 1 LE - Stock Tires w/ Alignment

Wife's Practice Run

Wife's Champ Run
A-Street 2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Stock Tires w/ Alignment

Its amazing that the delta between the two cars was 2+ sec. Really looking forward to 19" wheels and Bridgestones RE71R for the F-Street Camaro.

Coming from a lower hp, lighter weight and smaller rwd car its definitely hard to control the right foot and not hit cones.

JRL1LE 09-25-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwisjw (Post 9917894)
New to the car and the community, figured I would post my Camaro videos here for any tips and discussion. Maybe this could be a collective thread for all autocross videos?

9/23-9/24 Southern California - El Toro

Practice/Champ Run

1 Practice Run in a friends car
A-Street 2017 Camaro SS 1 LE - Stock Tires w/ Alignment

Its amazing that the delta between the two cars was 2+ sec. Really looking forward to 19" wheels and Bridgestones RE71R for the F-Street Camaro.

Coming from a lower hp, lighter weight and smaller rwd car its definitely hard to control the right foot and not hit cones.

Jeff,

The difference is mostly tires, the Goodyears on the SS 1LE are within 2-5 tenths of the RE71r's. Congrats on the new car, they are a lot of fun.

John

jwisjw 09-25-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRL1LE (Post 9917920)
Jeff,

The difference is mostly tires, the Goodyears on the SS 1LE are within 2-5 tenths of the RE71r's. Congrats on the new car, they are a lot of fun.

John

Thanks!

Wow, that is scary fast because the SS 1LE with the 1 run raw timed my STX FR-S and was running STR/U times. The owner was significantly faster than me, I want to say .7-.8 faster.

Do you have any feedback/data on the Goodyears that came in the 1SS vs RE71R?

JRL1LE 09-25-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwisjw (Post 9918001)
Thanks!

Wow, that is scary fast because the SS 1LE with the 1 run raw timed my STX FR-S and was running STR/U times. The owner was significantly faster than me, I want to say .7-.8 faster.

The Goodyears on the SS 1LE were developed for that car and really work. They need more heat than the RE1'rs to work but they are quick.
After running both tires on my stock SS 1LE, the RE71r's are about 1/4 one 1/2 of a second quicker per autox lap, I thought it would be a bigger gap between the two tires. The Goodyears are a great track, almost as quick as the the RE71'rs but last longer.

Sorry, just saw that you were wondering about the 1SS, non 1LE Goodyears, don't have any experience with those.

apexit53 09-25-2017 03:56 PM

Welcome to FS Jeff!

I came from a crx to BRZ to the camaro as well and took me a decent amount of time to get used to it. Nice thing is I have some top drivers to chase down in FS in Milwaukee to chase down. The 19" will really help gearing as well.

I know you're normally an ST guy do you plan on running FS or going to STP or cam?

rotis 09-25-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

The RE71R is significantly faster than the 1SS Goodyears. I don't have a solid time delta because I never ran them both on the same course, but they really aren't close.

rotis 09-25-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

There is a lot of course dependency here, it's a wide car with lots of power against a narrow car with very little power. Sometimes I out-raw STU and STR, sometimes I don't. There was some pretty good power on the course in your video.

jwisjw 09-25-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apexit53 (Post 9918183)
Welcome to FS Jeff!

I came from a crx to BRZ to the camaro as well and took me a decent amount of time to get used to it. Nice thing is I have some top drivers to chase down in FS in Milwaukee to chase down. The 19" will really help gearing as well.

I know you're normally an ST guy do you plan on running FS or going to STP or cam?

Thanks! The plan is to stay in FS for next year and hopefully will have a custom Koni strut/shock solution for the Camaro. The following year, I suspect will be STP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotis (Post 9918219)
The RE71R is significantly faster than the 1SS Goodyears. I don't have a solid time delta because I never ran them both on the same course, but they really aren't close.

That is very promising to hear and am looking forward to the change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotis (Post 9918240)
There is a lot of course dependency here, it's a wide car with lots of power against a narrow car with very little power. Sometimes I out-raw STU and STR, sometimes I don't. There was some pretty good power on the course in your video.

Indeed there was and truly my only gauge is the FS Camaro which makes even "open" elements seem awfully tight. Though, the 1LE at least on the 1 run, was a slaloming beast, relatively.

Will be putting on Bridgestones and running them at Crows Landing this weekend. Will post up more videos when we have them.

rotis 09-25-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwisjw (Post 9918328)
Thanks! The plan is to stay in FS for next year and hopefully will have a custom Koni strut/shock solution for the Camaro. The following year, I suspect will be STP.

Awesome, we need more Camaros in STP! By the time you get around to prepping the car there should be more off-the-shelf ST parts for it...

apexit53 09-26-2017 09:41 AM

Yeah Koni is taking their sweet ass time with making shocks for this car. Ive always found it amazing when I have owned chevys how long it takes for companies to come out with parts compared to Japanese car makers. the brz i swear had coilovers out before the car was even out yet lol.

MoreSpeed 09-27-2017 10:53 AM

I went down to 19's with Forgeline wheels and RE71R's. This saved a measured 10 lbs per wheel/tire. I feel that I am significantly faster, and my ZL1 has better agility without that 40lbs of unsprung weight and the stickier rubber than the stock Goodyears. As they said above, the RE71R's heat up quicker as well which means more grip sooner.

jwisjw 10-01-2017 08:00 PM

Got a chance to test the Bridgestones RE71R 275 square on the car and they seem to have transformed the car. Though, I will say that this is the first time that the car has been on consistent concrete and the surface is really abrasive and probably need to rotate/flip the front and rears. Wish, the car turned in like my friends 1LE, was hoping the tire was going to do the trick.

Definitely fun using the throttle a lot this weekend. :) Will be doing a back to back at our El Toro surface shortly between the stock Goodyears and RE71R.

Car definitely puts a smile on my face after every run, even for stock.

9/30-10/1 Northern California - Crows Landing

Saturday Runs

F-Street 2017 Camaro Bridgestone RE71R w/ Alignment Jeff Saturday
F-Street 2017 Camaro Bridgestone RE71R w/ Alignment Nicole Saturday

Sunday Runs

F-Street 2017 Camaro Bridgestone RE71R w/ Alignment Jeff Sunday
F-Street 2017 Camaro Bridgestone RE71R w/ Alignment Nicole Sunday

apexit53 10-01-2017 08:30 PM

Sweet Jesus your car seems loud lol. I like it.

Next step would be a sway bar for sure. I’m sur it will help the turn in but with only the 8.5” wide wheels up front I think we are limited on turn in.

vtirocz 10-01-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreSpeed (Post 9920331)
I went down to 19's with Forgeline wheels and RE71R's. This saved a measured 10 lbs per wheel/tire. I feel that I am significantly faster, and my ZL1 has better agility without that 40lbs of unsprung weight and the stickier rubber than the stock Goodyears. As they said above, the RE71R's heat up quicker as well which means more grip sooner.

Can you provide more info on the 19" Forgeline wheels you went with (actual weight, dimensions & offset, cost)?

I'm interested how they compare to the stock SS 1LE and ZL1 wheels or even ZL1 1LE wheels.

Thanks.