CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Rear License Plate Mounting (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594876)

serper3 07-13-2021 05:17 PM

Rear License Plate Mounting

My rear license plate is only mounted by the top two screws and the small amount of movement has caused some wear on the bumper cover.

I want to avoid further damage, and add two screws on the bottom of the plate as well. I will polish the bumper cover to see how much that will help, and maybe get a license plate cover if needed.

I would like to get some new license plate screws (the factory screws look horrible) I am planning on finding some washers to slightly get the plate off the fender cover.

I know there are little pilot dimples on the bumper cover for the bottom screws. My question is, is there a clip/nut/something to retain the screws behind the cover at all the dimples, or what does the dealer do to get the screws tight?

Should I drill a small pilot hole or use the self tapping screws? I am leaning on using a small drill, but just want to confirm.

Any recommendations on a hardware set and/or a flat black frame to match the ZLE trim?

Thanks!

mosaic6 07-13-2021 05:20 PM

I had the same issue. My solution was to just get a black silicone rubber license plate holder. It's durable but soft & solves the problem for me.

serper3 07-13-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosaic6 (Post 11039358)
I had the same issue. My solution was to just get a black silicone rubber license plate holder. It's durable but soft & solves the problem for me.

Your holder is only attached with two screws still? Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Silicon...14708541&psc=1

mosaic6 07-13-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serper3 (Post 11039368)
Your holder is only attached with two screws still? Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Silicon...14708541&psc=1

Yes it's very similar to that one. The silicone is thick enough and fits the license plate very tightly so the top screws seem to be enough to keep it in place without movement.

Walkure 07-13-2021 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tripped over this bracket at Walmart a couple of years ago while shopping for something else. I haven’t seen anything I liked better.

serper3 07-13-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosaic6 (Post 11039370)
Yes it's very similar to that one. The silicone is thick enough and fits the license plate very tightly so the top screws seem to be enough to keep it in place without movement.

This is good to know. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkure (Post 11039375)
I tripped over this bracket at Walmart a couple of years ago while shopping for something else. I haven’t seen anything I liked better.

I think I would prefer the no frame look if I cant see the frame wear, but this frame looks awesome! I would consider not using the 4 holes if the frame is a 2 hole frame like this.

mosaic6 07-13-2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkure (Post 11039375)

The RedHot looks awesome!

sandm 07-13-2021 08:05 PM

food for thought.....

2 people have had plates stolen out of our parking lot in the last 1.5 months. we are in an industrial area that only has us and one other building working at night but well lit and cameras everywhere. both were taken around 11pm. vid of both being lifted but neither car had plates(duh) so no way to figure it out.

going to replace all of our personal license plate bolts this weekend with torx to make it a little harder. heard stories it's happening in other areas as well. both plates were std but heard some personalized are hotter targets....

f'n thieves!!

2SS Capt 07-13-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serper3 (Post 11039355)
My rear license plate is only mounted by the top two screws and the small amount of movement has caused some wear on the bumper cover.

I want to avoid further damage, and add two screws on the bottom of the plate as well. I will polish the bumper cover to see how much that will help, and maybe get a license plate cover if needed.

I would like to get some new license plate screws (the factory screws look horrible) I am planning on finding some washers to slightly get the plate off the fender cover.

I know there are little pilot dimples on the bumper cover for the bottom screws. My question is, is there a clip/nut/something to retain the screws behind the cover at all the dimples, or what does the dealer do to get the screws tight?

Should I drill a small pilot hole or use the self tapping screws? I am leaning on using a small drill, but just want to confirm.

Any recommendations on a hardware set and/or a flat black frame to match the ZLE trim?

Thanks!

I put these on all of my cars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

arpad_m 07-13-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS Capt (Post 11039466)

This, 100%. I curse myself for not buying this on day 1 and putting up with the frame that eventually scratched my paint.

serper3 07-14-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS Capt (Post 11039466)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 11039470)
This, 100%. I curse myself for not buying this on day 1 and putting up with the frame that eventually scratched my paint.

Do you guys have this mounted with all 4 screws or just 2? If just 2 did you remove the frame after some time to check if there is any scratching on the bumper cover?

Gunkk 07-14-2021 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by serper3 (Post 11039355)

Adhesive felt pads (furniture type) behind the plate keep it from scratching the paint.

Metal plate cover from Walmart and some FIFTY badges from Ebay completed the look.

If you want it to match the Mosaic Black Metallic trim, you'll need to get a spray can of GB8 WA834A from somewhere like this:
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ch.../buypaint.aspx

Jaxcam02 07-14-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 11039470)

This as well here, it mounts with all 4 screws (left off the little screw covers that come with it) and keeps everything stationary and protected

serper3 07-14-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunkk (Post 11039698)
Adhesive felt pads (furniture type) behind the plate keep it from scratching the paint.

Metal plate cover from Walmart and some FIFTY badges from Ebay completed the look.

If you want it to match the Mosaic Black Metallic trim, you'll need to get a spray can of GB8 WA834A from somewhere like this:
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ch.../buypaint.aspx

I would be concerned that wit the felt pads, if there is ANY movement, they would wear the clear. If the plate is attached with 4 screws it would not move obviously, but then I think I would rather use something else like nylon washers on all the screws to keep the plate off the clear.

I have a 1LE so I would need the flat black. Any idea what would match that if I go that route?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 (Post 11039741)
This as well here, it mounts with all 4 screws (left off the little screw covers that come with it) and keeps everything stationary and protected

Any experience with drilling the two additional holes? Just trying to get some more info on that.

I think I might just order this frame/cover anyway.

I might call or stop by the dealer and ask them about how they drill the two bottom holes as it sounds like everyone here had them done by the dealer.

EDIT: Just ordered it. Now just need to figure out the 2 bottom hole mounting process.