CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Getting at the Battery? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516465)

MJP 12-19-2017 04:22 AM

Getting at the Battery?

2018 1LE
How many push pins are there in the right rear quarter?
I've only found three...
What are you folks using for a tool to pop them out to get at the battery?
Is there anything special that I need to know?
How many pins are there?
How many pins to get at the the battery?

Soleil 12-19-2017 05:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi MJP,
There are 3 pins. One in the top, one on the side and one on the bottom. I use a Vigor V1369 Car Panel Release Tool Set to remove the pins. To remove the lining it is advisable to remove/loosen the back panel as well.
To remove the cover from the +terminal you have to push the noses left and right of the plastic cover and pull the cover towards you.

MJP 12-20-2017 04:04 AM

Thank you!

The positive side of the battery looks really messed up.

"To remove the cover from the +terminal you have to push the noses left and right of the plastic cover and pull the cover towards you".

I'm not sure what you mean by " push the noses ".

Do we have a common post battery in our 1LE's?

Thanks again,

Soleil 12-20-2017 11:04 AM

You push with your thumb and index finger the clips in and than you just pull the cover.
Sorry for my bad english.

Glen e 12-20-2017 11:07 AM

The USA poppers in this case are “ trees”. — meaning they have no release...the just need a good tug with a claw trim tool.....

Glen e 12-20-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJP (Post 10016271)
Thank you!

The positive side of the battery looks really messed up.

"To remove the cover from the +terminal you have to push the noses left and right of the plastic cover and pull the cover towards you".

I'm not sure what you mean by " push the noses ".

Do we have a common post battery in our 1LE's?

Thanks again,

A good chance you’ll break a tab getting off the cover. It’s there to protect the pos lead, however where it is, is protected anyway, I tossed mine....more overkill by the lawyers/accountants....

Soleil 12-20-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

....A good chance you’ll break a tab getting off the cover.
Why would you break a tab? You just push the tabs in and pull the cover out.

Glen e 12-20-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soleil (Post 10016647)
Why would you break a tab? You just push the tabs in and pull the cover out.

Good for you, I broke one.....

MJP 12-23-2017 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 10016633)
I tossed mine....more overkill by the lawyers/accountants....

No kidding... I bet the Lawyers said " we need a little extra to separate the - and + posts.
Danger Will Robinson.
Danger!

PinHead 01-01-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soleil (Post 10016619)
You push with your thumb and index finger the clips in and than you just pull the cover.
Sorry for my bad english.

Hi Soleil,

Some of us like Bad English...:confused0068:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_English

:offtopic:

PinHead 01-01-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 10016633)
A good chance you’ll break a tab getting off the cover. It’s there to protect the pos lead, however where it is, is protected anyway, I tossed mine....more overkill by the lawyers/accountants....

Not really Glen,

If you've ever seen some of the stuff floating around a car left by dumb people you'd understand the +pos term cover.(a metal Combo Wrench comes to mind)

I've seen a few in my younger years.

MJP 01-13-2018 01:36 PM

I finally connected my battery tender directly to the battery terminals.
Here I am waiting two weeks for a pair of push pin pliers that aren't even needed
to remove those threaded pins that go through the carpet into the body.
One of the tools shown in this thread is all you need.
Or, a flat head screwdriver.
Anyway,
I had to use two 25' extension leads at the terminals and was thinking I was gonna be to long and would lose current at the battery end.
Checking with a multimeter,,,
1.3 at the end of the line, 1.6 without any extension cords at all.
So, if you need the extra length connecting two 25' Deltran cords you'll be fine.
The battery came up to full charge in 16 hours while the car has been sitting in the garage since Oct 20.

TJay74 01-13-2018 02:18 PM

You do know that you can charge the battery from under the hood and dont have to move anything at all, right?

MJP 01-13-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJay74 (Post 10040844)
You do know that you can charge the battery from under the hood and dont have to move anything at all, right?

Yes, I've read that in a few places.
I wanted something a little more permanent and without having to use the alligator type clips when connecting to the front jumping posts.
Come fall, all I have to do is pop the small battery access panel in the trumk, and the BT plug is sittting right there.
Also, The trunk lid closes directly on the lead coming out of the trunk without worry of pinching.
Once the lid is closed I can tug lightly on the wire and she's free to move un restricted in between the rubber seal.