CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Roll Starting M6 (dead battery) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608290)

PMCamaro 08-08-2022 09:24 PM

Roll Starting M6 (dead battery)

Well I Googled Camaro6 for this and saw nothing. Case in Point--> Your battery is dead. Manual trans, You are on a hill (going down). Switch on. Can you pop the clutch in 2-3 and get started like the old days? I would try but it's put up waiting on coating.

donaldp 08-08-2022 10:07 PM

What is your point?

Nothing like an SS 08-09-2022 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCamaro (Post 11212135)
Well I Googled Camaro6 for this and saw nothing. Case in Point--> Your battery is dead. Manual trans, You are on a hill (going down). Switch on. Can you pop the clutch in 2-3 and get started like the old days? I would try but it's put up waiting on coating.

In a word, no. Electronics need to initiate before the engine can run. No power, no start, rolling or not.

SSDan 08-09-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS (Post 11212192)
In a word, no. Electronics need to initiate before the engine can run. No power, no start, rolling or not.

I agree. While I've never tried it on mine to be 100% certain - I believe the good old days are over for this. In the age of push button start and drive by wire throttle I just can't see this working.

ember1205 08-09-2022 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDan (Post 11212204)
I agree. While I've never tried it on mine to be 100% certain - I believe the good old days are over for this. In the age of push button start and drive by wire throttle I just can't see this working.

If you could get the engine turn and produce "just enough" power to activate the necessary pieces... maybe... just maybe... But, it would have to be a decent hill and you'd have to leave the clutch out for a bit of distance to get it to turn.

Even then... Who knows if it would be able to actually RUN. I've had my car misfire and refuse to actually run properly after sitting for a few weeks. It has taken as many as three start attempts to get it to catch correctly and run without stalling. And that was with a brand new battery.

ctrlz 08-09-2022 07:10 AM

There are a few vigorous discussions online on this topic.
The short answer is "maybe."

You need to be at the top of a long hill or be pushed for a while. You need alternator to produce adequate current to get things going (ECM, fuel pump, etc.). It may not be possible with a completely flat or damaged battery, as a weak battery which may not be able to crank the car can still power other things. You also need battery voltage at the alternator stator coils or alternator does nothing. Generators have magnets, alternators require current in the stator to provide the magnetic field.

As an aside, the repair manual for our car refers to the alternator as a generator, which is an horrendous oversight/error.

Osbornsm 08-09-2022 10:47 AM

I used to do it to my 370z all the time.

Bump started like a champ.

I don't see why the Camaro would be different. Just needs more hill due to increased mass and engine drag.

ctrlz 08-09-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osbornsm (Post 11212339)
Just needs more hill due to increased mass and engine drag.

I don't know Alabama. Do they have hills big enough to try this?
I'm kinda hoping this all theoretical talk, and OP would call AAA for a jump.

With all the electronics in modern cars, there tend to be warning signs when a battery is past its prime. The only people I know who have been caught out with a dead battery are the types that ignore all the signs and hope for the best. So, if you're that type, always park on top of a steep hill.

Callaway SC630 08-09-2022 11:05 AM

What about the "foot on the brake to start" issue?

Allez 08-09-2022 11:09 AM

Of course if this doesn't work you're gathering speed going downhill with no power brakes and no power steering. . .

ember1205 08-09-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callaway SC630 (Post 11212350)

My guess is that's only required to allow the starter to engage.

The bigger issue would seem to be that you'd need to get the car rolling, pop the clutch, then hit the 'start' button to allow everything to power up, then "hope" that there's enough juice to allow fuel pressure and spark...

ember1205 08-09-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allez (Post 11212352)
Of course if this doesn't work you're gathering speed going downhill with no power brakes and no power steering. . .

But -with- engine braking. Toss up?

ZED SLED 08-09-2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callaway SC630 (Post 11212350)

that's just for the auto driver nanny.

Nothing like an SS 08-09-2022 11:45 AM

No power, the fuel pump will not even prime. No power to ECM, etc. Debate all you like, it can't be done, engine will not fire, and you will not have much in the way of brakes or steering while attempting, so good luck at the bottom of that very steep hill!

If you really want to try it, good luck!