CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   No Homelink for Garage Door on 2020 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563810)

Fun 10-17-2019 07:30 AM

No Homelink for Garage Door on 2020

So there is No Homelink for Garage Door on 2020 ? What do people do carry a remote like its 1980 again :( Thanks

Petrol Head 10-17-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fun (Post 10642321)
So there is No Homelink for Garage Door on 2020 ? What do people do carry a remote like its 1980 again :( Thanks

Yeah they stupidly removed it for 2019 in favor of the rear camera rear view mirror. That's not a feature that really excites me. I've been doing some homework just to get an idea as to exactly why they did this and apparently there's not enough room in the overhead console wiring for everything especially if you get the sunroof, so something had to go when they brought out the rear view camera mirror, and it was decided Homelink isn't that important. They put the OnStar buttons where the Homelink was on the 2016-18 models. They could have made a rear view camera mirror with Homelink integrated into it and the buttons on the frame of the mirror like a lot of other cars.

I agree with you, it is definitely an important feature. It's been around 20+ years and eliminates the need to carry your garage door opener clipped to your visor. Who wouldn't appreciate that? Also, the excuse is that you can get your cell phone to operate your garage door opener...... why should I spend $500+ for a new garage door opener just to get wi-fi if my garage door opener works perfectly now and isn't that old?

What I think I am going to do is get the overhead console and Homelink module for the 2016-18 and remove the OnStar buttons - I'm getting rid of OnStar all together anyways, removing the transponder radio from under the dash so it's completely non-operational.

oftenimitated 10-17-2019 09:05 AM

get the garagemate app and device. $50 and works through Bluetooth on your phone. I love it. No need to buy new garage door opener, simple plug n play

arpad_m 10-17-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oftenimitated (Post 10642371)
get the garagemate app and device. $50 and works through Bluetooth on your phone. I love it. No need to buy new garage door opener, simple plug n play

There are workarounds, but nothing beats the ease and elegance of pushing an integrated (!) physical (!!) button when arriving home, instead of having to fish out the phone and fumble with a touch screen. Plus in my case it's typically a left turn, so I have to watch out for traffic, too.

Jaxcam02 10-22-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 10642568)
There are workarounds, but nothing beats the ease and elegance of pushing an integrated (!) physical (!!) button when arriving home, instead of having to fish out the phone and fumble with a touch screen. Plus in my case it's typically a left turn, so I have to watch out for traffic, too.

I totally feel ya on that. In my truck its not a big deal, i keep the remote in the sunglasses compartment. In the Camaro, there is no where to put it that is conveinient. Now i'm rolling with the Liftmaster MyQ app and wifi communicator. Its nice to have but fumbling for the app on my cell phone is a pain. Thankfully I bought a 2018 instead of the 19, my first thing is to do the gen5 diy homelink mod.

RideWithDanger 10-24-2019 08:31 AM

My 2019 3LT doesnt have it AND it doesnt have the rear view camera mirror. Pretty stupid.

MadHead 05-14-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oftenimitated (Post 10642371)

Hi man, can you send me a DM, can't find the app you were talking about? Will it work with Chamberlain? I purchased one here, and can not figure out how to program it with homelink

vtirocz 05-14-2020 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fun (Post 10642321)

Yes! I put mine right here and it's completely out of the way.

Fire260 05-14-2020 04:17 PM

I just took a overhead console out of a 2018 with Homelink, i took out the passenger airbag light out of my console, installed in the new console "with a little work" as for the OnStar buttons being remove, on my car i still have them on the radios touchscreen so no big deal, I dont use OnStar anyways.
But if you dont want to do that, I believe the guys at Gen5DIY are working on one that keeps everything stock with Homelink for 2019+ cars, so give them a call.

Zr8000 05-14-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire260 (Post 10789894)
I just took a overhead console out of a 2018 with Homelink, i took out the passenger airbag light out of my console, installed in the new console "with a little work" as for the OnStar buttons being remove, on my car i still have them on the radios touchscreen so no big deal, I dont use OnStar anyways.
But if you dont want to do that, I believe the guys at Gen5DIY are working on one that keeps everything stock with Homelink for 2019+ cars, so give them a call.

How hard is that air bag light to remove? That is the only thing I hate about my car. It’s annoying at night.

Fire260 05-14-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zr8000 (Post 10790118)
How hard is that air bag light to remove? That is the only thing I hate about my car. It’s annoying at night.

Just pull down the console and unplug it. Not hard at all.

SS_Don 03-02-2022 07:27 PM

I realize the last post was a few years ago but does anyone have any recommendations for adding home link to a 2022 Camaro SS?

arpad_m 03-02-2022 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SS_Don (Post 11140763)
I realize the last post was a few years ago but does anyone have any recommendations for adding home link to a 2022 Camaro SS?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A79G9FY

...or a garage door opener with wifi/cloud connectivity, plus an app on your phone (not what I'd do though).

SS_Don 03-02-2022 10:26 PM

Thanks!