CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Caliper failure ruined track day (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553739)

NickyRacerBoy 05-04-2019 08:46 AM

Caliper failure ruined track day

:doh:

Driver front caliper hanging up.
Found this out coming hot into the tightest turn at NJMP Lightning course. Hit braking point as I normally do and tire went up in smoke.
Obviously made my appex all wrong.
Came into pits and pulled off to find brake dragging. I manually backed off pads then pumped brakes to have it still drag. Tested passenger side to see if they acted the same but they released.

Has anyone else had issues?

Racing Brakes has upgraded rebuild kit, pricey though

TrackClub 05-04-2019 11:30 AM

This is an OEM caliper with DBA discs and OEM hat and what size pads?

thescreensavers 05-04-2019 11:38 AM

Need more info

What pads? How thick where your pads before the track day?

Did the Piston come out?

Scargoes 05-04-2019 12:40 PM

Did you ever let the caliper hang by the hose? Or did the hose get twisted or pinched at some point? On another vehicle I've had the hose come apart inside and cause a flap of rubber to block the fluid flow when releasing pressure on the brakes.

NickyRacerBoy 05-04-2019 06:45 PM

New DBA new DTC70 Castrol fluid.
So the ruined event was actually the second event on them. The first day was 2 weeks prior and ambient temps were 46. My initial thought they didnt see enough temps but they must have as I went 1.26 at Thunderbolt which isnt any record by any means but not a turd either.
Yes when I did installation I had mechanics wire supporting caliper. One thing I did notice is after I had tires rebalanced the car was pulling to the left. I calked that up to rubber built up on tire..or at least that is w hff at I was hoping

TrackClub 05-04-2019 06:51 PM

Oem hats? I suspect dtc70s run quite a bit on a hot side? Maybe something got fried? Sorry no concrete clues from me. Hope you'll solve it quickly after finding a root cause. Brake issues are a real bummer - obviously!
All the best!

NickyRacerBoy 05-04-2019 06:51 PM

Yes OEM hat

NickyRacerBoy 05-04-2019 06:53 PM

Yes dust seals look like fried pig skins at local truck stop

NickyRacerBoy 05-04-2019 06:54 PM

https://www.racingbrake.com/Save-10-...p/bz-61bsp.htm

NickyRacerBoy 05-04-2019 07:04 PM

Does brembo make their "racing series calipers " t.f hst will still keep stock rotors? I'd imagine no as offset is probably different.

driven2exceSS 05-04-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy (Post 10509909)

Are you going with the upgraded blue dust seals? I am curious on how they hold up compared to the OE. I had just done a complete caliper rebuild after recently adding some brake duct venting, and have already started cooking/smoking presumably the dust seals again. I think more brake cooling or bigger brakes are needed in my case. Actually a nice new ZLE would fix A LOT!!!! Haha :nod: If you end up using this RB kit Lmk how it holds up for ya!!!

NickyRacerBoy 05-04-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driven2exceSS (Post 10509958)
Are you going with the upgraded blue dust seals? I am curious on how they hold up compared to the OE. I had just done a complete caliper rebuild after recently adding some brake duct venting, and have already started cooking/smoking presumably the dust seals again. I think more brake cooling or bigger brakes are needed in my case. Actually a nice new ZLE would fix A LOT!!!! Haha :nod: If you end up using this RB kit Lmk how it holds up for ya!!!

Yes definitely.
I think better choice would be "real" Brembos or AP as those zl1 are super heavy.

RUQWIKR 05-04-2019 10:35 PM

The J57 front calipers (same caliper as the J6H ZL1) uses vented pistons but with the same dust seals. So, the vented calipers do a lot to keep the heat off the dust seals.

TrackClub 05-04-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy (Post 10509907)
Yes dust seals look like fried pig skins at local truck stop

Crispy :)

Bottom line high torque pads bring on the heat and even the best calipers need regular rebuilds. Ran Essex AP kit (very nice but very pricey) on my Vette and they needed work every 2 seasons. So dont expect miracles should you decide to empty your wallet :)

PS my stockers look like brand new but then again i run stock Ferodos...