CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Thoughts on the Mid Engine C8 pushing some buyers to the Camaro. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558727)

Artos 07-20-2019 03:48 PM

Thoughts on the Mid Engine C8 pushing some buyers to the Camaro.

I don't do any true social media so I have somewhat limited exposure besides here, but do attend a couple other forums related to firearms & hunting...both have a couple of threads on the new C8 & there is some chatter of vette owners preferring the traditional front engine platform, along with losing the vette lines & not taking a liking to the C8.

I understand looks are subjective but if a percentage of prospective vette buyers fall into this category that it may be a push for Camaro sales in the SS, ZL1 & 1LE...if GM is indeed looking at canning the Camaro once again & then see an uptick in 2020 plus sales?? Anyway, just got me thinking about the Camaro in general & the total fail by GM after engineering such a wonderful vehicle that outperforms the competition and yet not support it successfully on the backend with any sort of marketing plan & what other members opinions are in regards to future sales for the next 2-3 years & the Gen7's future.

Memphis SS 07-20-2019 03:59 PM

I think the new C8 will out sell the C7 by a large margin. Once it hits the lots people will love the super car look and performance for under $60,000. I’m afraid it will hurt Camaro sales in some ways. I’m thinking about going back to a Corvette myself.

Yanniz 07-20-2019 04:10 PM

The C8 Corvette, will not only hurt Camaro sales, but many others. It’s going to be a fantastic car

SPARTAN sui 07-20-2019 04:38 PM

I absolutely love the the design of the C8 and if I had a choice I'd like to keep my Camaro and finance a C8. I also want a nice big garage, so we'll see what happens in the next few years. I'm hoping I can find a used C8 in a few years with low miles for a bargain price.

Grumpy1 07-20-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yanniz (Post 10576718)
The C8 Corvette, will not only hurt Camaro sales, but many others.

Very True!!!!
A car of this nature at that price point.
Of course it'll be higher than the 60k depending on options, but where else are you going to get a mid-engine for amount of money.
If the comfort, reliability and performance aspects are proven I'll be in the market for one.

z28pat 07-20-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yanniz (Post 10576718)
The C8 Corvette, will not only hurt Camaro sales, but many others. It’s going to be a fantastic car

Seems like a great value at $60k when you compare it to a zl1 and the performance should surpass it

redcoats1976 07-20-2019 05:59 PM

the looks/performance of the C8 might also have the opposite effect if you dont need 4 seats.an SS for 50k isnt going to look great next to the base vette for 60k.

Sev 07-20-2019 06:39 PM

The only thing that would push potential C8 buyers to a Gen 6 is the fact the C8 is only available (currently) in a DCT automatic. Outside of that, I don't see many C8 potentials drifting to the Camaro.

Gen6_1Le 07-20-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28pat (Post 10576772)
Seems like a great value at $60k when you compare it to a zl1 and the performance should surpass it

I think the Z51 will surpass the ZL1 but you won't be getting it at $60k ,maybe $72k . I think at under $60k won't even get you a spoiler on the back of the Stingray. I haven't seen the 0 to 60 on the non Z51 Stingray yet but i would bet its not far off the ZL1 . Wait till the higher performance models come out and see where they are priced .

Road_Warrior85 07-20-2019 06:59 PM

Corvette buyers weren't getting Camaros before... and they aren't going to start now.

Will there be some that are stuck on having a stick shift that opt to get a Camaro instead? I"m gonna go with NO. Not with the Camaro supposedly dying soon. They'd take one of the actual Corvette competitors instead.

Are Camaro buyers going to jump to Corvette?
Not really.

There's 2 reasons people that want a Corvette buy a Camaro instead.
1. To have back seats
2. The Corvette costs too much for them.

Neither of those will change with the C8.

The C8 will steal sales from it's competitors, and the amount it steals from the Camaro will be too small to even be noteworthy.... Much like the amount of Corvette buyers that are going to opt for a Camaro instead..... and those that do, would likely be going for the ZL1 rather than the regular SS or SS 1LE

KarFan 07-20-2019 07:00 PM

It's becoming a bit more clear why GM either has the Camaro on hiatus, delayed or dropped after 2023. With the C8 priced right in the ZL1, GT350/500, Hellcat range and yet offers something well above any of their performance capabilities, it's going to pull in a lot of those current owners/shoppers. And that's before the C8 gets into performance models and electric hybrid that is certain to come.

We've said for a while the Camaro needs to head downmarket a bit. Its gonna need to offer sporty 2+2 RWD/AWD packaging but priced for the masses. Current LT1 model needs to be where the SS should be priced and may be to top model. There is a market but it's shrinking and Mustang isn't going anywhere.

craigss50 07-20-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 (Post 10576807)
Corvette buyers weren't getting Camaros before... and they aren't going to start now.

Will there be some that are stuck on having a stick shift that opt to get a Camaro instead? I"m gonna go with NO. Not with the Camaro supposedly dying soon. They'd take one of the actual Corvette competitors instead.

Not really.

1. To have back seats

The C8 will steal sales from it's competitors, and the amount it steals from the Camaro will be too small to even be noteworthy.... Much like the amount of Corvette buyers that are going to opt for a Camaro instead..... and those that do, would likely be going for the ZL1 rather than the regular SS or SS 1LE

Not necessarily. I went to trade in my 2004 C5 for a 2017 Grand Sport and they had this beautiful 2 SS Fifty Convertible on the showroom floor. I liked it better than the Vette as it had the same engine/trans and the Vette did not have blind spot or cross traffic available on any model. Money was not the deciding factor. I bought that Fifty Vert and love it. Plus I no longer have to worry about hitting front curbs on the like I did in my Vette. I don't regret my choice at all.

parish8 07-20-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 (Post 10576807)

Not really.

1. To have back seats

I really like my camaro but my next car will be a c8. I have never seriously considered a corvette before.

DrkPhx 07-20-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarFan (Post 10576809)
It's becoming a bit more clear why GM either has the Camaro on hiatus, delayed or dropped after 2023. With the C8 priced right in the ZL1, GT350/500, Hellcat range and yet offers something well above any of their performance capabilities, it's going to pull in a lot of those current owners/shoppers. And that's before the C8 gets into performance models and electric hybrid that is certain to come.

We've said for a while the Camaro needs to head downmarket a bit. Its gonna need to offer sporty 2+2 RWD/AWD packaging but priced for the masses. Current LT1 model needs to be where the SS should be priced and may be to top model. There is a market but it's shrinking and Mustang isn't going anywhere.

Exactly right. I wonder if that's why GM changed the tail lights on the 19 and 20 Camaro because of the inevitable comparisons to the C8? I recently rented a 2019 Camaro SS with the A10 trans and loved it, so I priced one out and the price easily went over $50k. Now with the C8 coming out at such a low price with great performance, I'm seriously looking at a C8 in the next few years.