CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   2016 Camaro versus 2015 Mustang - on spreadsheets (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295155)

BubbaSS 05-13-2013 07:47 PM

Good point!

shaffe 05-14-2013 10:18 AM

Very well written and very informative based on whats out there.

Only thing I noticed was the way you wrote it in the blog you made it sound as if Ford did nothing to the Mustang engine from 1996 to 2011, which is untrue.

the SN-95 mustangs in 96-97 used a 4.6 2V rated at 215HP, this was then revised in 98 to bump it to and impressive 225 lol.

in 1999 with the "New Edge" refresh the 4.6 2V was revised again to see an increase to 260HP. The way its written in the blog makes it seem as if Ford continued to use this 4.6 from 1996 to 2011 before the 5.0

The 2005 Mustang saw the introduction of the 3V 4.6 wich was rated at 300HP. When the resfresh happened the 3V was increased to 315HP. Then in 2011 the 5.0 was released at 412 then raised to 420.

You predicted that Ford will add direct injection and some tweaking to the 5.0 and increase HP for teh next gen which looking at their history is pretty much spot on.

jwfisher 05-14-2013 10:37 AM

Thanks for the complement! We'll know a heckuva lot more once we get a good spy pic and see what general size the car is becoming. I expect there is a chopped-up ATS in 2-foor form somewhere inside GM HQ, with some big flares tacked on, that is serving as a mule for the next-gen. And if there isn't, there needs to be later this year if the 2016 date is to be made.

All the 4.6 engines are essentially the same... in my mind they were behind the curve of the market and of what could have been done (there are similar V-8s from European and Japanese manufacturers, for example, that were moving steadily along at a faster pace). The truck 4.6 was especially behind the times. Even the cop car 4.6 kept to a very low output. The complete replacement with the 5.0 was overdue, a job well done. So something was wrong there, maybe a program that advanced and was then cancelled (as was the big block BOSS program, then restarted but only with a truck SOHC engine and not the Mustang DOHC 7 liter), either lack of leadership and or lack of funds. Certainly not engineering ability.

shaffe 05-14-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwfisher (Post 6542109)
Thanks for the complement! We'll know a heckuva lot more once we get a good spy pic and see what general size the car is becoming. I expect there is a chopped-up ATS in 2-foor form somewhere inside GM HQ, with some big flares tacked on, that is serving as a mule for the next-gen. And if there isn't, there needs to be later this year if the 2016 date is to be made.

All the 4.6 engines are essentially the same... in my mind they were behind the curve of the market and of what could have been done (there are similar V-8s from European and Japanese manufacturers, for example, that were moving steadily along at a faster pace). The truck 4.6 was especially behind the times. Even the cop car 4.6 kept to a very low output. The complete replacement with the 5.0 was overdue, a job well done. So something was wrong there, maybe a program that advanced and was then cancelled (as was the big block BOSS program, then restarted but only with a truck SOHC engine and not the Mustang DOHC 7 liter), either lack of leadership and or lack of funds. Certainly not engineering ability.

I agree they were basically the same from 96-98 but the heads and intake and some other stuff changed, the 3V was pretty different as well, But either way thats nit picking lol. I was simply just saying the way it read to me, made it seem as if you were suggesting that Ford did nothing engine wise from 96 to 2011. Thats all.

But seriously these are great blogs. Very informative and pretty much spot on

jwfisher 05-14-2013 10:50 AM

I might be a little cynical about them... I expected more progress. The 300HP 3-valve was still 100+ HP behind the base V-8 in the Camaro when it came out a few years later. And most 4.6s have over-heating issues if driven aggressively on the track... it took Ford all the way until the Boss302 to build a car that would survive an aggressive 30 minutes on track. Even Ford's own Ford GT blew it's coolant repeatedly at Ford's own SVT on-track events. No excuse for that (I was there, and their own engineers complained about how they had even rebuilt the entire system and it still didnt' work).

But, back to Camaros. Can we get this thread made sticky so that I can keep it updated as we start to find out more information in the coming year?

shaffe 05-14-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwfisher (Post 6542168)
I might be a little cynical about them... I expected more progress. The 300HP 3-valve was still 100+ HP behind the base V-8 in the Camaro when it came out a few years later. And most 4.6s have over-heating issues if driven aggressively on the track... it took Ford all the way until the Boss302 to build a car that would survive an aggressive 30 minutes on track. Even Ford's own Ford GT blew it's coolant repeatedly at Ford's own SVT on-track events. No excuse for that (I was there, and their own engineers complained about how they had even rebuilt the entire system and it still didnt' work).

But, back to Camaros. Can we get this thread made sticky so that I can keep it updated as we start to find out more information in the coming year?

True but the 3v was 4 years old by the time the camaro came out, next model year they responded.

But back on topic keep up the good work