CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   New owner, exhaust question (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544165)

HyperBlue17 12-11-2018 09:31 PM

New owner, exhaust question

Just picked up a mostly stock 2017 SS M6. The only upgrade is hooker axle back exhaust, non-npp, that came on the car. I love the sound except for the dreaded drone from about 75 to 85 in 6th gear. When I drop it down to 5th it is so much better.

I’ve listened to a few sound clips and I am trying to decide between the Borla ATAK and Flowmaster Outlaw.

Looking for a bit of advice before I make a purchase.

Thanks

Opus13 12-12-2018 01:37 AM

I have a Borla ATAK and there's no drone. It's actually more mello than I expected when just cruising down the highway at 70 - 75.

USAFS197 12-12-2018 04:04 AM

I have/had the Flowmaster exhaust on my car. It sounds amazing and is very, very deep. But, you will inherently get drone but, the drone is tolerable. In my personal opinion, if you don’t have NPP, I would look at either Corsa or AWE. They both make exhaust options that do not drone.

6spdhyperblue 12-12-2018 05:49 AM

Is flowmaster and hooker related?

staples87 12-12-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperBlue17 (Post 10382420)
Just picked up a mostly stock 2017 SS M6. The only upgrade is hooker axle back exhaust, non-npp, that came on the car. I love the sound except for the dreaded drone from about 75 to 85 in 6th gear. When I drop it down to 5th it is so much better.

I’ve listened to a few sound clips and I am trying to decide between the Borla ATAK and Flowmaster Outlaw.

Looking for a bit of advice before I make a purchase.

Thanks

The Flowmaster Outlaw will be deep, but it's going to drone a lot. If that's a concern of yours then I would not look into that exhaust as an option.

NPP is a cool concept but between the valve rattle and change in tone consistently (from the valves opening and closing), it kind of gets annoying, having to go into the options to change it. I rather control the volume with my foot.

Josh/AWE 12-12-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staples87 (Post 10382751)
NPP is a cool concept but between the valve rattle and change in tone consistently (from the valves opening and closing), it kind of gets annoying, having to go into the options to change it. I rather control the volume with my foot.

Kudos to you, Staples. You get it!

OP, may I suggest you look into our Touring Edition Catback? Comes as non-resonated or resonated. Radical in either form.

Umbriel 12-12-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh/AWE (Post 10382900)

OP, may I suggest you look into our Touring Edition Catback? Comes as non-resonated or resonated. Radical in either form.

Just out of curiosity, as it pertains to the resonated and non resonated cat back how much volume does the resonators cut out and does it change the tone? I am waiting on your holiday sale to purchase and was going to ask you when the sale started before buying but now seems just as good a time as any. I am mostly worried about cold starts early in the morning, any other time it can be as loud as it wants.

EddieL3 12-12-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umbriel (Post 10382930)
Just out of curiosity, as it pertains to the resonated and non resonated cat back how much volume does the resonators cut out and does it change the tone? I am waiting on your holiday sale to purchase and was going to ask you when the sale started before buying but now seems just as good a time as any. I am mostly worried about cold starts early in the morning, any other time it can be as loud as it wants.

I’m curious about this myself. I purchased an AWE resonated touring catback with the performance link pipes. Unfortunately I can’t install it until the spring. I haven’t heard one on the internet yet. The suspense is killing me.

HyperBlue17 12-12-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh/AWE (Post 10382900)

Josh,

The first time I visited your site I didn’t see the videos. The cockpit mounted camera and mic was very helpful. This is what I am looking for.

Thanks

bpang1234 12-12-2018 07:04 PM

I can personally recommend the Borla and AWE exhausts in terms of not having drone.

I have counted on both companies' products for years now and their engineering is top notch.

I have the Borla and am 100% happy with it.

AWE's product was not available when I was getting my exhaust but I had a 2015 Audi S4 with their product and it was highly effective at muffling any drone during cruising.

HyperBlue17 12-12-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpang1234 (Post 10383165)
I can personally recommend the Borla and AWE exhausts in terms of not having drone.

I have counted on both companies' products for years now and their engineering is top notch.

I have the Borla and am 100% happy with it.

AWE's product was not available when I was getting my exhaust but I had a 2015 Audi S4 with their product and it was highly effective at muffling any drone during cruising.

Thank you

JBones81 12-15-2018 02:00 PM

i'm running the hurst exhaust with dual mode and I have no issues

franksredhot 12-17-2018 06:35 PM

I'm not too familiar with the Hooker exhaust but you should check how it's laid out in comparison to Borla and Flowmaster. I don't think they all bolt on at the same exact location. Borla uses much of the stock piping and your system might have been cut in farther upstream. If that's the case you might need some custom piping.

HyperBlue17 12-17-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franksredhot (Post 10387190)
I'm not too familiar with the Hooker exhaust but you should check how it's laid out in comparison to Borla and Flowmaster. I don't think they all bolt on at the same exact location. Borla uses much of the stock piping and your system might have been cut in farther upstream. If that's the case you might need some custom piping.

I wondered about this too. I rolled the dice and bought a used set of mufflers off FB. I figure if they don’t work out I can relist them.