CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Europe (Continental) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=305)
-   -   Hello from the UK! (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556282)

Gary H 06-12-2019 09:35 AM

Hello from the UK!

5 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd officially introduce myself!
My journey for a ZL1 started almost two years ago as a replacement to an HSV R8 Clubsport I'd owned and loved for 8 years. Similar to the Pontiac G8, but with a supercharged LS2 pushing 700bhp - and the most heavily modified one outside of Australia.
So during my ownership, nothing came along that floated my boat enough to change - 911 Turbo, GTR, Charger Hellcat...until I saw the ZL1 :)
So the rest, as they is say history.
The challenges however, were immense:
-Chevy don't and won't sell the ZL1 in the UK (and in fact by the end of the year won't be selling any V8's)
-Chevy US wont sell a non U.S resident without a U.S address a new one.
-The majority of dealers won't and aren't set up for Export sales.
-Buying privately is fraught with risks
-There is no warranty once it leaves the Country.

If you can get passed that (!) there's the additional costs to consider: getting it to a port, clearing customs, maritime insurance, unloading, paying 30%(!!) duty and Tax, making it compliant with UK road laws...and then finally it's in my Garage. So as you can tell, some proper commitment to get it here - and then getting used to driving on the 'wrong' side :)

Anyway, to cut a longer story short, it's on it's way and it's ticked all my boxes:
2018 (must have the low washer level indicator :D) Mosaic black, carbon hood, sunroof and PDR.
Mods have already started, so coming with the car will be:
1LE grill (dive planes are here already, but debating how they'd look with a standard ZL1 splitter)
Helix smoked LED rear lights with switchable sequential amber indicators
Rotofab intake
Tony Mamo throttlebody
ACS rockguards
Curb Alert
Weathertec mats
carbon dash and gear surround....the list goes on and on :)

Once here, I'll look at an Interchiller, headers, pulley, cam and tune.
Should be on a Boat next week and landed end of first week July.
Getting properly excited now!

arpad_m 06-12-2019 12:28 PM

Mate, this is some serious commitment :respekt:. Congratulations in advance on the beast, may you enjoy it to the fullest in its current form and then mod to your heart's content after a painless delivery.

I don't even dare ask about overall cost, heh. Your car will definitely be a spectacle on the London tarmac.

MakCamaro 06-13-2019 02:48 AM

Hey Gary. I bought my SS a couple of weeks ago from the Virginia Water dealer in London. Mine is a mosaic black A8. We are building a small group in London (currently it’s a group of just two people, lol!). Feel free to join us if you want. We were both Mustang owners until recently, but I cannot even start to describe how much better the Camaro is! It’s more of a car for sure! Wish the Camaro community was as active as the Mustang one.

Anyway, feel free to PM me here if you would like to join the “gang” as soon as you receive the car.

Congratulations on the ZL1!

Deputy347k9 06-13-2019 06:20 AM

Gary... Welcome to the Forum! I give credit to your determination as most would say to heck with it. I think I can actually feel a little of your anticipation on her upcoming arrival. Pictures of her arrival in UK would be fantastic! Wishing you the very best. Larry

Gary H 06-13-2019 12:33 PM

Thank you - yes, being my second largest purchase ever (after my House) but a helluva lot more nerves!
It's on a trailer as we speak, heading from NC to Florida, where'll it'll be loaded on to a ship next Friday!

arpad_m 06-13-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary H (Post 10543706)
Thank you - yes, being my second largest purchase ever (after my House) but a helluva lot more nerves!
It's on a trailer as we speak, heading from NC to Florida, where'll it'll be loaded on to a ship next Friday!

Oh, I do understand the anticipation, waited 7 weeks after placing the order for the dealer to finally call me. You will be absolutely amazed by this car, feeling like the favored kid on his birthday :)

emme10 06-14-2019 03:32 PM

Nice. Congratulations on your ZL1. It will be a fun summer driving it all day long.

Gary H 06-14-2019 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you!

So it got delivered to my Agent today and really is in incredible condition - it has been looked after.
Almost tempted to jump on a plane and go see it :D

MakCamaro 06-15-2019 01:40 AM

Fantastic!

Hazzy 06-18-2019 01:28 PM

Hi Gary

Glad to see you went for it. I see that you found buying new from US dealers difficult. I think it conflicts with their dealer contract (and GM will find out) so its hard to find any that will do it. Nearly new however is a diiferent story. Challenging of course as you have no doubt found out but very very satisfying.

I brought 3 Mustangs in over the years. Few nervous moments with dealers reluctant to release the Title... but in the end all 3 made it safe and sound

Interesting to see some others on this site that have jumped from Mustang ownership too. I have done the same and I agree the Camaro does feel a better car in so many respects

I also need a Left hand drive (car mostly used to tour Europe). If I had imported a Left hand drive Mustang who would have wanted it come time to sell!!!

So I Have come over to the dark side with Camaro ownership. No regrets

Visibility parking in multi storey car parks not its strong suite tho lol

Camaro is a rare car already over here. The ZL1 even more so.

Really good choice in my opinion. Enjoy

MakCamaro 06-18-2019 02:39 PM

It’s funny how we all ex-Mustang owners use this phrase when we sell our Stangs and buy a Camaro: We all jumped to the dark side, lol!

Deputy347k9 06-18-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary H (Post 10544857)
Thank you!

So it got delivered to my Agent today and really is in incredible condition - it has been looked after.
Almost tempted to jump on a plane and go see it :D

OK, what's the status now? Is she riding the waves yet?

Gary H 06-18-2019 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL, not quite. So a few mods to the car before shipping - it now has Helix rear lights with sequential amber flashers, as needed for the UK test before registration. I have a third smoked brake light as well, but will fit that after the test, as the original will be wired up as foglight for the test. Looking to get it to the port over the weekend, and then sails out of Miami 1st July. Hoping to get it out before the 4th July weekend as that will inevitably delay it further

Deputy347k9 06-18-2019 09:16 PM

I am sure you will post a picture of her when she arrives the pier and is being unloaded! Exciting!