CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Pioneer Radio head unit receiver swap from IOB 7" system (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587676)

StPeteHyper2.0 01-27-2021 02:37 PM

Pioneer Radio head unit receiver swap from IOB 7" system

10 Attachment(s)
This is a nice upgrade for base model 7" IOB radio system

Anyone that has swapped car audio before can handle this easily. Swapping the touchscreen display and dash kit is just taking it apart and putting back together. The extension cable can be fed thru the dash down to the passenger floor board. Tuck away the unused stock harness. As for the radio module, it is accessible from under the glove compartment. (4) 7mm screws unmount module pan from the bottom and pull the panel off the side of the dash to access the radio module bracket. All of it will drop down to the floor board and be easy to work with. Only wiring connections to be made are from the PAC module to the pioneer radio harness. Also wire in a parking brake micro pulse bypass to the radio. The PAC harness plugs into the stock radio harness and that's it. Plug in other items (USB, XM, Aux) connections. Follow PAC and Pioneer install directions for wiring. The Pioneer radio receiver fits where the stock radio is pulled from the bracket and can be reinstalled back in the same place. There's a lot of wiring that needs to be zip tied and plenty of space for the harnesses to tuck up in the dash. Screw the bottom pan piece back and reattach the side dash panel and you're good to go. Side note.. the parking brake bypass allows video and certain features to be used while driving. Back up camera is also visible while driving.

Specs:
Pioneer DMH-c5500nex
Metra 108-GM3B dash kit

Other options:
Pioneer DMH-c2000nex / c2500nex
Metra 107-GM3B

Pioneer CD-RGB150E extension cable
PAC RP5-GM51 compatibility module
PAC RP5-GM52 harness for '16+ vehicles

SXV300 for xm connection to receiver.

Axxess AXUSB-GM6 for usb and aux to the console. (There may be usb and aux adapters, but I didn't try them)

Parking Brake bypass micro pulse

brazencpl 02-01-2021 10:44 AM

Thanks for the post. Looks good - did you add amp, new speakers, sub?

headgamez 02-01-2021 09:12 PM

Looks really good there man!!!

ste6000 02-01-2021 09:19 PM

i like it. nice upgrade if you dont have the 8" screen for sure! does your model have android auto/apple carplay?

17rsvert 02-01-2021 10:15 PM

What happens to the functionality of all the car's non-audio touch screen settings?

StPeteHyper2.0 02-02-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brazencpl (Post 10947592)
Thanks for the post. Looks good - did you add amp, new speakers, sub?

Yes. I've swapped out stock speakers to Tweeters in the dash, 6x9 component in the doors, 6.5 component rear side panels. Tapped off trunk amp with subth*mp harness to lc2i, added 2 mid range to rear deck off a 4 channel amp and 2 subs off a mono amp. I did all this a couple years ago, so I'll re wire it all again eventually since the head unit has a sub output.

StPeteHyper2.0 02-02-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17rsvert (Post 10948011)
What happens to the functionality of all the car's non-audio touch screen settings?

The 7" IOB doesn't have many options to begin with. Which is why it is better for base model and not the 8" upgraded versions. It says to set your functions before removing and replaces as some things don't migrate over. But there isn't much for the base model anyway. But I'd say that this is the start of new technology for head unit upgrades and hopefully more features will become available thru the head units and the module harnesses that become available. Pioneer is only available unit right now so expect competition and firmware updates. Idatalink maestro hasn't even touch our system yet and I'll think they are capable of creating compatibility modules for everyone. The market will catch up eventually.

StPeteHyper2.0 02-02-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ste6000 (Post 10947990)
i like it. nice upgrade if you dont have the 8" screen for sure! does your model have android auto/apple carplay?

It did have Android and Apple. My phone didn't want to link to it tho and this new unit has it also. My phone still has trouble using android auto for some reason. I guess it is a phone setting issue at this point. Not sure but it should work and also can use weblink app to connect which allows YouTube videos to play

Oramac2016 02-02-2021 05:45 PM

Niceeee. I guess this is what many have been waiting for. Great write up.

BrandanK 02-02-2021 06:27 PM

Wow. That looks great.
Usually I’m not a fan of aftermarket radios, but that fits in very well.

Brandan

StPeteHyper2.0 02-02-2021 11:04 PM

Hoping it will help some people. I know a couple others who upgraded their radios but had a shop do it. I'm not that detailed but really it is pretty simple for anyone that's done radio swaps before. Happy the aftermarket is catching up to newer vehicles.

JusCrayZ 02-06-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 (Post 10948735)
Hoping it will help some people. I know a couple others who upgraded their radios but had a shop do it. I'm not that detailed but really it is pretty simple for anyone that's done radio swaps before. Happy the aftermarket is catching up to newer vehicles.

SPH2.0,
Thank you for this. Incredible timing and kind of surprised I found this post. I just joined the forum in hope to gather some knowledge and tips for what others have done with their stereos (and other mods, etc).
Specifically, with the 7" IOB base system.

I just picked up a 2017 LT and it has the issue where Apple CarPlay does not work. Attempted to get the dealer to do the software upgrade under Service Bulletin 17-NA-019. For whatever reason, they could not get it to work and advised that the module is faulty and to replace it. Of course the car is not under warranty so that would have to come out of pocket.Seeing that as an only option, I was discouraged that I would have to pay a chunk of money to fix a very basic stereo just for that one feature.

Then I come across your post and it completely changed the whole situation. What you have done here is greatly appreciated. Laying out the parts needed and basic narrative & pics on the process was extremely helpful in getting this project started.:coolpics:

I have ordered all of what you listed above (went with the same DMH-C5500NEX and Metra 108-GM3B dash kit). Should be tackling this install mid next week.

I would be surprised if a mod does not go ahead and sticky what you have done here for others who have the same setup (or issues) with the 7" IOB to let them easily find what option is currently available.

Thanks again.:thumbup:
-Justin

StPeteHyper2.0 02-07-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusCrayZ (Post 10951232)
SPH2.0,
Thank you for this. Incredible timing and kind of surprised I found this post. I just joined the forum in hope to gather some knowledge and tips for what others have done with their stereos (and other mods, etc).
Specifically, with the 7" IOB base system.

Thanks again.:thumbup:
-Justin

Awesome. I didn't get into to much detail with it. Most is typical stereo wiring. I got the harness parts, usb, xm all on ebay for half the retail prices. Again there is only 4 7mm screws to remove the plastic piece, then 1 screw from bottom side of radio module bracket, then loosen the 2 side screws after removing the little side dash panel. That bracket lifts up then in and down, then it's out. When you you remove the radio module from the bracket, the pioneer module will fit inside it but will be a little loose. I just added some velcro to bottom of module to keep it in place and tight. And make sure you got a lot of zip ties haha

See this for my speakers installed a while back. Only thing I'll need to do now is connect the sub output and run it back to the amp bypassing the lc2i I have.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536185

JusCrayZ 02-07-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 (Post 10948735)

I have installed a few stereos/head units in my time so this looks right in the ballpark of a standard swap with all the right adapters and harnesses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 (Post 10951714)
Awesome. I didn't get into to much detail with it. Most is typical stereo wiring. I got the harness parts, usb, xm all on ebay for half the retail prices. Again there is only 4 7mm screws to remove the plastic piece, then 1 screw from bottom side of radio module bracket, then loosen the 2 side screws after removing the little side dash panel. That bracket lifts up then in and down, then it's out. When you you remove the radio module from the bracket, the pioneer module will fit inside it but will be a little loose. I just added some velcro to bottom of module to keep it in place and tight. And make sure you got a lot of zip ties haha

Your details and notes are just enough for someone who has done something similar in the past. Once getting in there and taking parts out, it can't be that bad.
Yep, went the eBay route for all of the harnesses and adapters, saved a bunch on those.
Thanks for the additional information and yes, have to always keep plenty of zip ties on hand for projects like this.

Checked out your speaker & amp upgrade, very nice and clean on the install. Do you do that regularly or done it in the past for people? Your finished product looks to be of a professional level installation...

I did have (2) questions though:
When looking at the details on the PAC RP5-GM51 page, it mentions the CAM-GM51. Is that necessary or did your back up camera work when you used the RP5-GM52 harness?
Are the Steering Wheels controls retained, both Volume and Track Up/Down?