CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   1LE SC3 Tire Question (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594388)

kgerm 07-01-2021 01:47 PM

1LE SC3 Tire Question

Hello all, I am new here and been lurking a while. This is my first car so I am new to the Camaro family as well as driving. We currently have a 2018 2SS 1LE with the Good year SC3 tires that are great but may not bee good for wet weather driving from what some have said. My drive to school is only a few miles, 3 to be exact, from my home. Do you think that I need to change my tires to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the amount of driving I am/will be doing in the rain? My dad and I discussed them but have concerns over losing traction at the track.

Yes, other threads have seemed to touch on this but not to what I am looking for since I will not be getting on any highways while raining nor wet. The roads I drive to school will have a max speed of 40 and not have extreme cold weather. If that happens, my dad will either drive us or let us take his Superduty.

Thank you!

Rayvan 07-01-2021 01:50 PM

You should be okay at that distance, but your engine may not like that distance. You'd never get it warmed up!

kropscamaro16 07-01-2021 01:57 PM

if you are worried about always get an extra set of tires/wheels but i wouldnt if you are that close

Nothing like an SS 07-01-2021 02:02 PM

Short trips, slower speeds, no real cold, you'll be fine. As said, your engine will suffer more than anything.

kgerm 07-01-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayvan (Post 11033635)
You should be okay at that distance, but your engine may not like that distance. You'd never get it warmed up!

Ha! Well fortunately we have a track down the road that we will make use of so I am glad to hear that I do not need to get a different tire. These have seemed amazing thus far while tracking it and would hate to see the performance degrade at all.

KprosCamaro-thank you. We had looked at that option as well but it was getting pricey and would prefer to put that money toward mods if it needed to be spent.

5.M0NSTER 07-01-2021 02:18 PM

You will be fine in the wet with almost any tire, as long as you use restraint with your right foot.

Rhobz 07-01-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 11033667)
You will be fine in the wet with almost any tire, as long as you use restraint with your right foot.

This is exactly right.

Whether or not you SHOULD change a tire to account for wet weather is completely dependent on you. The SC3s are definitely NOT wet weather tires or cold weather tires but I drive with them in wet and cold a lot as I live in Colorado.

I have to respect the fact that I have greatly reduced traction.
I corner slower.
I accelerate slower.
I increase my following distance.

But, I do not want to maintain a separate set of wheels and tires so I run SC3s all year round and then on the warm dry days, I have a blast! I am hoping to get some track time this summer so will be replacing my current set (12000 miles) with a new set of SC3s.

kgerm 07-01-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhobz (Post 11033677)
This is exactly right.

Whether or not you SHOULD change a tire to account for wet weather is completely dependent on you. The SC3s are definitely NOT wet weather tires or cold weather tires but I drive with them in wet and cold a lot as I live in Colorado.

I corner slower.
I accelerate slower.

But, I do not want to maintain a separate set of wheels and tires so I run SC3s all year round and then on the warm dry days, I have a blast! I am hoping to get some track time this summer so will be replacing my current set (12000 miles) with a new set of SC3s.

Thank you so much for all of the quick responses. You’ve definitely helped me and put me at ease over keeping these as a daily tire.

Desert1LE 07-01-2021 06:46 PM

As long as it’s not below 50 F you will be fine.

weemus 07-02-2021 09:23 AM

Driving in the rain is fine. Its when its
a) higher speed i.e. highway
b) standing water
c) worn tires

These individually or combined can create some hydroplaning as the tread pattern isn't the best at evacuating water. I usually don't notice until the tires wear and I'm going over 55 or hit puddles and/or heavy rain.

pbsinternet1le 07-03-2021 02:09 PM

Look at apex for a set of 19s. You can run 305 square and rotate.. also use g3r of you want more grip..

Boost Creep 07-04-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhobz (Post 11033677)
This is exactly right.

I corner slower.
I accelerate slower.

I got about 12,000 out of each set of Goodyears. Still had front tread left but they got super noisy due to driving them below 45˚. They do not like cold at all.

The Continentals have 15,000, still plenty of tread and still quiet.

N Camarolina 07-04-2021 12:58 PM

I have Conti ECS tires and am liking them a lot, even in mild winters (I live in NC). Using 285-35-19 on all 4 corners and Apex 19" x 10 rims. No need for spacers or adapter rings if you go with the ARC-8s, and they are almost 30% lighter than the OEM wheels.

Be aware though if you go with 10.5 wheels to run 305 tires, you might need to grind the front strut to create clearance.

WhiteMale 07-06-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weemus (Post 11033994)
Driving in the rain is fine. Its when its
a) higher speed i.e. highway
b) standing water
c) worn tires

These individually or combined can create some hydroplaning as the tread pattern isn't the best at evacuating water. I usually don't notice until the tires wear and I'm going over 55 or hit puddles and/or heavy rain.

good post; wet isn't the problem, per se with the SC3. OP's conditions shouldn't be an issue at all.