Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   M6 V8 Owners - Start Off in 1st or 2nd Gear? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164727)

LT4Lover 08-12-2011 01:23 PM

M6 V8 Owners - Start Off in 1st or 2nd Gear?

Just wondering what everyone with the manual trans V8 (SS) cars are doing as far as what gear they start off with. I have found that the car has enough torque to start off in second pretty comfortably except in heavier traffic where the speed builds too slowly. I am a little concerned about continuing with starting in second though in terms of the clutch since it does seem to mean the clutch is partially engaged for longer while I get going. Starting in first seems to mean shifting too often though and then you often end up with the skip-shift kicking in which is a pain. Any thoughts?

Carzzy 08-12-2011 01:29 PM

I always start out in first from a complete stop. I will start in second if I am creeping in heavy traffic.

Rage 08-12-2011 01:29 PM

Just seems to scream burned clutch...... Too heavy a car for starting in 2nd... now if you had 3.73, 4.10, or 4.55's.... thats a whole different ballgame. Just my opinion.

10spokess 08-12-2011 01:34 PM

NO start in 1st from a stop man lol. If you want your clutch to last start in 1st.

Jagerday 08-12-2011 01:50 PM

Start in first and buy a skip shift eliminator.

BigCarrot 08-12-2011 01:52 PM

I just get up to 19mph then shift. Once you're above that speed skip shift will not engage. In your owners manual it tells you the situations that cause it to turn on and I do my best to never be in those situations.

HDRDTD 08-12-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagerday (Post 3608076)
Start in first and buy a skip shift eliminator.

Done, and do.

y0diggity 08-12-2011 02:31 PM

Mine always wants me to skip shift. I don't have the eliminator yet. For now, when it tries to do it, I just roll it back to first and THEN into second. It's a PITA. Even when I do get one, I'm not sure how I'll get it installed. To be honest, I'm terrified to get under this car. I'm a big guy and there is NO clearance under it. If it drops, I'm dead.

And to be on-topic: I start out in first unless I'm already rollin' slow.

Goatcrapp 08-12-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y0diggity (Post 3608269)
Mine always wants me to skip shift. I don't have the eliminator yet. For now, when it tries to do it, I just roll it back to first and THEN into second. It's a PITA. Even when I do get one, I'm not sure how I'll get it installed. To be honest, I'm terrified to get under this car. I'm a big guy and there is NO clearance under it. If it drops, I'm dead.

get a good set of jack stands, do the work on a level surface, and there's no earthly reason it should drop... clearance won't be a problem either.

SS>GT 08-12-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCarrot (Post 3608086)
I just get up to 19mph then shift. Once you're above that speed skip shift will not engage. In your owners manual it tells you the situations that cause it to turn on and I do my best to never be in those situations.

Ive never understood what all the fuss is about. Mine tells me to shift into fourth, but still goes into second without any problems what so ever. dont have a skip shift either... is it only the popup screen you guys are trying to get rid of?

dcarlos55 08-12-2011 03:14 PM

Start in first.

Oh yea, skip shift eliminator is cheap and takes all of 5 minutes to install. I bought the guy at a local shop a 6 pack to let me use his lift for a few minutes after he was done for the day. Then we had a beer and talked cars for a while.
:happy0180:

BigCarrot 08-12-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS>GT (Post 3608452)
Ive never understood what all the fuss is about. Mine tells me to shift into fourth, but still goes into second without any problems what so ever. dont have a skip shift either... is it only the popup screen you guys are trying to get rid of?

Sounds like something is very wrong with your electrical stuff or tranny then... because you shouldn't be able to do that without the skip shift eliminator. You sure you don't have it? Like did you buy the camaro used?

slick rick 08-12-2011 03:38 PM

1st

What is the advantage to starting in 2nd?

SATXLS3 08-12-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y0diggity (Post 3608269)

My Chevy dealer quick lube put mine in while they were changing the Mobil1