CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 deals (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579646)

jeep_junkie 08-04-2020 02:45 AM

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 deals

Where's everybody getting a good deal on Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 these days?

camaroJD 08-04-2020 04:56 AM

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil...it,386340.html

Usually if you sign up for their email list you also get a $10 off coupon.

Redlinez 08-04-2020 06:29 AM

Tasca has it for $7.07 a quart as well with some shipping Part #19353135 Quoted me $91 shipped to NC for 11 quarts.

Boost Creep 08-04-2020 11:56 AM

Just can't bring myself to put a 0w oil in my car.
:fear:

I had been running Valvoline 5w40 dexos2, but now discontinued.
Ended up ordering two cases of Amalie 5w40 dexos2 as choices are limited.

GM has an outdated Dexos list with many not currently available here or anymore.

Look but didn't see the Mobil 1 0w40 at local stores and like I said, don't think I could do it.

DaveC113 08-04-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boost Creep (Post 10841947)
Just can't bring myself to put a 0w oil in my car.
:fear:

I had been running Valvoline 5w40 dexos2, but now discontinued.
Ended up ordering two cases of Amalie 5w40 dexos2 as choices are limited.

GM has an outdated Dexos list with many not currently available here or anymore.

Look but didn't see the Mobil 1 0w40 at local stores and like I said, don't think I could do it.

That's only when it's cold, so you get superior oil flow at startup. That's one of the main benefits of 0w-40 vs 5w-XX

Nightfall ss1le 08-04-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaroJD (Post 10841738)

Damn, I just bought 12 Qts & a filter off eBay for $114. Wish this was brought up then lol

turbo2ltr 08-04-2020 04:17 PM

Amazon has the 6 pack it for $53 and change on prime.

https://amzn.to/2EIX9JM

Boost Creep 08-04-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveC113 (Post 10842084)
That's only when it's cold, so you get superior oil flow at startup. That's one of the main benefits of 0w-40 vs 5w-XX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdhgKUZhPA

It's still a 0w oil with an additive package to make it act like a 40 weight when hot. I'd rather start with a more substantial base.
My car lives in a garage so cold flow is less critical, never really gets below 45º in the dead of winter.
The engine was designed and speced to work with 5w so no issues.

Now if it lived outside and was a daily driver, then in the winter I might think about running it, but as it stands, no thanks.

Xaxas 08-04-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boost Creep (Post 10842115)

Then, Mobil 1 came out with 0w-40 and Chevy, the makers of the car that is "speced" for 5w-30 said "We'll use 0w-40 moving forward".

DaveC113 08-04-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdhgKUZhPA

It's still a 0w oil with an additive package to make it act like a 40 weight when hot. I'd rather start with a more substantial base.
My car lives in a garage so cold flow is less critical, never really gets below 45º in the dead of winter.

Now if it lived outside and was a daily driver, then in the winter I might think about running it, but as it stands, no thanks.

Agreed, as long as you use Dexos2 it should also be good for reducing carbon buildup and preserving the cats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaxas (Post 10842119)
Then, Mobil 1 came out with 0w-40 and Chevy, the makers of the car that is "speced" for 5w-30 said "We'll use 0w-40 moving forward".

Yup, while 5w will work fine I do trust that the Chevy engineers are telling us the 0w-40 M1 ESP is better because it actually is and not because (insert conspiracy theory here).

Boost Creep 08-04-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveC113 (Post 10842135)
Agreed, as long as you use Dexos2 it should also be good for reducing carbon buildup and preserving the cats.

Yup, while 5w will work fine I do trust that the Chevy engineers are telling us the 0w-40 M1 ESP is better because it actually is and not because (insert conspiracy theory here).

That's how I ended up ordering the Amalie. Trying to keep the oil Dexos while trying to keep the viscosities that I'm comfortable using.

On the GM Dexos list there were a number of Dexos 5w40 oils, but finding one available ended up being more difficult.

Redlinez 08-04-2020 06:44 PM

Yep, I ran the Valvoline 5/40 for over 2 1/2 years in my 17. Then they changed the formulation and dropped Dexos cert. Hadn't seen any 5/40's that are Dexos. How much is that Amalie? I will be getting my one free oil change next month using the Mobil 1 ESP 0-40 from the dealer. I will pay close attention to see if I can tell any differences whatsoever. I used some of my left over Valvoline 5/30 Dexos at about 1800 miles.

Stephen12ZL1 08-04-2020 07:10 PM

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos2/index.html

Stephen12ZL1 08-04-2020 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
good deal here:

Calubi 08-04-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 (Post 10842232)
good deal here:

+1. Been running this for over 2 years now.

Calubi 08-04-2020 08:31 PM

Does no one sell this in 5qt containers? Using 10+ bottles for a single change seems wasteful.

Dmaxcc6spd 08-04-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaroJD (Post 10841738)

Got mine from Speedway, but the filter concerns me, The box was mostly white and not a normal AC Delco box. The filter looked legit, but the box makes me somewhat uneasy.

Msquared 08-04-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

In the case of Mobil 1, I don't believe that's really true. If talking about a natural "dino" oil, it is true. I believe it is also essentially true for Group III "severely hydrocracked" oils that call themselves "synthetics," even though they really aren't. Most grades of Castrol used to be like this, and they may still be. But a true Group IV synthetic like M1 has an engineered molecule that requires less (or no?) viscosity modifiers to act like the thicker viscosity at high temps.

Quote:

"Cold flow" means the resistance to flow at temps lower than operating temps. It's measured at 40C (104F). So if your oil is at 70F, the low viscosity number is still the number that applies. IOW, it doesn't have be below freezing for a low-cold-viscosity oil to help reduce startup wear. 0w oils protect your engine better at startup, even if it isn't cold outside. If you have two oils that protect identically well at high temps but one is thinner at lower temps, you would always get better wear performance from the one that's thinner at low temps.

Also, you have to understand that the nominal multi-viscosity rating doesn't mean that a 5w40 is only 1/8 the viscosity cold as it is hot. That's not what the rating means. It means it acts like a straight 5w oil at 104F and it acts like a straight 40w oil at 212F. It's still much thicker at 104F than it is at 212F!

That video you linked actually says these things, in a roundabout way. But you can also just compare the data sheets for Motul 5w40 8100 X-Clean (a very good Dexos 2 oil) to Mobil 1 ESP 0w40. The difference between them in Kinematic Viscosity @ 40C is pretty massive, with the much better-flowing M1 providing a lot better flow and protection at 104F than the Motul. Also note that each is roughly 6x thicker at 104F than they are at 212F in absolute terms, so your concern about the 0w40 being too thin at low temps is not well founded.

The fact is that any Dexos 2 oil has to meet the most stringent wear requirements ever required by a manufacturer. And if you look at the data sheet on the M1 0w40, it's extremely good in all pertinent categories. With its superior cold flow properties, a 0w40 that meets Dexos 2 requirements is going to be better for any street-used engine that sees lots of cold starts than will an otherwise-equivalent 5w40.

Redlinez 08-05-2020 07:57 AM

While I get some of the scientific explanations, I don't see how 0W-40 has any advantage over a 5W-40 for track use. I ran the Valvoline 5w-40 old formula for almost 3 years daily and track with no issues whatsoever in 45,000 miles. So if the owner's manual states that 5w-30 Dexos is suitable for daily driving, then how is 5w-40 Dexos NOT suitable to track use? When you look at viscosity charts, the lower flow rate first number is listed for colder climates.

Msquared 08-05-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10842520)
While I get some of the scientific explanations, I don't see how 0W-40 has any advantage over a 5W-40 for track use. I ran the Valvoline 5w-40 old formula for almost 3 years daily and track with no issues whatsoever in 45,000 miles. So if the owner's manual states that 5w-30 Dexos is suitable for daily driving, then how is 5w-40 Dexos NOT suitable to track use?

I don't think the 104F viscosity rating makes any different for track use. If you started your engine once and never shut it off again until you sold the car, it would never make a difference.

Quote:

When you look at viscosity charts, the lower flow rate first number is listed for colder climates.
That's not correct. It has little to do with the climate you live in. Again, the lower number in a multi-viscosity is the rating your oil has before it has been warmed up to operating temperature. Specifically, it is the nominal viscosity rating at 104F. Even if you live in Miami, that rating will apply to your first start of the day, and you'll benefit from much better flow rates after initial startup. I would say it's even more important in colder climates, but it's not unimportant even in warm climates, as long as you cold-start your car on a regular basis (like almost all of us do).

Redlinez 08-05-2020 06:51 PM

I mean in owner’s manuals, the optional oil viscosities are listed by what climate you live in. The sub zero areas usually listed the lower weight oil ranges.

Eldi Z 08-05-2020 07:03 PM

That's not correct. It has little to do with the climate you live in. Again, the lower number in a multi-viscosity is the rating your oil has before it has been warmed up to operating temperature. Specifically, it is the nominal viscosity rating at 104F. Even if you live in Miami, that rating will apply to your first start of the day, and you'll benefit from much better flow rates after initial startup. I would say it's even more important in colder climates, but it's not unimportant even in warm climates, as long as you cold-start your car on a regular basis (like almost all of us do).[/QUOTE]

Since GM confirms 5W to be the correct specification in low ambient temps for the LT1 engine, which BtW has not changed its material since the introduction in the C7 2014, I cannot understand the issue with using this viscosity rating, especially in warmer ambient regions. The real-world advantage of the 0W oils in reducing engine wear in the long term should be negligible.
Talking about Group 3 Vs. Group 4 oils: Do you have any proof that the Exxon-Mobil stuff (0W40 ESP formula) is actually based on a Group 4 and not a Group 3 ("heavily hydro-cracked") fluid?

Mind you, hydro-cracking is THE industry standard and most oil manufacturers get their additive packages from Lubrizol, Dow, Ashland, Etc. anyway.
You can get extremely high quality oils which are Group3 (where the additive package is superior) than I.E. mediocre quality Group4 base oils (in which the additive package is not as good / efficient). Moreover, engine oils have designations, meaning: For a street driven, GDI engine for instance, you are much better off using an oil with improved detergent components, to clean sludge/carbon build-up effectively, while still maintaining sufficient lubrication properties.
On the other hand, if your engine is designated entirely for race/track usage and for short periods (oil being changed before each event), then the necessity for "cleanliness" and detergents becomes unimportant, compared to the high level of lubrication properties.

I would say that most people in this forum, predominantly use their cars on the street and therefore, oils such as Mobil1 ESP formula, Motul 8100 XClean, Valvoline MST, Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec, and any Dexos2 / BMW LL-04, VW 505.01, MB 229.51, ACEA C3 for this matter, would serve this purpose well.
Most important! Change your oil frequently and keep it fresh.

Msquared 08-05-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldi Z (Post 10843008)
Since GM confirms 5W to be the correct specification in low ambient temps for the LT1 engine, which BtW has not changed its material since the introduction in the C7 2014, I cannot understand the issue with using this viscosity rating, especially in warmer ambient regions. The real-world advantage of the 0W oils in reducing engine wear in the long term should be negligible.

I don't know about earlier cars, but the manual for my 2020 says:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet
Use SAE 0W-40 viscosity grade engine oil for the LT1 and LT4 engines. When selecting an oil of the appropriate viscosity grade, it is
recommended to select an oil of the correct specification. See “Specification” earlier in this section. If 0W-40 dexos2 oil is not available, SAE 5W-30 dexos1 full synthetic engine oil may be used for street use.

It doesn't give different recommendations for different climates. It also says that 0w-40 dexos2 is the factory fill (which I assume means it is Mobil 1), and that this is recommended for track use on an LT1 or non-ZLE LT4. I never said there was "an issue" with using a 5w-40 oil. I'm saying that the most protection for an LT1 in normal street use is given by 0w-40 oil. If for some reason you don't want to use that, despite the factory recommendation, I am sure that your engine won't seize tomorrow. I just can't see a reason not to use it.

Quote:

Talking about Group 3 Vs. Group 4 oils: Do you have any proof that the Exxon-Mobil stuff (0W40 ESP formula) is actually based on a Group 4 and not a Group 3 ("heavily hydro-cracked") fluid?
I do not.

Quote:

You can get extremely high quality oils which are Group3 (where the additive package is superior) than I.E. mediocre quality Group4 base oils (in which the additive package is not as good / efficient).
I'm sure that's true.

Boost Creep 08-05-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldi Z (Post 10843008)
Most important! Change your oil frequently and keep it fresh.

I use the oil life monitor to judge when to change the oil.

When the oil life hits about 50% on the monitor, which ends up being like 4000+/- miles, I change with a ACDelco PF64.

:flamesuiton:

Eldi Z 08-07-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boost Creep (Post 10843091)

When the oil life hits about 50% on the monitor, which ends up being like 4000+/- miles, I change with a ACDelco PF64.

:flamesuiton:

This is perfect! I must admit that I only change at the ~ 20% oil life indicator, it happens only after I drive about 2500-3000 miles.
In my case, the time factor of the % makes the difference, since I do not daily drive my 1LE and I believe that the % indicator counts 365 days from 100%-Down to- 0%.
So even if I would theoretically not use the engine at all, if 1 year goes by since the last oil change, I will be down to 0 % no matter what.

Boost Creep 08-15-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldi Z (Post 10844297)
This is perfect! I must admit that I only change at the ~ 20% oil life indicator, it happens only after I drive about 2500-3000 miles.
In my case, the time factor of the % makes the difference, since I do not daily drive my 1LE and I believe that the % indicator counts 365 days from 100%-Down to- 0%.
So even if I would theoretically not use the engine at all, if 1 year goes by since the last oil change, I will be down to 0 % no matter what.

Funny thing I noticed compared to a C6 corvette, the Camaro oil life monitor is more aggressive.
What I mean is, in the same type and mileage driving, the Camaro gets down to about 50% life left where in the same mileage/time/driving style the Corvette was only down to something like 70%.

Just thought it was weird. I had planned the same oil change schedule and as I drove the car I noticed the Camaro ate through the life percentage much quicker than the C6.
So I stuck with the mileage interval range, about 4000, just changed the way I use the life monitor as the indicator. Instead of changing at 70%, I now shoot for 50%.

/sidetrack

Redlinez 08-15-2020 08:48 AM

I change mine every 5000 or so and my oil change reminder rarely comes on saying anything. The whole point of synthetic oil originally was for longer oil change intervals. Many manufacturers advertise 10,000, 16,000, 20,000 and even 22,000 mile oil change intervals. I think we just might be changing it quite early even at 5000. But we love our cars!!

Ryanbabz71 08-17-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldi Z (Post 10844297)

I changed mine last fall, fast forward to this August (398 miles driven) my OLM was at 20%. Planning to do a track day next month so I changed the oil. I also sent a sample for analysis and it came back fine. I should have left it but wanted to be on the safe side and have piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeep_junkie 08-19-2020 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10841760)
Tasca has it for $7.07 a quart as well with some shipping Part #19353135 Quoted me $91 shipped to NC for 11 quarts.

Did you actually place and receive your order? If not, beware. I placed an order with Tasca week before last. They charged my card for the order right away. I waited the customary few business days before expecting an email regarding when it would ship but after seeing no update on my order all week, I tried to get them on the phone this last Monday, that too in vain. They finally emailed me today that they were cancelling the order due to unavailability of the oil. I get that covid has made this business of sourcing and shipping trickier, but they need to get their act together and update their website when supply is short or not available. It was literally a deal too good to be true; I would have just bit the bullet and ordered two cases from Amazon and changed the oil the next weekend. Now I have to wait another week.

Redlinez 08-19-2020 05:20 AM

Glad you mentioned that. I have not. I just searched the net and found their pricing. I will say however that I called about the LT2 intake and never got anyone on the phones after repeated calls. I will just buy the oil from a local ish dealer when the time comes. They quoted me $7.70 a quart.

D_H 08-27-2020 11:36 PM

I saw that right now Speedway Motors, INC. through Walmart has 12qts of Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 with an ACDelco PF64 for $106 shipped.

carguy55 08-28-2020 04:33 PM

I ordered parts from Tasca once. I will never use them again. Total nightmare, of course they blame everything on covid. I ordered oil from Amazon and got the matching oil cap too. Whoope!

jeep_junkie 08-28-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carguy55 (Post 10858049)
I ordered parts from Tasca once. I will never use them again. Total nightmare, of course they blame everything on covid. I ordered oil from Amazon and got the matching oil cap too. Whoope!

Amazon, etc are all operating in similar circumstances, yet Tasca is the only one unable to fulfill orders. Not really the best way to stay in business.

jeep_junkie 08-28-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10851565)
I will just buy the oil from a local ish dealer when the time comes. They quoted me $7.70 a quart.

Ish? Is that an acronym, or did you mean localish? I'd like to get that price too!

carguy55 08-30-2020 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made the change GM 12686472, ACDelco FC265

JRunner01 09-02-2020 01:59 PM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...SABEgIdXPD_BwE

"If 0W-40 dexos2 oil is not available,
SAE 5W-30 dexos1 full synthetic
engine oil may be used for
street use."

This seems like the best compromise to adhere to the bs dexros2 spec while keeping cost per quart down. Yes its 5w30 but they clearly say in the owners manual if you cant find 0w40 dexos2 you can supplement 5w30 dexos1. SO this above is a step above that supplement in that its dexo2 from Penzoil.

jeep_junkie 09-02-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRunner01 (Post 10860950)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...SABEgIdXPD_BwE

"If 0W-40 dexos2 oil is not available,
SAE 5W-30 dexos1 full synthetic
engine oil may be used for
street use."

This seems like the best compromise to adhere to the bs dexros2 spec while keeping cost per quart down. Yes its 5w30 but they clearly say in the owners manual if you cant find 0w40 dexos2 you can supplement 5w30 dexos1. SO this above is a step above that supplement in that its dexo2 from Penzoil.

Oh yeah I agree we can use Dexos1 5w-30 for street use, but I prefer the Dexos2 0w-40 stuff in case there is a track day in my near future. I don't relish the prospect of switching to a different oil for the track.

Boost Creep 09-02-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlinez (Post 10842207)
Yep, I ran the Valvoline 5/40 for over 2 1/2 years in my 17. Then they changed the formulation and dropped Dexos cert. Hadn't seen any 5/40's that are Dexos. How much is that Amalie? I will be getting my one free oil change next month using the Mobil 1 ESP 0-40 from the dealer. I will pay close attention to see if I can tell any differences whatsoever. I used some of my left over Valvoline 5/30 Dexos at about 1800 miles.

Sorry man, I just saw this.
With shipping it came out to about $5.40/qt.
Case of 12 was $55.xx and then shipping and tax came out to $65/case and I got two cases.

Redlinez 09-02-2020 04:31 PM

The Havoline ProDS 5/40 is Dexos 2 approved and is like $5.60 a quart or so at Napa, or was last month anyway. Which oil did you just order? I can get the Mobil ESP at my son's work for $7.50 a quart, I may end up just running that so I'm not switching back and forth unless I know it will be a while before my next track visit. Lately, I've done one HPDE two years ago and doing another one in November.

JRunner01 09-02-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep_junkie (Post 10861020)
Oh yeah I agree we can use Dexos1 5w-30 for street use, but I prefer the Dexos2 0w-40 stuff in case there is a track day in my near future. I don't relish the prospect of switching to a different oil for the track.

So if we can find a dexos2 in 5w40 (while at a price per qt lower than apprx $7.xx for M1 ESP) then we should be ok for either track use or street. I know that it calls for 0w40 for either track or street but if the 0w vs 5w is just for better flow while reaching normal operating temps then the 0w part isn't REALLY a needed specification as GM leads us to believe needed at the track. Its really the 40 that they are suggesting is all around for street and track vs say a 5w30 for street only, where the 30 would be too low for track. At least I think all the above is what I've been reading and hearing discussed on this forum.