Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weird tapping noise (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569718)

HeyZeus 02-07-2020 04:04 PM

Weird tapping noise

So when I start my car up from cold, after a couple minutes while it’s idling, there is a small little 3 or 4 taps that sounds like someone is standing behind my car and tapping on my trunk. I cannot work out what it would be for the life of me so wondering if anyone can help put this one to bed

Camaro2ss2010 02-07-2020 04:42 PM

This is a mystery question. I think it has been determined it involves the evap system on our cars. If anyone else knows what it is I would like a for sure reason my self.

HeyZeus 02-07-2020 10:25 PM

So it isn’t just my car then?

InFiD3ViL 02-07-2020 11:48 PM

Yea this is supposedly some part of the evap system. First time I heard it I nearly shat myself, because like you said, it sounds like someone tapping on the car. I looked and nobody was behind me or outside. It only occurs on cold starts about a minute or so after the car has started. Definite WTF moment.

As long as you don't have anyone locked in your trunk it is not an issue. No, it is not your car. I mean it is, but not JUST your car. It happens by design.

christianchevell 02-08-2020 07:19 AM

Watched a SS driving down the road the other day, he had a high lift spoiler and a set of this and that, and a exhaust that would shift on the passenger side moving up and down...….. And obvious he had removed the exhaust and redone it..... And I wondered if maybe he had some annoying noise now and then..... Just a thought as its been documented on here over and over form hangers not just right etc making tapping sounds ...that and the loose shielding etc...…….

Camaro2ss2010 02-08-2020 12:54 PM

Mine is definitely not the hangers as I can be sitting still when it does it. I’m pretty sure it is the evap system.

InFiD3ViL 02-08-2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 (Post 10719594)
Mine is definitely not the hangers as I can be sitting still when it does it. I’m pretty sure it is the evap system.

Yep. Usually on stone cold starts/first start of the day. A couple minutes after start, 'TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP'. Most people describe it the same way, like someone is tapping a fingernail on the trunk lid.

SimpleGreen 02-08-2020 01:07 PM

It's an evap valve near the fuel tank doing it's thing when you crank the car. All three of my 5th gens have done it. Business as usual.

HeyZeus 02-08-2020 02:24 PM

Hahah awesome, thanks for the info. Scared the crap outta me the first few times thinking I was about to get jumped. Glad to hear that it’s normal though