CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Who's running Frankenstein Ported Heads-Happy? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567769)

laynlo15 01-05-2020 07:44 AM

Who's running Frankenstein Ported Heads-Happy?

I'm still on the fence about what to do with my heads. I've found a pretty good deal on a set of Frankenstein Lt1's still in the box. They are stage 1 and looks like some really nice machining and per the website decent gains. Anyone running these and are you happy with them? Or opinions?

scooter k 01-05-2020 11:41 AM

Had mine done there. They look amazing!

ramairroughneck 01-05-2020 12:20 PM

I regret doing heads on my combo. I would have been so much better off to have put that money into the fuel system. Is there really an advantage to gaining power by bolting on heads when one size smaller blower pulley puts you at the same exact power?

laynlo15 01-05-2020 12:41 PM

So true, some have been telling me they gain more buy just milling the heads. These heads are pretty dam good from the factory for sure. Good springs, correct push rods, 30 thou milling and let er eat. I def need to upgrade my low side so I could use that money to go towards DSX upgrade.

oldman 01-05-2020 11:52 PM

Factory hollow valves are iffy. I’d go for Manley proflows in stock heads have a good conservative large seat but into them... they are as good as titanium valves without the aggressive titanium guide wear. The undercut head does give a nice boost in flow too.

ShizzySupra 01-09-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck (Post 10693173)
I regret doing heads on my combo. I would have been so much better off to have put that money into the fuel system. Is there really an advantage to gaining power by bolting on heads when one size smaller blower pulley puts you at the same exact power?

The bigger power gain comes from milling the heads. The porting helps but for the most part will just help the upper end curve on most setups. For example I gained 40ish whp peak on my setup but it was 55+whp in the upper end past 6400.

There also comes a point where pulleying down is generating more heat than its worth for power gains.

laynlo15 01-09-2020 09:20 AM

Thanks Shizzy, decided to stay with my stock heads, new BTR platinum spring kit. I think we will probably do a little milling since I'm starting off with an Lt4 short block which is 10.0 compared to my shit short block we just took apart which was 10.5. Probably about 20 thou and then we will see if its gonna require a shorter push rod.

L78toLT1 01-09-2020 11:13 AM

Which lifters are you planning to run, Greg? Lots of posts badmouthing LS7's, but I haven't seen too many reported failures. I'm on the LS7's with my .635 lift cam but may upgrade when I refresh the heads. I have around 10K on these springs/lifters, planning to refresh at around 25K. I wonder how the guides hold up with the typical aftermarket cams/springs?

laynlo15 01-09-2020 12:08 PM

That's the lifters I was running. Perfect condition along with the cam. I'd have to check what lifters BTR uses but it is a BTR cam kit w/lifters in this new short block.