CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Cabin Air filters for Mouse homes...part 2. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529323)

Frank237 05-19-2018 02:42 PM

Cabin Air filters for Mouse homes...part 2.

Saw the thread regarding the mouse setting up home in the cabin air filter area. Thought to myself...Glad I have cats in the garage constantly....as well as traps, poison, etc.

Headed to Services this morning for a good friend from my old Aviation Unit, who passed this past week. So in a sad mood already. Decide to take the Camaro as it will make the ride interesting and make me a bit happier.

Get in and there's the stench of dead mouse!

Hours later , once I'm home,I screw with getting the CAF out. Come on Chevy Engineers...THAT is the best way you can come up with to access the CAF? Use a pry tool and a lot of force to get the glove box down? Couldn't put a couple of buttons or a latch? The START of my ****ing adventure.

Sure enough it's chewed up has some cat food in it as well as a softball sized nest of (I assume) under dash insulation.

But.....NO mouse carcass.

I started the car, ran the fans at full blast and a few more cat kibbles came out , but no mouse carcass. Still stinks to high heaven.

My next plan is to rig up a smaller, flexible hose to my shop vac, to stick down into that fan motor in hopes of getting whatever else is in there.

Anyone have any idea WHERE the INLET is for the CAF so I could maybe rig up a screen to deny entry to the next rodent? I'm sure access requires engine removal.

NOT in a good mood! :mad0260:

Mark114 05-19-2018 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't know for sure but these pictures imply that the air is drawn from the grill in front of the windshield on the passenger side. The insulation you see in the nest might be engine or hood insulation.

Good luck with your car!

Frank237 05-19-2018 03:44 PM

Thanks for the help. Yeah...I think it IS at the base of the W/S , under the plastic grill.

I fear I'm going to have the Dealer get at my little buddy...as well as get the kat food out of my blower fan. I can't recall the last time I was this pissed off. You spend a ton of money on a marginally engineered car...try to keep it clean, it's your pride and Joy.

They can't even make the glove box big enough for the Owners Manual! The owners manual really doesn't fit well in the box! I think GM needs to woo a few REAL engineers away from the Japanese auto makers. (Yeah!! I'm on a F'in RANT now!)

ALL the ****ing Engineers have to do to remedy this issue is to put a small bit of metal screening over any access port. What's that add? $5 at most? People DO live in RURAL areas. We have rodent issues.

What a day.

mdhopt36 05-20-2018 06:42 AM

I parked my Tundra PU where i used to park a boat previously on a gravel pad. Left it there for not quite 2 days.
The little bastard got all the way into the heater blower, and hauled in a bunch of MOSS.
When I turned it on for AC, there was a real peculiar sound.
Guess I was lucky, he wasn't in there to make a puree'd mess. Still a bear to clean it out though.

dpevans 05-21-2018 09:54 PM

sorry to hear of the stench. If you are using excessive force to drop the glove box you're doing it wrong. put light pressure right in the middle and the tab will clear the lip then hold it down while doing the other side. good luck getting the smell out.

Frank237 05-21-2018 10:10 PM

Went out today and bought a 9mm inspection camera. Hoping to find an easily retrievable carcass with the camera. I had a chore just trying to look around in there, much less pull anything out.

Found two small balls of MAGGOTS...most likely my dead mice...back behind the heater fan motor and the other off to the side towards the drivers side.

My insurance will pay for the repair minus my deductible....so a smelly, windows down ride to the Dealer tomorrow.

Asked if the Tech could add some screening to the inlet...the dealership said they couldn't. (!?!?) So, when it's back I will remove the wipers, the hood cowling and try to get some screening over the access to the Cabin Air filler door. Hopefully ending this issue for good.

Hopefully no wires chewed up , or other damage I'm not seeing.

Mark114 05-21-2018 10:43 PM

Maybe ask if you can see the cowl disassembled for when you have to do it. Hopefully they replace or disinfect everything to kill the smell and bacteria.

Good Luck!

Frank237 05-22-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark114 (Post 10193361)
Maybe ask if you can see the cowl disassembled for when you have to do it. Hopefully they replace or disinfect everything to kill the smell and bacteria.

Good Luck!

I put some Fabreeze and some spray disinfectant in the trunk for the Tech. I'm sure they do these frequently as this IS rodent Country. Doubt I know anyone out here who hasn't had mouse/pack rat damage. So this is common.

The Dealer is 45 miles away but I'm going to try to get in at the mid way point for a look and a few digitals. And to talk to the Tech about the best way to block any future rodent access.

Had a similar issue with one of the old cop cars , A 1996 Caprice I had. Took some 1/8" galvanized screening and cut a piece to fit over the vent access on the firewall near the base of the W/S. Then used some HD adhesive caulking and ran a bead around the perimieer of the screening. Worked like a charm.

Spartan268 05-22-2018 11:21 AM

I'm afraid to check mine. My car sometimes have a puke like smell when using the climate control system. I just started using the windows instead but it sounds like I need to bite the bullet.

Bad Anvil Garage 05-22-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan268 (Post 10193805)
I'm afraid to check mine. My car sometimes have a puke like smell when using the climate control system. I just started using the windows instead but it sounds like I need to bite the bullet.

That could be the condensation issue... another problem with the AC system in these cars. Sometimes on startup, the first few minutes smells like someone hung their gym socks inside my dash. Goes away after a few minutes.

SnakeEyeSS 05-22-2018 01:48 PM

Possibly you could take apart the electric mouse traps and glue the shock pad inside of the inlet. Every mouse that crossed it would die, so at least no damage would occur. Unless they piled up enough they crawled over the bodies :lol: Maybe extend the wires so you can stick the battery pack under the hood.

ctrlz 05-23-2018 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage (Post 10193858)
That could be the condensation issue... another problem with the AC system in these cars. Sometimes on startup, the first few minutes smells like someone hung their gym socks inside my dash. Goes away after a few minutes.

That's bacteria growing on the evaporator fins. It is very hard to get rid of because you can't get to the evaporator directly.

Frank237 05-23-2018 02:11 PM

A buddy who details cars for a local Chevy Dealer sent me some digitals of a Gen FIVE getting the heater blower motor replaced...similar to what they will have to do to my car. The entire dash as well as steering wheel removed!

Also shows the HUGE access hole to the cabin air filter that my mice used to access my car. It still amazes me that they engineer in a huge hole, with NO thoughts to those of us with rural America, Rodent issues.

https://ibb.co/hSWKRT
https://ibb.co/b5jjt8

Frank237 05-23-2018 02:26 PM

https://ibb.co/kORxD8

This is the cabin filter access HOLE....ridiculous to imagine rodents WONT get IN.

I use IBB as a hosting site. Anyone know HOW I can post these so the photos are ON the page, not as links? Or can anyone FIX this?