CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   What are your Bose stereo settings? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445711)

misterjaayy 03-25-2016 12:04 AM

What are your Bose stereo settings?

I have been fiddling around with the stock Bose stereo in my 2SS for a week or so and I can't quite seem to find the sweet spot. So I'm curious, for all of you with the Bose system, how do you have it set up? Currently I'm at +4 Bass, no change with Mid Range, and +4 Treble (from the default stock settings with Bass, Mid Range, and Treble all in the middle). I also have the Fade -2 so more sound coming from the rear.

I want to like this sound system, but so far I have been underwhelmed. How are you guys getting the most out of the stock set up?

Glen e 03-25-2016 12:32 AM

I have a friend that's really accomplished with bose and he set it up this way and it does sound about the best for me :
Bass and mid one notch plus from middle
Treble mid

Fader one tap to the front.

suzook 03-25-2016 11:42 AM

Its gonna be different for everyone. We all have different opinions on what sounds "good". My entire life, I have always cut mids dramatically on every system I have had.

JoeAyalaM 03-25-2016 08:03 PM

The fronts are supposed to sound a little louder than the rears, you always face a concert's soundstage, right?

EstebanVerde 03-27-2016 08:29 AM

Door Speakers

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM (Post 8991688)
The fronts are supposed to sound a little louder than the rears, you always face a concert's soundstage, right?

My door speakers in the front on my 2SS seem to be much quieter than the dash and back seat door speakers. Is this normal? I've played with the fade and this always seem to be the case.

chris227 03-27-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EstebanVerde (Post 8993790)
My door speakers in the front on my 2SS seem to be much quieter than the dash and back seat door speakers. Is this normal? I've played with the fade and this always seem to be the case.

The front door speakers are bass.

EstebanVerde 03-27-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris227 (Post 8993869)

Thanks. Good to know. Definitely makes things sound a little different than other cars.

misterjaayy 03-28-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 8989855)
I have a friend that's really accomplished with bose and he set it up this way and it does sound about the best for me :
Treble mid

This worked out good. Thanks Glen.

cellsafemode 03-29-2016 12:33 AM

I have bass and treble just a bit above mid-level
middle is just around the middle

fader is way to the back so that you can just barely hear the rear speakers along with the front rather than only being able to hear the front. Volume, high enough that you can't hear the outside world.

SSport16 03-29-2016 09:29 AM

Bass and treble need to set much higher than mid, otherwise it sounds too dull, no depth to it. Think of it as a curve, bass and treble towards the top on the endsm and mid range in the middle, creates a nice curve, my fader it set 1 in favor of the front, perfect.

gblaue 03-29-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Treble mid

What's his connection with Bose?

misterjaayy 03-29-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSport16 (Post 8997786)
Bass and treble need to set much higher than mid, otherwise it sounds too dull, no depth to it. Think of it as a curve, bass and treble towards the top on the endsm and mid range in the middle, creates a nice curve, my fader it set 1 in favor of the front, perfect.

So what are your settings? How many clicks from the middle for the bass treble and mid?

cellsafemode 03-29-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSport16 (Post 8997786)

The amp has it's own equalizer bias built in so even if your head unit is set to flat, it's not going to be flat at the speakers and to your ears. On top of the pre-processing that the music track itself has been under to make the song sound the way designed. I think bose has balanced the sound pretty good for it's own speakers so I dont feel there is any need to augment it more (at least for the music i've been listening to).

My system sounded completely biased to the front at dead center fade. Can't even hear that I have any speakers except the front in that configuration. Dropping the fade back and kicking volume up fills the cabin in a more fuller sound than only hearing audio from the much smaller front dash speakers.

Not sure what bose has stuffed under the dash but they look to be 4" speakers and while bose can drive tiny speakers plenty loud. I like using the larger rear ones to fill in what the tiny fronts dont seem to provide.

JonGSA 04-08-2016 03:45 PM

I'm still messing with my settings yet, but on the way home from work yesterday, I actually liked the sound a hair better when I pushed the fade to the front more. I think it cut out the rears a bit and made it sound like it was ALL coming from the doors/dash. But it could of been the song too. Im not 100% sure.

If i had one more request from Chevy, it would of been to give us more flexibilty with the soundstage and DSP. The way it is, is not everyones cup of tea....but it does remind me of the center speaker setup from a 67 camaro. haha

ctrlz 04-09-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris227 (Post 8993869)

Have you popped the door panels yet? I saw your post on the rear side speakers and they look to be 4" drivers. So what's in the doors... 6.5"?

chris227 04-09-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlz (Post 9021658)
Have you popped the door panels yet? I saw your post on the rear side speakers and they look to be 4" drivers. So what's in the doors... 6.5"?

Haven't got there yet. I think 5x7 or 6x9 i believe. There was a pic of someone on here replacing the accent piece, Thats where i saw it. I plan on doing my doors in about 2 weeks. so i can give a better answer then.

JonGSA 04-15-2016 02:02 PM

A small thread bump to see if anyone has had any luck tweaking the Bose system.

But to throw my 2 cents in, it seems the imaging is VERY dependent on where your head is in the car. I was at a light other other day and was moving my head around. Closer to the steering wheel, more back to the headrest, higher lower.....etc. People must of though i was on something. ...:lol:. But if i put my head back more towards the headrest....it sounded a little better and more normal.

If they can release an update to the stereo...they should throw in more options and settings. Bass/Mid/Treble PLUS Subwoofer and dash levels. Also enable/disable any sound DSP or cancelling. I have the bass in the middle and its still boomy.

Its the one and only thing about this car that I don't like. I hate BOSE....always did and this isn't helping me change my mind either. :noidea:

shewstring 04-23-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Treble mid

Glen e, thanks for the tip. This setting does clean things up. I had the +4 bass, +4 treble, and mid at neutral setting before. Definite improvement moving to what you suggested.

:thanks:

ctrlz 04-25-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonGSA (Post 9034692)
it seems the imaging is VERY dependent on where your head is in the car. I was at a light other other day and was moving my head around.

Also enable/disable any sound DSP or cancelling. I have the bass in the middle and its still boomy.

Its the one and only thing about this car that I don't like. I hate BOSE....always did and this isn't helping me change my mind either. :noidea:

No surprise. Amar Bose was all about psychoacoustics. In this small cabin it would be more noticeable. There will be a sweet spot.

mruhlen 04-25-2016 10:12 AM

This explains the Bose "Clean Sheet Approach" for designing automotive audio systems:

http://www.bose-automotive.co.kr/flv...tapproach.html

ctrlz 04-25-2016 12:03 PM

^^ Thanks for that.

63falcondude 04-25-2016 12:49 PM

Bumped up Bass and Treble. Fader to the back one notch. Don't remember the exact amounts off hand.

mruhlen 04-25-2016 04:36 PM

One more short video on Bose designing sound systems for specific cars . . . in this case, GM:

https://vimeo.com/160942498

Emoto 05-02-2016 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonGSA (Post 9034692)
A small thread bump to see if anyone has had any luck tweaking the Bose system.

But to throw my 2 cents in, it seems the imaging is VERY dependent on where your head is in the car. I was at a light other other day and was moving my head around. Closer to the steering wheel, more back to the headrest, higher lower.....etc. People must of though i was on something. ...:lol:. But if i put my head back more towards the headrest....it sounded a little better and more normal.

If they can release an update to the stereo...they should throw in more options and settings. Bass/Mid/Treble PLUS Subwoofer and dash levels. Also enable/disable any sound DSP or cancelling. I have the bass in the middle and its still boomy.

Yeah, the bass is indeed boomy. Not what I prefer.

JonGSA 05-03-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mruhlen (Post 9053736)
One more short video on Bose designing sound systems for specific cars . . . in this case, GM:

https://vimeo.com/160942498

Interesting video, but what made me laugh was the one of the last lines about how the sound is all around you and immersive. Apparently they forgot this MO when designing the 2SS system. The majority of the sound comes through the dash. The rears almost sound nonexistent at times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoto (Post 9067304)

At least its not just me. :thumb: The system has bass....but just at all the wrong frequencies and curves.

This is what pisses me off about Bose the most. Their level of sound customization is too small. (Some by design with the actual speaker design and placement and some by their "Apple" attitude which revolves around "We know more than you do and this is what we think is best for you")

They almost build their systems (anything, car, home, headphones...) around "light" music. With soundstages and pre-selected EQ'ing to compliment such music. So I'm sure if I were to tune into a jazz or classical station on XM, it might be alright.

But guess what bose....not everyone listens to one type of music. Case in point, I like to listen a lot of stuff but mostly rock/metal/classic rock/some electronic...etc. The vocals come out of the front/dash almost too clear (I'll give it that). But certain frequencies are either missing or are gained up too much. So say for example....80's metal where it's alot of mid's and trebles, but not too much low end. I find the sound too tinny and gutless. If i up the bass slider, I don't gain any substantial and listenable low end. And if I do, it gets washed out by the "boomy" pre-selected and gained up frequencies.

Or if I listen to something more modern that has a much fuller sound to it, it's still a no win situation. It might have too much treble, then if i kick down the trebles it starts to completely lose its clarity and vocals. The mid slider almost doesn't so much at all. And the bass is again boomy with no punch or low end.

I know it is what it is, but im not dumping money into changing the sound system out. If i had a realistic wish, I wish Bose/GM would release an update to MyLink with more sound customization options. At least have list of music genre types with thier predefined sound processing maps and then we can tweak the trev/mid/bass around them. But chances are that might be a 2018 feature and us early Gen6er's are gonna get nothing.

End rant....:peep:

Emoto 05-03-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonGSA (Post 9068063)
Interesting video, but what made me laugh was the one of the last lines about how the sound is all around you and immersive. Apparently they forgot this MO when designing the 2SS system. The majority of the sound comes through the dash. The rears almost sound nonexistent at times.

At least its not just me. :thumb: The system has bass....but just at all the wrong frequencies and curves.

This is what pisses me off about Bose the most. Their level of sound customization is too small. (Some by design with the actual speaker design and placement and some by their "Apple" attitude which revolves around "We know more than you do and this is what we think is best for you")

They almost build their systems (anything, car, home, headphones...) around "light" music. With soundstages and pre-selected EQ'ing to compliment such music. So I'm sure if I were to tune into a jazz or classical station on XM, it might be alright.

But guess what bose....not everyone listens to one type of music. Case in point, I like to listen a lot of stuff but mostly rock/metal/classic rock/some electronic...etc. The vocals come out of the front/dash almost too clear (I'll give it that). But certain frequencies are either missing or are gained up too much. So say for example....80's metal where it's alot of mid's and trebles, but not too much low end. I find the sound too tinny and gutless. If i up the bass slider, I don't gain any substantial and listenable low end. And if I do, it gets washed out by the "boomy" pre-selected and gained up frequencies.

Or if I listen to something more modern that has a much fuller sound to it, it's still a no win situation. It might have too much treble, then if i kick down the trebles it starts to completely lose its clarity and vocals. The mid slider almost doesn't so much at all. And the bass is again boomy with no punch or low end.

I know it is what it is, but im not dumping money into changing the sound system out. If i had a realistic wish, I wish Bose/GM would release an update to MyLink with more sound customization options. At least have list of music genre types with thier predefined sound processing maps and then we can tweak the trev/mid/bass around them. But chances are that might be a 2018 feature and us early Gen6er's are gonna get nothing.

End rant....:peep:

It isn't just you. I would prefer clarity and definition in the low end instead of amorphous booming. Maybe there is a way to put an EQ before the speakers somehow.

JonGSA 05-03-2016 09:37 AM

Yeah, I looked into that and there are ton's of sound processors, equalizers, etc...out there. But that's a quite an expensive undertaking. The few I looked at, all convert the speaker level inputs into line level inputs, while EQ'ing them in the process. Not bad....but since the outputs are line level, we'll need an amplifier to boost the sound back to speaker level outputs. Amps need more wiring for power and tap into the control circuit....which might overpower the stock speakers, so I might need new speakers too...:frusty:

My biggest gripe, is that my 2SS is a lease. So hacking apart the factory Bose connections,amps...and wiring up possibly 2 grand+ worth of gear, just to correct the sound, that's not in my cards.

Now if someone were to design a module that uses the factory connections out the Bose amp, and A) is directly swapable with the bose amp with no issues or B) can be put in after the Bose amp and corrects the sound, before the speakers .....I'd be sold.

Maybe I'm being too critical of the bose system, but coming from my 2008 A4 which just had the basic sound system in it, it's disappointing. I put an aftermarket headunit in it 3 years ago to get iphone functionality and it sounded even better. No sub, just the stock rear deck little woofer, stock speakers, no amp.

Emoto 05-03-2016 09:50 AM

I find that if I back off the bass a bit, it isn't quite as boomy, but it still doesn't provide a clean bass sound.

JonGSA 05-03-2016 10:02 AM

^ Exactly. Bose seems to alter the EQ curves to their liking. So when you do adjust the bass/mid/trebles, you're not just raising or lowering a linear sweep-like curve. We're raising/lowering their predefined EQ curve. Im no audio expert but i say they have the 80-100hz level higher than the rest of the lower bass frequencies.

I tried that too and while it gets rid of the boom, it also gets rid of the bass in general.

Also i just thought of this.....you would think with a 8" touch screen, they would of built in like a 10 band slider EQ menu.:iono:

Emoto 05-03-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonGSA (Post 9068402)
^ Exactly. Bose seems to alter the EQ curves to their liking. So when you do adjust the bass/mid/trebles, you're not just raising or lowering a linear sweep-like curve. We're raising/lowering their predefined EQ curve. Im no audio expert but i say they have the 80-100hz level higher than the rest of the lower bass frequencies.

I tried that too and while it gets rid of the boom, it also gets rid of the bass in general.

Also i just thought of this.....you would think with a 8" touch screen, they would of built in like a 10 band slider EQ menu.:iono:

You would think!

BTW, nice avatar. I have a 2013 GS-W (not "A").

Glen e 05-03-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonGSA (Post 9068402)

It's just the way they have set it up, the Vette has 4 Eq programs/settings, one is driver centered, a few others I can't remember....

cellsafemode 05-03-2016 11:48 AM

Bose seems to like symphonic metal because it sounds pretty nice on it with equalizer settings all kicked up evenly a bit and fade kicked way back to the rear (so you can actually hear any audio from them) and volume at around 75%

ctrlz 05-03-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonGSA (Post 9068337)
Yeah, I looked into that and there are tons of sound processors, equalizers, etc...out there. But that's a quite an expensive undertaking. The few I looked at, all convert the speaker level outputs into line level, while EQ'ing them in the process. Not bad....but since the outputs are line level, we'll need an amplifier to boost the sound back to speaker level. I might need new speakers too...:frusty:

It is even more complicated than this. From what I have read the Bose EQ will vary with the volume setting. So you need to pick a volume setting, feed the signal into a processor to EQ it and get it to line level, then re-amp and redistribute to speakers. You need a signal processor or amp with remote volume and/or EQ panel you mount somewhere convenient, because if you touch the main system volume knob, your signal processor output will no longer be "flat." To avoid this you need to adjust volume with the remote volume knob and keep your hands off the system control.

It pains me to say it, but such processors (with remote volume) do exist for exactly the stated reason.

JonGSA 05-04-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoto (Post 9068489)
You would think!

BTW, nice avatar. I have a 2013 GS-W (not "A").

Haha, Thanks. I got a 2011 GSA. It's my 3rd GS over the years. I had a 2007 GS then a few year back I picked up an old 95 1100GS. That thing was actually kinda fun....i kinda regret selling it. How do you like the wethead? I test rode one about 2 years ago and loved it. I had to talk myself down after I got back to the dealer. Just say thanks, it was great....and walk away back to my ole camhead. :pout::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellsafemode (Post 9068664)
Bose seems to like symphonic metal because it sounds pretty nice on it with equalizer settings all kicked up evenly a bit and fade kicked way back to the rear (so you can actually hear any audio from them) and volume at around 75%

Ill have to try that. What kind of symphonic metal are we talking here? I'm a huge Nightwish fan here. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlz (Post 9069302)
It is even more complicated than this. From what I have read the Bose EQ will vary with the volume setting. So you need to pick a volume setting, feed the signal into a processor to EQ it and get it to line level, then re-amp and redistribute to speakers. You need a signal processor or amp with remote volume and/or EQ panel you mount somewhere convenient, because if you touch the main system volume knob, your signal processor output will no longer be "flat." To avoid this you need to adjust volume with the remote volume knob and keep your hands off the system control.

It pains me to say it, but such processors (with remote volume) do exist for exactly the stated reason.

I was afraid of this too. Reading this, makes me want to wash my mouth out with a 12 gauge with the though of upgrading the Bose system. The most I use the Bose, im coming to terms with it, but sheesh...give us a hair more flexibility to adjust the cars sound. Like Glen said, at least the Vette has a few different EQ/imaging settings. Would it of killed them to add it to the camaro too.

Emoto 05-04-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonGSA (Post 9070655)
Haha, Thanks. I got a 2011 GSA. It's my 3rd GS over the years. I had a 2007 GS then a few year back I picked up an old 95 1100GS. That thing was actually kinda fun....i kinda regret selling it. How do you like the wethead? I test rode one about 2 years ago and loved it. I had to talk myself down after I got back to the dealer. Just say thanks, it was great....and walk away back to my ole camhead. :pout::lol:

My second GS, but 3rd BMW. Started with an R1100RS. I also have a 2005 R1200GS (first year hexhead), that I am trying to sell. I was happy with it until I rode the '13. :frusty: Maybe see you at an MOA or YB thing?

Quote:

I was afraid of this too. Reading this, makes me want to wash my mouth out with a 12 gauge with the though of upgrading the Bose system. The most I use the Bose, im coming to terms with it, but sheesh...give us a hair more flexibility to adjust the cars sound. Like Glen said, at least the Vette has a few different EQ/imaging settings. Would it of killed them to add it to the camaro too.

:laughabove:

cellsafemode 05-04-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Ill have to try that. What kind of symphonic metal are we talking here? I'm a huge Nightwish fan here. :thumbsup

Throw nemo on there. They got a lot of good old songs to throw on there. Or any of tarja's solo stuff.

Birthday massacre also sounds great on the system but different genre.

It this moment tends to be hard to judge because they include rasp and distortion in the track

JonGSA 05-04-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellsafemode (Post 9070905)
Throw nemo on there. They got a lot of good old songs to throw on there. Or any of tarja's solo stuff.

Birthday massacre also sounds great on the system but different genre.

It this moment tends to be hard to judge because they include rasp and distortion in the track

You're not going to believe me but lucky for you im also a TBM fan too. Damn we got good taste in music..:thumb: I think Remember Me just came on when I was pulling into work this morning from my phone. :biggrin:

Now that we're talking about it...i think they might sound great because they add reverb to all their songs pretty much. So it sounds spacious and at times...phantom like. Now that I think of it, just like the guitar part in Remember Me. So it kind of defeats Blowse's imaging and sound stage in a way.

Ill try Nemo on the way home. I know a lot of the older Century Child, Wishmaster and Once stuff with Tarja had a fair amount of reverb also mastered in to get a orchestral feel to it as well. Even newer songs like The Poet and the Pendulum are mixed that way.

....and who ever mixed and mastered Endless Forms....need to be fired. :laugh:

pdrumans 06-10-2016 08:30 AM

I keep my treble all the way up, Mids two or three above middle and bass at middle center. Fade one click to the rear. Sounds a little less front heavy for me. I would rather feel surrounded by the music, than feel like its all in front of me.

Emoto 06-10-2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdrumans (Post 9143206)
I keep my treble all the way up, Mids two or three above middle and bass at middle center. Fade one click to the rear. Sounds a little less front heavy for me. I would rather feel surrounded by the music, than feel like its all in front of me.

Maybe I'll try that. I get no definition in the mid to upper bass register at all. All deep low end boominess.

Leadrightpedal 02-25-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoto (Post 9067304)

The bass in this car is horrible. Boomy. Causes the panels to rattle. I want to insert a high pass filter to cut off anything below 60hz. I’ll take no bass over what passes for bass in this system.