CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   SS 1LE versus 15' C63 507 Edition.. Who would win? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545010)

davecamaro6 12-27-2018 09:25 AM

SS 1LE versus 15' C63 507 Edition.. Who would win?

The 2015 Mercedes C63 507 edition can be found in the used market nowadays for about the same price as a brand new SS 1LE. Both have 6.2L V8's and are RWD. I remember cross shopping between the two before I bought mine. I ultimately ended up with the Camaro because I wanted brand new and I have no regrets whatsoever. But I'm wondering which one is faster in a racetrack.. the C63 with 52 more horsepower or the SS 1LE that weighs nearly 300 pounds less.

TRZ06 12-27-2018 02:18 PM

They might be close in a straight line, but when the road curves, the 1LE will eat it for lunch. The 1LE is a track monster, the C63 is a luxury cruiser.

My 1LE with fresh tires sees 1.15G's in the corners. I bet you will be lucky to see 1g in the C63.

JamesNoBrakes 12-29-2018 11:47 AM

You don't buy a 1LE to go fast in a straight line, it's a track monster, it'll take the heavy mercedes easily.

If you just want to go in a straight line, buy the mercedes, or better yet, one of the E63 awds. Those mercedes will kill you with service and parts, costing several thousand to replace things that shouldn't be an issue and shouldn't require taking the engine out for, etc. That's generally why they are cheap, owners put a bunch of miles on them and then dump them to buy a new one so they won't have to deal with any of those issues. If you can afford to keep the maintenance up, probably not a bad car, but their potential for maintenance/service costs is way greater.

The C63 has never been the fastest around a racetrack, most vids I've seen have it screatching around and coming in behind the M3 every time, it never puts the power down on the track. I have a buddy that races an AMG C63 and it comes stock with 235 tires up front, he was racing and blew one out. Those tires are way way too small for that car, it's weight, the power, etc. It shreds the tires. That' probably contributes to the vids I've seen where it never seems to maintain traction.

The 1LE is simply better technology for a track, better chassis (stiffer), good weight bias, better suspension, better tires, lighter, etc...

davecamaro6 12-29-2018 06:10 PM

Just what I thought. Kind of given really. Just needed confirmation that I made the right decision lol. The SS 1LE really can't be beat for the price! Can't wait to start tracking it this coming summer.

WhyUMad1LE 12-29-2018 10:51 PM

C63 is badass, but not a track car.

NW-99SS 01-08-2019 12:54 PM

As an MB owner (not an AMG, just the daily SUV) - I like Merc's interior quality, but no manual option on their AMGs keeps me away.

Don't even need to get into the handling capability of an SS 1LE, but the Merc is more a boulevard bruiser, the SS 1LE is a far more precision track car that is much cheaper to maintain and repair (hence why AMG values plummet after warranty expires).

ScaryFatKidGT 03-21-2019 07:05 PM

Guessing like most cars, the Merc would beat the Camaro in a strait line and highway pulls for all the bragging rights, but would absolutely get destroyed by the Camaro on the track unless they had Pilot sport cups on it and really knew what they were doing.

I still really would like a N/A C63 V8, they sound amazing. I was actually cross shopping my SS 1LE with a C43 AMG, heated and ventilated sport seats... burmester audio, but the deal I got on my Camaro was way to good to pass up.

GuywithL86 04-07-2019 03:29 PM

Funny, when I rented a camaro ss for a week, and literally the day after I dropped it off I drove my first c63 by coincidence.

It was actually a pretty similar experience. It was a 2013 c63. Camaro definitely handled better at the limit though.

I was surprised how slow the c63 felt on the highway. It felt no faster than the camaro. The powerband was surprisingly similar.

The noise that amg motor makes, legendary

Scottyz 04-07-2019 03:41 PM

My neighbour across the road has a e63s with the 5.5L twin turbo. I have a ZL1 1LE on order. He took me out in it a couple weeks ago. His is mildly tuned too.
I must say, I have a feeling I’ll have my hands full when we hit the drag strip.
The AWD helps him a lot.

NW-99SS 04-08-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyz (Post 10483425)
My neighbour across the road has a e63s with the 5.5L twin turbo. I have a ZL1 1LE on order. He took me out in it a couple weeks ago. His is mildly tuned too.
I must say, I have a feeling I’ll have my hands full when we hit the drag strip.
The AWD helps him a lot.

ZL1 1LE isn't a drag car...at all.

Take it through some apexes and that E63 will be out of sight. E63 is a great cruiser, and they call them the hammer for a reason.

davecamaro6 04-11-2019 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT (Post 10467633)
Guessing like most cars, the Merc would beat the Camaro in a strait line and highway pulls for all the bragging rights, but would absolutely get destroyed by the Camaro on the track unless they had Pilot sport cups on it and really knew what they were doing.

It's funny how American cars are more track oriented nowadays and less "straight line only" (the old stereotype). Meanwhile, German cars are quite the opposite. More for straight line but it's only okay on the track. Definitely was not the case ten years ago. I wonder where all the Euro fanboys are now :lol:.

ScaryFatKidGT 04-14-2019 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davecamaro6 (Post 10487075)
It's funny how American cars are more track oriented nowadays and less "straight line only" (the old stereotype). Meanwhile, German cars are quite the opposite. More for straight line but it's only okay on the track. Definitely was not the case ten years ago. I wonder where all the Euro fanboys are now :lol:.

Well it's not so much American VS Euro as it is Alpha platform vs Mercedes. Chevy has come a long way sense the 5th gen Camaro. If it was a Challenger vs a M4 Competition or an RS4 it would be different. The 1LE is a track package beyond what most manufactures offer in terms of tires, brakes and aero similar to a "RS" Porsche or the M4 GTS.